Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2023, 06:29   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 41T
Garmin/Vesper Cortex M1 Support by Garmin not good.

I have been trying to get support from Garmin since April 9th for my Vesper Cortex M1. Does anyone have any contacts inside that may be able to help me? After an OTA update my Cortex has been inoperable. I have sent many messages and nothing. Trying public forum now.

If you are thinking of buying the Cortex system from Garmin I would suggest considering this before your purchase.
swhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:37   #2

Re: Garmin/Vesper Cortex M1 Support by Garmin not good.

Installed the M1 a couple months ago, works great.
Only update products if something is wrong or you need added functionality.
My Fusion (Garmin) black box stereo is a total POS, Garmin replaced it, still a POS.

I'm not a fan of Garmin, but any large group will have too many fingers pointing at meetings with too many people. Keep trying and eventually you should get through (just don't expect anything to happen fast).
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:39   #3

I have had mine installed and working over a year. They pushed the new update and since then it doesn't boot. I have sent several messages and nothing at all.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:19   #4

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Garmin support seems to be pretty poor. We have a Fusion stereo that reboots every ten seconds if connected to NMEA2000. We sent it back to Garmin, and they sent it back to us claiming that it works normally.
bergius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:21   #5

I had considered one of those Fusion radios, too. Glad to not make that mistake, too.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:44   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Does Garmin have a public forum as well? You could try there as well, often they have someone from support monitoring things like that
Old 05-06-2023, 07:50   #7

I posted on their facebook page, too. I am hoping that someone will help. It's a boat anchor at this point.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:00   #8

Any and all Garmin products have been and will be banned from this family since they abandoned us / their equipment not once, not twice but THRICE. Three different consumer grade electronic products.

I / we have vowed never to give them another dime of our money years ago.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:10   #9

Sadly I purchased directly from Vesper, before they sold out to Garmin. I had worried they were going to just take the bootloader and OTA technologies that Vesper had created and add to their products, while killing the Vesper brand. Seems like their MO at this point.

Steve
Old 05-06-2023, 12:53   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel

I almost bought a Vespar VHF M1. I posted on here about a good place to buy it and got a lot of good feedback to run the other direction. Sure glad I listened. Stayed with Icom and could not be any happier.

Count me in as another person who will now stay clear of anything Garmin.
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 13:20   #11

While my situation isn't as dire, I have a support ticket open with Garmin regarding conflicting wiring diagrams in my M1 manual (old) and a newer one found online. Neither one works here.

10 days, crickets.

Radio works great otherwise though, never had an issue (yet).
SV Pelagic Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 14:52   #12

Boat: Southerly 480

I had an issue with the Cortex premium monitoring last season. I was able to call the US support numbers - U.S. 913-397-0872 | 1-800-800-1020. The tech created a ticket and then I was able to follow-up via email.

I'm guessing you tried that and they're letting your ticket hang open?

I had pretty decent back and forth emails with Garmin 1st and 2nd tier support. Eventually, they pushed back to 3rd tier in NZ. We hauled out for the winter at the end of November and it wasn't solved. We splashed a few weeks ago (don't ask why the delay) and the problem is magically solved.

I too bought the Cortex prior to the acquisition by Garmin primarily based on the quality support Vesper use to provide. I knew once Garmin took over that would end. It has.

Other than crappy Garmin support, I love the Cortex so far.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 18:29   #13

Boat: B423

After the 2.x update I have had an even weaker Wifi connection between the handsets and the cortex. Also, the GPS data being sent over NEMA is not playing nice with my Raymarine Chartplotter/Auto Pilot anymore.

Everything was working before the update. The email support as been terrible. I guess I have to call to make a bigger stink.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We installed a Vesper Cortex December 2020. Initially, it reported a faulty antenna, but after an update the antenna indicator went solid green. I participated with their Beta program, and installed several software updates. Vesper was quick to respond to questions and issues.

Last summer I noticed that the wifi connection to my phone was intermittent and clunky to get Cortex Onboard to reconnect. It's about 30 feet from the base unit to the v-berth. We were in the Bahamas with crappy AT&T International service (another sad story), so I deferred doing anything until we returned to Florida.

The latest update I downloaded would fail to install. After several emails, I was eventually put in touch with the Vesper folks in NZ. My final attempt was to do a factory reset. That worked, but the hub still refused to update.

At this point, it was time to RMA the unit with Garmin, for $700 with a 90 day warranty. I declined. Garmin eventually replaced/exchanged the hub at no cost. Once swapped out, the MMSI was installed via remote access through the cellular connection.

I can't say enough good things about Vesper personnel & their support. Garmin support has been very disappointing on several levels, and now I'm not inclined to buy an AIS replacement from Garmin when the time comes.

Good luck. YMMV.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:37   #15

Boat: 1987 Liberty 38

My system worked great for almost two years. Vesper Marine was always quick to help with any issue. Then... Garmin.

This reply is really just piling on to the complaints in this thread.

Cortex M1 hasn't acquired AIS for the past week. The firmware was not current and when I update, it gets about half way through the process and then errors out saying that my firmware is already updated. Then it goes back to the screen showing the current version and a link to update the firmware.

Has anyone seen this happen during firmware updates recently? Any suggestions?

Ticket into Garmin and crickets. Crazy.
GadgetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin