Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05   #1

Boat: Bavaria 34 Yacht
Garmin Marine Network Loses Data

Hello all. I am hoping that somebody can shed some light on this problem.

I have an Actisense Mux feeding NMEA AIS, Fast Heading and Boat Data to my Garmin GPSMAP 3010C on Port 1. The data is displayed correctly on the 3010C. I have a GPSMAP 3005C on Garmin Marine Network connected via a GMS10 switch. For 2 - 3 years the 3005C displayed the same data correctly. Recently although software updates, waypoint/route transfers, maps and radar (I have a GMR18) transfer correctly the 3005C stopped displaying the Actisense NMEA data. Note that even when this condition occurred the GPS data from a GPS17 antenna on Port 4 continued to be displayed correctly. After checking all my connections, upgrading to latest software, swapping out cables and plotters (I have a spare plotter), and bypassing the GMS10 I finally came to the conclusion that I had a data conflict. In the Actisense Mux I am able to monitor and filter inputs. The conclusion I came to was that the Fast Heading (from a KVH Autocomp 1000S) was conflicting with the Autopilot heading from Raymarine (from a 5000plus Autopilot). There was a 7 degree difference (yes I know I need to realign my compasses!). I have now blocked the Raymarine feed and all seems to be running OK. Can anybody confirm that this is a possible reason and if not what the problem could be? Thank you.
caleroific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:41   #2

Re: Garmin Marine Network loses data

Perhaps you could change the baud rate for the different feeds; as it sounds like there's a conflict.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleroific
Hello all. I am hoping that somebody can shed some light on this problem.

I have an Actisense Mux feeding NMEA AIS, Fast Heading and Boat Data to my Garmin GPSMAP 3010C on Port 1. The data is displayed correctly on the 3010C. I have a GPSMAP 3005C on Garmin Marine Network connected via a GMS10 switch. For 2 - 3 years the 3005C displayed the same data correctly. Recently although software updates, waypoint/route transfers, maps and radar (I have a GMR18) transfer correctly the 3005C stopped displaying the Actisense NMEA data. Note that even when this condition occurred the GPS data from a GPS17 antenna on Port 4 continued to be displayed correctly. After checking all my connections, upgrading to latest software, swapping out cables and plotters (I have a spare plotter), and bypassing the GMS10 I finally came to the conclusion that I had a data conflict. In the Actisense Mux I am able to monitor and filter inputs. The conclusion I came to was that the Fast Heading (from a KVH Autocomp 1000S) was conflicting with the Autopilot heading from Raymarine (from a 5000plus Autopilot). There was a 7 degree difference (yes I know I need to realign my compasses!). I have now blocked the Raymarine feed and all seems to be running OK. Can anybody confirm that this is a possible reason and if not what the problem could be? Thank you.
Yes as far as I'm aware Garmin can not handle multiple sources of the same data. it can't on mine. ( 2x3010c,gps17, radar, gmr)

Dave

Tags
nmea, garmin, marine, gpsmap 3005c, gpsmap 3006C, gpsmap 3010c