Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 18:26   #46

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: Garmin makes another aquisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahr View Post
Unfortunately, I have learned (I am a B&G user) that ALL of the consumer electronics companies these days consider their products as “throwaway items” after 4-5 years.
I’m not sure it’s that long. I would be guessing closer to 2 to 4 years. ☹️

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 10-01-2022, 18:51   #47

Boat: Grainger, G37ii, 40ft / 12m

I come from a background of 25+ years in IT and have experienced far too many takeovers and the subsequent adverse demise of products. I purchased Vesper Cortex just last November because of their independent compatibility, not the traditional marine "proprietary" systems and ease of use. My feelings now are; Vesper and Garmin - you are now on notice.
Christmas Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:26   #48

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Are the comments about Garmin support perhaps a little unfair on the one hand and self inflicted damage by Garmin on the other - by their making it so hard to find the necessary update software?
For example, I have a Gpsmap 751xs. A model originally released in or about 2013. If you search for it on the Garmin site it will tell you that there is no software available. However, that is simply not the case.
Use this link and you will find a mass of firmware updates for various "legacy" Garmin models: https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=8745
Use CTRL+F to find your model and then click on the reference to go to the download link.
How long a piece of technology should be supported is something views will differ on. Where views might converge is over how badly written and fragile the software for Garmin chart plotters is. Computers have sandboxed their operating systems for years. So an error does not crash the whole system. One runtime error line and my Garmin dies.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:38   #49

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
I honestly think the complete 2 year near lockdown in NZ killed Vesper’s ability to update their software and features.
I can't really get behind this theory. I spent a career in IT. I know lots of people still in the field. We've always been able to work from home, even long before the pandemic. And the changes in Vesper's support effort started before the pandemic, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Use this link and you will find a mass of firmware updates for various "legacy" Garmin models...
That's really just a roll-up of all the last updates for all the legacy systems. Just because the date on the roll-up (Sept, 2021) is new-ish, doesn't mean very many of the supported devices had updates. I think you'll find most of them are many years old.

In other words, you can go ahead and run the update program, but it'll probably detect that the ancient firmware version you're running is still the most recent available.

In both cases, it's just the simple fact that there's no glory for the coders, and there's no money for the company, in supporting this years' hardware. The resources all go to next year's models.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:42   #50

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

"How long a piece of technology should be supported is something views will differ on. Where views might converge is over how badly written and fragile the software for Garmin chart plotters is. Computers have sandboxed their operating systems for years. So an error does not crash the whole system. One runtime error line and my Garmin dies."

Well said. You have made clear why I have semi-unconsciously veered away from all canned chart plotters in general. A tablet and a NAV product are more solid and also more flexible and durable as a system in the long run.

I remember the fun I had moored at the Port Orchard dock to purchase and install a Vesper XB-8000 from Doug at Milltech. It was great to see the little boats appear on "Coastal Explorer" running on the tablet. Sure was useful going around the corner heading back out Rich Passage from Port Orchard while the WA State ferry was barreling into Bremerton out of sight on the other side.

Still, in the end, any piece of electronics has a relatively short half life.
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 07:54   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Do you still have contact info for that hacker.
My 176C is going away unless I can get South Pacific and Indonesia charts for it.
Just sent you a PM.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 00:52   #52

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3

One year later, what is the general consensus around the Vesper Cortex?

I was looking to buy one because I need both VHF & AIS. And the anchor alarm and the other bells and whistles are just a bonus.

But going through this thread makes me wonder if that's a good idea?

Any alternatives?
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 07:05   #53

I'm sure the hardware is good. I would question Garmin's commitment and long-term support. But that's true with everything these days, although Garmin takes it to the extreme.

I also question the "all in one" approach. For the same money you can buy separate best-in-class VHF and AIS hardware, and choose exactly what you prefer.
Old 22-02-2023, 15:55   #54

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post

I was looking to buy one because I need both VHF & AIS. And the anchor alarm and the other bells and whistles are just a bonus.

Any alternatives?
We love ours. I'm ok with the 'all-in-one' as we have backups for everything anyway. It saves a fair amount of space. We're still getting use to the handsets. They're a bit heavy, and if you forget to turn them off when you leave the boat the battery goes down and starts beeping loudly. Neighbors don't like that - ask me how I know.

Support has been the biggest disappointment. Getting to the Vesper support team is now tier 3, and getting to them takes a couple of weeks. Problems are solved then.

We still have issues with the premium monitoring, but we can work them out while the boat is on the hard.

We'd buy it again.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 17:53   #55

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post

Any alternatives?
Long comment thread here doesn't look positive. Rumors of a new version coming.

https://panbo.com/vesper-cortex-upda...list-container
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 20:28   #56

Boat: Morgan 382

I'm pretty sure the Cortex is cstdma, and not sotdma B+. You could but a combination of products, be cheaper, and have a much better sotdma AIS.

If there are rumors of a newer version, that is probably the significant upgrade it would include. Probably even more expensive, too/
Old 22-02-2023, 21:09   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I'm pretty sure the Cortex is cstdma, and not sotdma B+..../

Quote:
VHF
The world's most advanced VHF with multi-station wireless touchscreen handsets

AIS
Class B SOTDMA smartAIS transponder with integrated splitter.

Advanced SOTDMA technology
SOTDMA is the latest AIS technology with 5W power output, making your boat visible over a longer distance.

With faster and more frequent transmissions of your position to other vessels, you'll be safer, especially at speeds of over 14 knots.
https://www.vespermarine.com/cortex/ais
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 06:00   #58

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I'm pretty sure the Cortex is cstdma, and not sotdma B+. You could but a combination of products, be cheaper, and have a much better sotdma AIS.

If there are rumors of a newer version, that is probably the significant upgrade it would include. Probably even more expensive, too/

Cortex is SOTDMA. It was the first Vesper product to use it. All of the older Vesper Watchmate line (including the XB-8000) is CSTDMA though.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 15:46   #59

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

You may want to read that:
Cortex seems still buggy , and Garmin will no longer maintain de Watchmate app, this is so precious with the Cortex:
https://www.morganscloud.com/jhhtips...r-users-loose/
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 16:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
You may want to read that...
From the linked article:
Quote:
I suggest we all write to Garmin pointing out their bad behaviour...
That gave me the best laugh I've had all day. Can you just imagine? Garmin actually reading their customer's complaints, much less doing anything about them?

Garmin is, first and foremost, an aviation electronics company. Their assumption is that customers who own expensive things like airplanes and boats will have no problem buying all new electronics every year or two. Sadly, for the most part, they are correct. You want to keep your hardware 10 years? You're clearly not their target demographic!

Tags
garmin