Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 07:37   #121

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Garmin just purchased ActiveCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I don't trust garmin even if the inital API is open. If it's trivial to implement, maybe, but we really need something that has guarenteed future.
I think this may be the key issue which has led to so much negative buzz.

Garmin is only reinforcing this by being secretive about their plans. Maybe they actually didn't HAVE any plans, and they've been making it up as they go since the purchase of AC. But still, it doesn't inspire trust.

Here's a company which makes pretty good hardware, running pretty good software, then drops support, making this good gear "legacy" after a very short time. A company which buys other companies (e.g.; DeLorme) only to dismantle them and cherry-pick one technology they want to dominate.

I like their stuff. I really want to believe that things will be fine.

But I'd be a fool to trust them.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 06:37   #122

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
My humble suggestion is to work on alternatives to active captain.
Why? Does their success offend you? I check ActiveCaptain, Waterway Guide, and couple of other nascent start-ups. No one competes with ActiveCaptain for effectiveness. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Quote:
We should all refuse to sign any kind of "NDA" for this, or anything else.
Why? Religious fervor for open source? If you want access to IP you sign an NDA.

Quote:
I suggested to jeff that it would not be difficult to "extract" the useful data out of his website using robot scripts, so he might as well share it.
I'm rather disturbed as well. Rude. Disrespectful. How do you feel about shoplifting? Maybe cutting dinghy painters if someone is in your way? Do you just take what you want regardless of ownership? ActiveCaptain makes the data they collect available for FREE and you can't be bothered to comply with some terms and conditions? Not leaving a clean wake.

Quote:
I don't trust garmin even if the inital API is open. If it's trivial to implement, maybe, but we really need something that has guarenteed future.
I don't know what sort of guarantee you want. Certainly ActiveCaptain given its base has the most reliable future.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 08:50   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra
I don't know what sort of guarantee you want. Certainly ActiveCaptain given its base has the most reliable future.
Well, this is the $64,000 question.... most of us haven't seen the new API or the agreement or terms for using it. Matter of fact, who knows where one can see the existing/old AC API and its agreements?

In the current information void, it's not hard to imagine the worst. I guess we're all waiting for April 1...

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 21:41   #124

Boat: Various

Quote:
Why? Does their success offend you? I check ActiveCaptain, Waterway Guide, and couple of other nascent start-ups. No one competes with ActiveCaptain for effectiveness. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Why? Religious fervor for open source? If you want access to IP you sign an NDA.

I'm rather disturbed as well. Rude. Disrespectful. How do you feel about shoplifting? Maybe cutting dinghy painters if someone is in your way? Do you just take what you want regardless of ownership? ActiveCaptain makes the data they collect available for FREE and you can't be bothered to comply with some terms and conditions? Not leaving a clean wake.

I agree. Active Captain is far superior to any other sites. Waterway Guide and Cruisers Net are great for the very small part of the world they cover.

We sign NDA's all the time with software companies as we require them to sign with us. Furthermore, all our key employees sign them as well. As to Open Source, it's great in theory but I'd sure hate to have to run our business on it. We purchase and license software and we're happy to do so.

Yes, I agree with you but I wouldn't call his threat of stealing AC's data to be just rude. It goes far beyond that.

There's no guarantee I'm aware of as to the future of any software and it's continued availability or structure. Not much of life comes with guarantees. None of the electronics on boats have any sort of guarantee the company will still exist and support them even a month from now. We assume they will be.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 14:24   #125

Email from Garmin relating to AC..............

"See What’s in Store for the ActiveCaptain Community"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ActiveCaptain Community Update.pdf (264.8 KB, 79 views)

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 19:26   #126

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Email from Garmin relating to AC..............

"See What’s in Store for the ActiveCaptain Community"
I took one of their web guys to work the other day and he told me about a lot of the good things on the horizon for AC. They rightfully got a lot of backlash about the way they had handled things with AC in the beginning. Some of it their fault, some of it due to some regulatory crap in Europe. I'm not sure how much of what he told me is for the public so I won't spill what he said, but I'm looking forward to what the next few months will bring.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 05:46   #127

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
I took one of their web guys to work the other day and he told me about a lot of the good things on the horizon for AC. They rightfully got a lot of backlash about the way they had handled things with AC in the beginning. Some of it their fault, some of it due to some regulatory crap in Europe. I'm not sure how much of what he told me is for the public so I won't spill what he said, but I'm looking forward to what the next few months will bring.
Thanks for the insight. Garmin has a real opportunity to turn things around here. Going back to my theory that at first they didn't really know what they wanted to do with AC, and adding in the European monkey wrench, I'm willing to cut them some slack and see where they go with it from here.

At least they've finally started SAYing the right things.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 12:53   #128

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Thumbs up Re: Garmin just purchased ActiveCaptain

Quote:

Plus 1
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:43   #129

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

The first noticeable change Garmin have made to Navionics and it's for the better.

Rather than there being separate mobile and tablet apps with separate subscriptions, they've now combined them.

It now also includes active captain information, whether this is any good or not I don't know.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 20:30   #130

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
The first noticeable change Garmin have made to Navionics and it's for the better.

Rather than there being separate mobile and tablet apps with separate subscriptions, they've now combined them.

It now also includes active captain information, whether this is any good or not I don't know.
The Active Captain on Navionics Android (Pixel 3) mobile is pretty good. My only complaint is that the AC icons don't show up until you are considerably zoomed in. They should mimic the behavior of the web site.

But that's a minor thing. So far so good, for now.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 06:09   #131

I agree. They didn't destroy it - yet. What they need to do is take all the good points from BlueChart Mobile and look at how to integrate it into Navionics -- while leaving the good parts of Navionics.

The post about not needing to zoom so much to see the AC icons is excellent info!

Tags
captain, garmin, purchase