Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2017, 15:55   #76

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop
Re: Garmin just purchased ActiveCaptain

Personally, I'm not at all pleased with Garmin since 2006. I had a 76C (still have, their hardware is v. good.) and purchased a couple charts on CD which came with one "free" update. One had to then go through this "unlocking" process which is a PIA, my sailing plans were delayed about a year, so I waited to use the update, when I did it first erased the original then I had to get the unlock code for the update only to be told by Garmin that it has been discontinued and there's no support, " can't you give me the code ?" I asked,
"No we do not have access any longer", I asked is there any compensation they had my money,now I have nothing. Basically they said,"sorry, nothing we can do". Good hardware, terrible customer care, no,I will not buy again from them.
I like AC, but will not give a farthing to Garmin. I still have the emails from them,so if there is any interest I'll find and post them.
Old 20-11-2017, 16:31   #77

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted and Relinda View Post
...it is my belief the Garmin bought out AC (and Navionics) to end up shutting them down and forcing sailors to use their proprietary stuff.
I don't think you're too far off the mark there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
...only to be told by Garmin that it has been discontinued and there's no support, "...
This is Garmin's M.O. Release a new product every 12-18 months, declare the old one "legacy" and unsupported, and stop issuing updates.

Apparently we're supposed to all go out and buy new hardware every year or two, at thousands of dollars each time.

It's too bad. Their hardware is pretty good.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 16:33   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not to argue, but when it’s still supported, the costumer support is outstanding.
My issue is that Garmin considers something old and superseded before the new smell has worn off, they take planned obsolescence to a new level.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 05:11   #79

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My issue is that Garmin considers something old and superseded before the new smell has worn off, they take planned obsolescence to a new level.
You said it so much better than I did!

The question is, what can we, as consumers, do about it?

We used to be able to "vote with our wallets," but there aren't many other options.

I think a lot of it is our own fault. When I bring up this issue here or in another forum, I've gotten responses suggesting I'm just a whiner, and implying that we should expect $2,000+ hardware packages to go unsupported overnight.

If that's the prevalent attitude, then of course Garmin will keep doing business that way.

Look at the people who line up to buy a new $1,000 cell phone every year.

I must be in the minority, a dinosaur, expecting hardware to last more than one season. It could be Garmin is just giving us what we (collectively) want.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 05:23   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

We used to be able to "vote with our wallets," but there aren't many other options.

I think a lot of it is our own fault. When I bring up this issue here or in another forum, I've gotten responses suggesting I'm just a whiner, and implying that we should expect $2,000+ hardware packages to go unsupported overnight.

If that's the prevalent attitude, then of course Garmin will keep doing business that way.

Look at the people who line up to buy a new $1,000 cell phone every year.

I must be in the minority, a dinosaur, expecting hardware to last more than one season. It could be Garmin is just giving us what we (collectively) want.
I just looked to see if they still had the Montana 600 that i use on my motorcycle, its been discontinued. That just came out 2014/15... dont remember. Another thing i dont care for is them buying Inreach. Next thing they will probably buy out is Spot.

I am not going to have any Garmin product on my boat, whenever that is.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 12:00   #81

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Not to argue, but when it’s still supported, the costumer support is outstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
Another thing i dont care for is them buying Inreach. Next thing they will probably buy out is Spot.
I'm in agreement with the above and in addition(from the top): yes, I found their customer support to be excellent during that small window before the product was a "legacy" . My experience and anecdotal checking indicate that the product is well made,e.g., my 76C handheld is still in use, albeit with "ancient" software;others have similar praise for this "dinosaur". I can only wonder what the designers/engineers who made a product to last many years,in my case over ten, then have the bean counters collaborate with the software people to shoot it down in mid-life. "The question is, what can we, as consumers, do about it?" Pretty much what we're doing now,i.e.,publicly expressing our views in the hope it'll have a rolling snowball effect, also do vote with your money, it's motivating them to speed past products to uselessness,so why not use it against them ?
I'm not so naive to not realize that this is the economic model that has evolved,i.e., the engine of consumerism which requires constant growth which I believe the race to obsolescence is used as a stimulus. The auto industry is a good example of this, but there are those who buck the trend,e.g.,Mercedes Benz, quality over quantity; you can have a thirty + year old MB and still get parts & service from the MB dealer (yeah,I know,not everyone can afford a MB),but it's a sustainable economic model. Sorry to go on about this,however it's a pet peeve of mine.
"buying Inreach.Next thing they will probably buy out is Spot.", another probable bummer. I have a Inreach Explorer, let's see what happens
Old 21-11-2017, 12:46   #82

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
I just looked to see if they still had the Montana 600 that i use on my motorcycle, its been discontinued. That just came out 2014/15... dont remember. Another thing i dont care for is them buying Inreach. Next thing they will probably buy out is Spot.

Exactly the same with my Oregon. Not more support. I only bought it a couple of years ago with a 2 year guarantee. They also pulled all the accessories for it in Europe so I can't buy the serial cable to use it a third backup GPS on my network.

Fortunately it is still compatible with all their latest bluecharts.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:46   #83

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

OK I now get it......

Garmin didn't have a easy internet gateway, with AC they have a free app (they have already pumped up with other capabilities) you can use to download and update all your charts and other upgrades, easily on all your Garmin devices, and use your devices through your cell connected device to say, take calls and messages on your MFD this makes sense and I'm over 60........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 13:19   #84

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
OK I now get it......

Garmin didn't have a easy internet gateway, with AC they have a free app (they have already pumped up with other capabilities) you can use to download and update all your charts and other upgrades, easily on all your Garmin devices, and use your devices through your cell connected device to say, take calls and messages on your MFD this makes sense and I'm over 60........
This would be fine if,

They support all the features/functions within BlueChart Mobile and;

Allow the use of Garmin maps already purchased through BlueChart Mobile irrespective of chart plotter integration.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 23:43   #85

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
This would be fine if,

They support all the features/functions within BlueChart Mobile and;

Allow the use of Garmin maps already purchased through BlueChart Mobile irrespective of chart plotter integration.
I saw it on thier web site with the AC connections to the app stores
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:04   #86

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
You and me both.

It could be GOOD, or it could be VERY BAD.
It really hasn't turned out well for those of you that use it.

See here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-198436.html

Maybe it will be split off and continue independently?
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:02   #87

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Not having actually used active captain myself, I am still wondering if something similar could not be based on a combination of OpenSeaMap and OpenCPN?

Fully Open Source? That would avoid this happening again.

Just a thought which crossed my mind....
Old 08-03-2018, 06:30   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Not having actually used active captain myself, I am still wondering if something similar could not be based on a combination of OpenSeaMap and OpenCPN?

Fully Open Source? That would avoid this happening again.
AC is pretty cool. It's all about the DATA, not the application, so being OS isn't the issue.

I'm sure that just about everyone who got into and contributed to Active Captain thought they were voluntarily adding information to what would remain shared 'community' resource, and the revenue stream for Jeff would be the ads, featured commercial services and the apps. Then, he got his big payday from Garmin, and it is now more apparent that there was no such commitment to keep sharing the data...?

Anyway, I'd really like to find out more before we go postal on Garmin. What is/was the AC connection with Polar Navy, and have any other potential AC users also been cut off by Garmin?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:40   #89

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Well should such a user community based system nit be run under an creative commins license?
I'm pretty sure many users who contributed might be really pissed off it that was not tge case...
Old 08-03-2018, 06:49   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Well should such a user community based system nit be run under an creative commins license?
I'm pretty sure many users who contributed might be really pissed off it that was not tge case...
AC was started as a business built around user-contributed data, so it wasn't in their interest to be CC licenced. I'm sure this was covered in their fine print.

As I've mentioned in one of the other new threads, the AC data is still available to everyone via their website and phone/tablet apps; i have not heard any announcement about cutting that off. So we may only be seeing Garmin moving to restrict access to the data for integrating with competing products. Right now it's time to look, not yet time to start throwing blame around.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, garmin, purchase