Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2018, 07:38   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Garmin InReach questions

I have read several threads where the Garmin (Delorme ) InReach have been discussed. I am considering purchasing one but had a question.

With the cheapest plan, what Garmin calls the safety plan, 10 location messages or pings per month are included. The tracking interval appears to be set at 10 minutes as a default. Can this be changed, and if so, to what? Can I select 12 hours as an interval? How about 24 hours?

I used to use a Spot Connect and everyone was pretty happy with once a day “OK” messages. Ten minutes is way overkill for my needs. Appreciate any input.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 07:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Garmin InReach questions

You can change the tracking interval, but I don’t think that affects the number of messages you can send and or receive. I believe the safety plan has 10min as the fastest rate available, normally you can select faster, but for us it’s not necessary.
Not sure though as we are on the next Plan at $ 34 I think.
You can turn on and off the Plan monthly, but you buy a full month.
Once you get somewhere you can turn if off and not pay if your going to be there for awhile
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:46   #3

Thanks A64. What options do you have for changing the tracking interval? Can you set it for once every 12 hours as an example?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 31-01-2018, 08:49   #4

Quote:
The tracking interval appears to be set at 10 minutes as a default. Can this be changed, and if so, to what? Can I select 12 hours as an interval? How about 24 hours?
You can select 10', 20', 30', 1h, 2h, 4h and Off.

Of course you can send location any time you want (e.g. by using 10' and switch it off after ping is send).

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:53   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have had a Spot and now an inReach.

The Spot was a piece of junk prone to water intrusion and failures. The inReach is more robust, can provide marine weather without internet or shore contact and as a delivery captain it lets my customers see where thier boat is. Additionally, it give the admiral great piece of mind that I am a text away. Or it allows me to contact an owner about a problem.

I have head of halyards parting 100 mile east of Nassau, and using an inReach with a good shore crew, a rigger was standing by for the boat. Within hours it was fixed and the delivery continued.

Try doing that with Spot

No they do not sponsor me
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 09:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
You can select 10', 20', 30', 1h, 2h, 4h and Off.

Of course you can send location any time you want (e.g. by using 10' and switch it off after ping is send).

Regards,

Carsten
Thanks, Carsten. That exactly answers my question.

I am coming from the experience of using my SPOTConnect. I am used to turning the device on only when I wanted to send a check in message. So I would turn it on twice a day to send this message. With the Inreach I am considering using it the same way. In other words, only turning it on when I wanted to send a message.

Another question I would have is what happens if I receive a text message while the unit is turned off? Will the message come through when I turn the unit on later in the day? Or does it go into limbo?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 31-01-2018, 09:08   #7

Hi Steve,

Quote:
Another question I would have is what happens if I receive a text message while the unit is turned off? Will the message come through when I turn the unit on later in the day?
Definitely yes - will come through once you turn the unit on.

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 09:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
Hi Steve,

Definitely yes - will come through once you turn the unit on.

Carsten
Good deal, thanks!

Steve
Old 31-01-2018, 17:28   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I own a DeLorme InReach (pre-Garmin.) It's a great unit and I used to sing its praises.

However, the benefits were that it was reasonably priced for the features you got, there was great support, and there were frequent updates even for "legacy" models.

Garmin's reputation on those points is very different. If I were looking today, I'd take a wait-and-see approach.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 22:08   #10

Boat: None, Currently (though looking)

I have a 2 yr old Inreach and it’s absolutely brilliant. I’ve used on land and at sea - it works the same. The previous comments about message send frequency options are all accurate. BTW, you can have it track and “log” interim positions that are then sent as a single “send”. Also, I think the Inreach support is still excellent even with the Garmin ownership. Lastly, a friend who owns a Spot asked to borrow and use my Inreach on an Alaska hunting trip - he was entirely off the grid but could communicate with his wife daily to check in and even have her change his return flight plans. He has since bought his own device. Pairing with the free app makes the device much easier to use and makes it even better.
Breck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:43   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I have a Delorme Inreach Explorer, with which I am very pleased, and was thinking of upgrading to the new Garmin Explorer because it has full integrated GPS functionality. A friend just got a new Garmin Explorer and I had the chance to play with it recently. Cool device, but chart options are very limited, plus the small screen makes them not very useful, so Im sticking with what Ive got. Using their Earthmate software I can pair my phone/tablet and view charts/maps much better that way.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I have a Delorme Inreach Explorer, with which I am very pleased, and was thinking of upgrading to the new Garmin Explorer because it has full integrated GPS functionality. A friend just got a new Garmin Explorer and I had the chance to play with it recently. Cool device, but chart options are very limited, plus the small screen makes them not very useful, so Im sticking with what Ive got. Using their Earthmate software I can pair my phone/tablet and view charts/maps much better that way.
Just got a promotional email from Garmin for a new InReach product, its a mini-InReach. Looks a lot like the older Delorme Inreach I have, but I assume a smaller form factor and new software (judging from the display). Appears to have similar functionality to Delorme InReach.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/59...%2C%20MCJT7616

Looks like this product replaces the original style, which is no longer listed on their web site.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c12521-p1.html
Old 06-05-2018, 06:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I have had a Spot and now an inReach.

The Spot was a piece of junk prone to water intrusion and failures. The inReach is more robust, can provide marine weather without internet or shore contact and as a delivery captain it lets my customers see where thier boat is. Additionally, it give the admiral great piece of mind that I am a text away. Or it allows me to contact an owner about a problem.

I have head of halyards parting 100 mile east of Nassau, and using an inReach with a good shore crew, a rigger was standing by for the boat. Within hours it was fixed and the delivery continued.

Try doing that with Spot

No they do not sponsor me
You must have got a bad SPOT. The one we bought, in 2010, that lives in our cockpit, is still going strong!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You must have got a bad SPOT. The one we bought, in 2010, that lives in our cockpit, is still going strong!
I had no physical reliability problems with my SPOT either, just coverage area limitations and failed message delivery. InReach is a WAY better solution (at least for my use).
Old 06-05-2018, 10:12   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

Nope used to race kayaks- this was how they tracked us for 300-1500 mike races. The design is fundamentally flawed. Allowing users to change the batteries leaves open the possibility of a poor seal of the battery area.

Big difference between the amount of water you get on a sailboat vs a kayak. InReach charges through a USB port- much more betterer
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin