Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2023, 17:00   #1
DGH

Boat: 48 ft sloop. Buizen 48
Garmin GPS16-HVS programming

Just looking for advice before I start.
I want to change the output baud rate of the Garmin GPS16-HSV to 4800 in order to send $GPGGA to my Icom M802. The Icom manual says it only accepts GGA at 4800.
I plan to:
1. download the Garmin software to my Microsoft SurfaceGo, Windows11.
2. Connect the Garmin cable's RJ45 to the Surface Go with an adapter, RJ45 to USB-C
3. Using the Garmin software display set the baud rate to 4800, then save.

Sounds easy. Does it work?
I could alternatively use another old laptop running XP.
DGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 21:47   #2

Re: Garmin GPS16-HVS programming

If you read section 4.1.3 of the user manual, you will note that you just need to send an appropriately formatted PGRMC sentence to the GPS receiver to change its baud rate.
Probably something similar to the following:
Code:
$PGRMC,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,*5c
You will probably find that most RJ45 to USB-C adapters are Ethernet adapters, which will not work in your case.

The RJ45 connector on the GPS receiver is a serial connection, so you will need a RS232 to USB-C adapter and you will either need to cut the RJ45 cable to expose the data & power pairs or find a DB-9 to RJ45 adapter/breakout box.

Good luck.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 19:50   #3

I have no idea what that's supposed to plug into. but it's serial data with an rj45 connection which makes no sense. I don't see how you are going to plug that into a computer and also provide it power. most likly you'll need to cut the end off. separate the power cables out and add a db9 to the data cables. then get a usb to serial adapter.

you should have picked up a 17 or 19. I had never heard of the 16 had to google it.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 21:20   #4
DGH

Thanks very much to Stevead and Smac999 for your help.
As for GPS 17 and 19, I have no idea. 16 just seemed cheap ($65) and simple for my stand alone job.
All I'm trying to do is get this GPS16 to send GGA to my HF radio at 4800 baud. When I install it in the boat I'm happy to cut the cord (short) and wire up the two power and two data wires permanently.
Prior to that I want to make sure it's doing what I need it to do.
I think I can try to connect it to my laptop with 3 off-the shelf (Jaycar, Aust) items and a little soldering: RJ45 to RS232, and RS232 to USB-A and USB-A to C.
For just checking and/or changing the settings would I have to supply 12V to the GPS?
There is also a Garmin software download, snrsrcfg.exe, which seems to be a tool for what I want to do ???
Sorry, this all seems a mountain out of a mole-hill.
Old 16-03-2023, 22:22   #5

One of these, a female DB9 and a little bit of soldering should be all you need once you have cut the cable and separated the data & power pairs.
Quote:
For just checking and/or changing the settings would I have to supply 12V to the GPS?
Yes.
Quote:
There is also a Garmin software download, snrsrcfg.exe, which seems to be a tool for what I want to do ???
I guess so. Or if you're feeling a tad geeky, once you have determined what serial port the USB - RS232 adapter is configured to use, the following command would probably also do the trick.
Code:
ECHO $PGRMC,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,*5c > COMn
where n is the COM port number.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 22:33   #6
DGH

Thank you again.
"One of these, a female DB9 and a little bit of soldering should be all you need once you have cut the cable and separated the data & power pairs."
Perfect! Good to see Jaycar have that. I was working from an older Jaycar catalogue and not online. I've got to cut off the RJ49 plug anyway.
For the geeky way I wouldn't even know where to enter that command line!

Tags
garmin, gps