Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 02:58   #1

Garim 5012 Chart Plotter

We have just bought a new catamaran and the factory fit electronics has the Garim 5012 Chartplotter. Has anybody had any experience with this Garim product or similar, and do Garim do a similar product to the Raymarine 'Seatalk' for PC connection to the system. The Garim Site does have anything like it. Looking for info before we commit.

Thanks
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 05:44   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Garim 5012 Chart Plotter

According to the manual for that unit, it can be connected to NMEA2000, NMEA0184 and/or Garmin Marine Networks. Connection to a PC is through NMEA0183 via a DB9 serial connector.

I have no experience with this unit.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 06:23   #3

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa
We have just bought a new catamaran and the factory fit electronics has the Garim 5012 Chartplotter. Has anybody had any experience with this Garim product or similar, and do Garim do a similar product to the Raymarine 'Seatalk' for PC connection to the system. The Garim Site does have anything like it. Looking for info before we commit.

Thanks
I have a 4208 and a 6208 all connected with the Garmin network, it includes radar,sounder and weather. You can attach NEMA2000 &NEMA0183 devices very easily.
Their charts are very accurate, I get around in the Bahamas with a 6' draft. I installed this system about 5 years ago and added the 6208 this year for the second helm, I have never had any issues and operation is easy.
Hope this helps.....
Boe
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 07:15   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Raymarines seatalk is not a PC connection strategy,

What are you actually trying to do?

Dave
Old 29-08-2012, 05:53   #5

We are hoping to have the chart plotter at the helm and a PC connected at the Nav station that will allow for a mirror of the chart plotter information, and maybe display of instruments. Really unsure if this is possible but just exploring. Don't really want to have a second plotter at the Nav station.
Old 29-08-2012, 06:06   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I think that would by a VGA, DVI or similar video standard connection. There appears to be a "marine video connector" on the unit - maybe that is what you are looking for.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 17:29   #7

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa
We are hoping to have the chart plotter at the helm and a PC connected at the Nav station that will allow for a mirror of the chart plotter information, and maybe display of instruments. Really unsure if this is possible but just exploring. Don't really want to have a second plotter at the Nav station.
Yes, the Garmin has a video out put, through a VGA connector, supplied but too short ( mine is about 2 meters) . I'm sure Garmin would sell you a longer one, $$$$ just allows video without interaction..
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 20:48   #8

Thanks for your input everyone. We have the Garmin installer on the case now. Will post the results of our research and install results.