Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 21:25   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Galaxy 5400 XP at masthead

I am wondering about the durability of the 5400 XP antenna at the masthead of a 50 foot sailboat mast.

I would be concerned that the constant motion and forces at the masthead may prematurely age the antenna.

The only other option is sticking with the squatty body.. unless someone can suggest a better performing whip antenna?

ideas and thoughts?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 03:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Galaxy 5400 XP at masthead

I'm using one of those at my masthead, 75' above the waterline of a 54' sailboat.

I was also concerned about the mounting of it, but I think I worked it out ok. I bought a Shakespeare stainless steel mount which has three 8mm bolt holes in it. Then I had a stainless steel plate made to fit over the masthead truck. I bolted the plate on with four 8mm stainless bolts with lockwashers and loktite. I electrically isolated it with that flourescent green paste stuff, forgot the name of it. Then I bolted the Shakespeare mount with three more 8mm bolts. It seems very robust and I am hopeful that it won't shake loose. I have done 1000 miles on the boat like that and so far no problems.

The improvement of an antenna like that over a whip is incredible. I would not go back to a whip, myself. There are other threads on that on here, if you do a search.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast