Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2016, 10:50   #1

furuno wireless radar

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has 1st hand experience with this equipment?

I am (I think) working my way towards all new navigation equipment and am leaning towards remove devices feeding an Ipad(s) on either / or wifi or nema2000 backbone

Any comments would be appreciated

Thank, Navi
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 13:02   #2

Re: furuno wireless radar

Navi I have no experience with wifi radar but lots of experience with iPad navigation on my own centre console and helping move other people's boats. It's amazing how many times people discover they don't have charts for Bermuda or wherever and or their charts are out of date. The IPad with Navionics has saved the day or reduced the risk a few times. But there are some problems. When the going gets tough and the screen gets wet you lose control over the iPad and the screen is not day light viewable.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 13:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

iPads are well suited for pilot houses. They shut down when they get too hot as well.
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 06:29   #4

I took my mini Ipad to the Bahamas and back this year velcroed to my helm station (we have a bimini) on my sailboat (it survived, I'm typing this on it right now).Mainly I used the Garmin blue charts and active captain. I've decided to get the wireless Furuno radar, too. The idea of being able to monitor it on the mini ipad or our iphone while lying in the bunk seems like a great feature, especially at anchor.
Old 25-12-2016, 13:04   #5

I have been using Navionics on my IPad and IPhone for a number of years, and although sceptical at first I found that it was a reliable and accurate as all the standalone equipment I had on my boat. ( all the devices have waterproof cases), so outside use was not scary.

Now I have purchased a boat that has no electronics, so I get to start from zero..... So the idea of all the bits being done without extra hardware is appealing

Depth/speed/temp sensor-nema2k-wifi-iPad
GPs/wind/weather sensor-nema2k-wifi-iPad
Radar-wifi-iPad

That's the general idea, but I'm at the research part of the process

And yes, if it all goes for not. I can always use my paper charts, bearing compass and my sextant.
Old 25-12-2016, 17:25   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I think the wifi one (now available also from ... Ray?) does not have the newest doppler function.

I think I have seen a newer Furuno radar with the doppler thing implemented. It is said to distinguish moving vs. stationary objects and show them with different colours.

It may be worth the extra buck if you actually use radar enough.

Probably just sit it out and wait for a wifi-doppler one. No?

Solid State Doppler Radar DRS4D-NXT | FURUNO

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 06:09   #7

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

We have migrated to an iPad-based helm station, too, and it is working quite well for us. The chart plotting and sonar/depth finder are all displayed on one iPad and the radar will be displayed on the other iPad. Like you, we're using the Navionics software and loving it.

We intend to install Furuno's wireless radar this spring. Seems like a great solution. The only negative issues reviewers have posted seem to center around iPads not being waterproof and being difficult to see in the daylight. No actual negative reviews of the radar unit itself. Since our iPads are in waterproof cases and we're on a covered bridge, the "issues" the reviewers had were never a factor for us.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 06:52   #8

Interesting thread.

What covers are people using on their iPads and does the touch control still function when the screen cover is wet?

Can autopilots be driven (i.e. go to waypoint) from a Ipad?
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 06:59   #9

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

[QUOTE=John Holbrook;2288406]What covers are people using on their iPads and does the touch control still function when the screen cover is wet?[QUOTE]

Interesting question. Our bridge is fully enclosed and high enough from the water that this has never been put to the test. Anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
No. So far, that's the only disadvantage we've found. Not a big factor for us. We put ourselves on course and then activate the autopilot by compass heading. Works great. Requires we pay a little more attention to our surroundings and position so we can alter the autopilot course at each waypoint but that seems to be a good thing.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 08:44   #10

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Interesting thread.

What covers are people using on their iPads and does the touch control still function when the screen cover is wet?

I use LifeForce covers for my iPad2 & iPhone and they have worked out well. This cover waterproofs the device but preserves the original screen. So yes, the touch control will work when wet but not sure while wearing gloves. As already mentioned, if the unit is not shaded it can be difficult to read and will shut down in direct sunlight if overheated.

https://www.lifeproof.com

I'm no electronics expert but can't imagine incurring the high expense of replacing my chart plotters with new ones (when the time comes) when there are now so many good options with devices and especially PC's. Programs such as OpenCPN seem far superior to what plotters offer, and recently came out with versions that run on Android tablets. (Probably just a matter of time before there is an Apple version). To that end, the new Furuno wireless radar seems to have great potential and I look forward to first-hand reviews.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 20:44   #11

Boat: Islander 36

Thread bump.

Anybody wishing using the Furuno 1st Watch who wishes they had gone for a higher end radar?
Old 05-01-2022, 22:10   #12

Nope … not so far

Radar works good
Old 04-04-2022, 07:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
We intend to install Furuno's wireless radar this spring. Seems like a great solution
Hello Captain, have you installed Furuno radar and would you recommend it? Thanks
Old 04-04-2022, 10:32   #14

This is a new Wally old thread but still applicable. I’ve had mine installed for two years. I would not be happy with it if I was using the radar app by itself but that would be the same with any radar. I use mine as a over lay with my TimeZero plotter application on my IPad and have been very happy with it. Recently I upgraded to a Furuno wind sensor, backbone and Vesper 8000Ais/WiFi which uses the radar network to send all info to my IPAD. A little technical to set up but again, very happy with it.
MikeHoncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:47   #15

Me too .. Still happy

Tags
furuno, radar