Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 06:55   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Furuno Signal Cables

Hi guys,

I just bought and installed a Furuno DRS2D radar system to go wit my MFD12 plotter. Installtion went fine until I went to plug in the signal cable. The plug on the end of this cable looks like a PC cable.

Here's the rub - there is no waterproof cap on the cable to screw onto the threads and make the connection at the plotter waterproof.

Called Furuno - they say they don't sell the loose. I have to buy 1.5 meters of additional cable with the plug and cap on it. Here in Denmark this costs about $250 (yes I wrote two hundred fifty dollars)

Now that seems a little excessive to me (ok - highway robbery in broad daylight is more like it)

anybody know where I can source jus the cap? or a part number so I can source this in the US and get it cheaper?

Any and all help is appreciated.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 06:59   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Furuno Signal Cables

Our DRS4D came with that waterproof cable/cap. Are you sure it just wasn't missing in yours by mistake?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 07:00   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Our DRS4D came with that waterproof cable/cap. Are you sure it just wasn't missing in yours by mistake?

Mark
By mistake or not - it wasn't in the box or the package

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 31-10-2015, 07:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
By mistake or not - it wasn't in the box or the package
I didn't mean your mistake - I meant Furuno's. If it should have been included, then Furuno owes you one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 31-10-2015, 07:08   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I didn't mean your mistake - I meant Furuno's. If it should have been included, then Furuno owes you one.

Mark
I agree, but I bought the unit in the US and saved myself about $2000 against buying here in Denmark.

I just need a part number or someplace to source it. I don't mind having to pay for it. But I do mind having ot pay $250

Old 02-11-2015, 17:21   #6

Included in the documentation with the radar will be a parts list showing exactly what is supplied. It usually shows optional accessories and cables as well. That should answer your question about whether it should have been in the box or not. Just because a DR4D includes the cable, doesn't mean the DRS2D does also.
Old 02-11-2015, 23:25   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Included in the documentation with the radar will be a parts list showing exactly what is supplied. It usually shows optional accessories and cables as well. That should answer your question about whether it should have been in the box or not. Just because a DR4D includes the cable, doesn't mean the DRS2D does also.
yeah - normally this would be the case. I checked and double checked. Neither the installation manual nor the packing list show the cable needed. I've googled almsot every variant of cable assemblies for Furuno.

There seems to be a cable available via ebay. $10 - so I've ordered it and we'll see what happens.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:34   #8

Wait, you need a cable that Furuno doesn't even make or carry? I don't think I understand which cable you need now.

On ours, the cables to the dome are power and signal. Each come with the proper waterproof connectors to connect to the back of the MFD.

Mark

Old 03-11-2015, 04:42   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Carsten...

Sounds like you need to host a little international goodwill visit for Mark...

And then a small distraction and a couple of nimble passes with a rigging knife.... you could possibly happen upon a couple connectors...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:15   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wait, you need a cable that Furuno doesn't even make or carry? I don't think I understand which cable you need now.

On ours, the cables to the dome are power and signal. Each come with the proper waterproof connectors to connect to the back of the MFD.

Mark
Mark I know this is crazy. The standard cable that comes with the Furuno has a waterproof connector for the power side but a regular LAN plug for the signal side. There is no waterprooof cap that goes over the LAN plug. (They are expecting this to be mounted indoors)Now obviously, I can't have a LAN plug hanging out there when I'm sailing (in the rain etc). Furuno does make a short cable with the LAN and the waterproof cap, but they want big bucks for it. If I buy the cable from Furuno they also supply a small connector box to allow you to connect this LAN cable to the LAN cable coming from the Radar.

I've found a cable in the US on ebay that has the connector at one end and a LAN plug at the other. I'm sure I can find a LAN connector box somewhere in a electronics store around here, if not I'll cut off the LANs and solder the wires together.

Old 03-11-2015, 16:16   #11

OK, now I understand. Ours came standard with the short cable with the LAN and waterproof cap. I just routed this short cable back inside the boat to a protected place and connected the LAN cable from the radome to it with a common female-female LAN connector. Wrapped that with some silicon tape.

So you didn't even get the short cable? If you did, I think you can get waterproof female-female LAN connectors.

Mark

Old 03-11-2015, 21:27   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, now I understand. Ours came standard with the short cable with the LAN and waterproof cap. I just routed this short cable back inside the boat to a protected place and connected the LAN cable from the radome to it with a common female-female LAN connector. Wrapped that with some silicon tape.

So you didn't even get the short cable? If you did, I think you can get waterproof female-female LAN connectors.

Mark
that is the problem. so I'm looking for a part number so I can order one from somewhere else besides furuno denmark. Just ordered one off ebay that looks likee it is the right thing. we'll see in about a week when it shows up

Old 04-11-2015, 14:55   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hi guys,

I just bought and installed a Furuno DRS2D radar system to go wit my MFD12 plotter. Installtion went fine until I went to plug in the signal cable. The plug on the end of this cable looks like a PC cable.

Here's the rub - there is no waterproof cap on the cable to screw onto the threads and make the connection at the plotter waterproof.

Called Furuno - they say they don't sell the loose. I have to buy 1.5 meters of additional cable with the plug and cap on it. Here in Denmark this costs about $250 (yes I wrote two hundred fifty dollars)

Now that seems a little excessive to me (ok - highway robbery in broad daylight is more like it)

anybody know where I can source jus the cap? or a part number so I can source this in the US and get it cheaper?

Any and all help is appreciated.

carsten
Carsten:

I tried to upload the Furuno DRS2D/4D Installation manual which lists the part #;s in the back, but exceeded file size limit. If you PM me your email address, I can send it. In the meantime, I think the relevant pages are:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furuno DRS2D 4D Cables.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	112242  
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 23:03   #14

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Carsten:

I tried to upload the Furuno DRS2D/4D Installation manual which lists the part #;s in the back, but exceeded file size limit. If you PM me your email address, I can send it. In the meantime, I think the relevant pages are:
HI Ted,

I've got those pages and the rest of the manual. Unfortunately, if you look very closely at the drawing accompanying the part numbers, you can see that the only difference in the 4 parts is the length 85 meters, 10 meters, 15 etc). Looking even more clsoely you can see that the cables havea waterproof cap onthe power side, but onthe LAN side there is only the LAN plug - no waterproof cap

Thank you anyway - it was a good try

carsten

Old 05-11-2015, 04:46   #15

Now that I looked at it, the LAN cable with the waterproof connector is part of the MFD contents, not the radome contents. Furuno lists this as standard in the MFD12 packing list, and it came with ours.

000-164-609 LAN Cable 3M 19S1129

All you need is a waterproof ethernet coupler - or a standard one wrapped in silicon tape or coax seal, or lead it inside and back out. These are common and cheap.

Mark

Tags
cables, furuno