I thought this would be an easy fix, but not so much.
I have a 10 year old boat
, with the original instruments, but I think the plotter was replaced. The Furuno
FI-50 Multi, and FI-503 digital instrument only show dashed lines for all readings. Wind
, speed, depth
, temp, all dashes. The boat
also has a Furuno
unit that used to feed the Raymarine
C80 plotter. The plotter no longer receives GPS
data. I believe the GPS output and the C80 plotter run on 0183, and there is a Simrad
2000/0183 bridge installed. The only thing that works is the FI-501 wind
instrument, as it has the transducer
connected directly to it, and only requires power.
Unfortunately nothing is marked and all cables
seem to head
down into the abyss.
I've been trying to isolate the problem by eliminating variables. First was the lever-lock terminals they used instead of micro-c connectors. I installed field service
connectors on two cables
, one of which I believe is the DST-800 transducer
. I replaced the short cable from the FI-50 at the nav station with a proper cable. Then I connected (nothing is installed, just temporarily connected until I find the problem) a power cable/tee to a 4 gang backbone connector, with a terminating resistor on one end. Then a cable from the tee to the helm
with the FI-501 and FI-503. No joy. Then I eliminated the helm
instruments and hooked up the speed/depth transducer and the appropriate terminating resistor to the FI-50 at the nav station. No joy. And so on. I've tried every combination I can think of, and nothing is working. If I can get just one of them working I can build on it from there, but so far I'm stumped. A also tried turning off the internal resistors in the instruments, and using terminating resistors on the backbone tee, as required for whatever configuration I was trying to make work