Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 02:04   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot Mahe 36
Furuno autopilot issue

I have a Furuno Navpilot 611 fitted to my Fountains Pajot Mahe 36 catamaran. For the most part it works great with no issues, however I have just this one problem.

When doing a tack, I like to use the auto tack function, this would be great, but it tries to turn beyond what is physically possible which causes a rudder error. I then have to complete the tack manually which is a problem when I'm managing lines.

I have got round the issue to a degree by slowing the rate of turn so that the rudder go to its maximum but that makes my tacking painfully slow.

Is there a way I can configure the autopilot not to make the rudder go beyond its maximum turn angle?
Nodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:33   #2

Re: Furuno autopilot issue

Does it have a rudder feedback? No pilot should go hard over if it has a rudder feedback. Normally you can set max rudder too.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:59   #3

Boat: Fountain Pajot Mahe 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Does it have a rudder feedback? No pilot should go hard over if it has a rudder feedback. Normally you can set max rudder too.
What is a rudder feedback? The display does show the rudder position marked from 0 center to 15 full lock, is this what you mean?

Also, in the settings, I did find a setting that hints at what the maximum turn angle should be, I have played with this setting but it does not appear to make any difference.
Old 07-10-2020, 16:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodge View Post
I have a Furuno Navpilot 611 fitted to my Fountains Pajot Mahe 36 catamaran. For the most part it works great with no issues, however I have just this one problem.

When doing a tack, I like to use the auto tack function, this would be great, but it tries to turn beyond what is physically possible which causes a rudder error. I then have to complete the tack manually which is a problem when I'm managing lines.

I have got round the issue to a degree by slowing the rate of turn so that the rudder go to its maximum but that makes my tacking painfully slow.

Is there a way I can configure the autopilot not to make the rudder go beyond its maximum turn angle?
You need to redo the "dockside setting" for the rudder. On my Navpilot 711 (also on a Mahe 36) you get to the setup menus by holding the menu button then hitting the round button you use to change course 3 times (while still holding the menu button). That opens up a whole bunch of additional menu items, one of which is the "rudder limit setup". It has you run the rudder full left then full right and then approximately centered and stores that to avoid what you're experiencing. There's also a "Rudder test" where the autopilot does that itself which you might also want to run.

I'll also note that if you call the U.S. Furuno customer service line you can pretty easily get in touch with a technician who is very knowledgeable and happy to walk you through things. I was quite surprised on the upside at my positive experience with them on a very similar issue.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, furuno