Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 14:34   #16
uhu

Re: Feeding my laptop with 12v DC

Since the internal voltage on computers is 12V ...
you can feed it directly from your 12V socket IF if you remove the Laptop Battery - works fine with most older Laptops.
- 19V is only needed if the Laptop Battery needs to be charged.
- can be tricky if the battery cannot be removed ;-) (Ultrabooks etc.)
uhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 14:59   #17

Buy a cigarette lighter adaptor. Then wire it direct.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 15:24   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Been a while since I worked with electronics, but you should know that your radio, television, computer and almost any electronic device never really "sees" the 120 volts AC from the wall socket. Upon entering the device, it immediately is stepped down to around 12 to 20 volts AC and then rectified into DC. That's the voltage that your device actually runs on. Almost all microchips run on 5 volts, having been stepped down from the 12 volts at the power input. I personally like Sailorchic's idea of direct wiring to a DC current source (charger, converter, what have you). Of course you have to bypass the AC transformer and rectifier or it won't work. One of the purposes of the battery is to act like a lake in smoothing out the current from a white water river. Raging at one end, smooth at the other. FWIW. The battery MIGHT help your circuitry last longer, as many rectifiers don't actually produce a smooth DC current.
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:25   #19

Boat: Lots of boats.

Bought one of these almost exactly a year ago for under $20. Works great and works with almost any laptop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQMOWCS
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:17   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I use Drok DC-DC converters for all kinds of electronics on board, including laptops, monitors, routers, etc., etc., etc.

As I understand, many of these devices are quite tolerant of voltage variations. However -- why should you risk it? A DC-DC converter will give the device the exact voltage it needs and will smooth out any variations, spikes, etc. They only cost $5 or so. In the worst case, it's cheap insurance; in the best case it means these devices will actually work.

DC to DC Buck Converter Step Down Voltage Regulator Sheet – DROK
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:48   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Bought one of these almost exactly a year ago for under $20. Works great and works with almost any laptop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQMOWCS
Yup. This is exactly what I use except the accessory I use is supplied by DELL and is specific for my laptops.
I've also fitted 12V sockets in each cabin and have double USB chargers for guests phones IPads etc.
It keeps the saloon tidy and free from guests electronic stuff.
It all seems to use far less power than running an inverter to charge the same equipment via 240V.

Tags
laptop