Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 16:27   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 25D
Re: FCC ship station license for AIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
I'd never thought about using those fields for that purpose. That's a right smart idea, especially if nobody is going to miss you for some time and they can't answer the phone numbers for emergency contact information. It's a shame they can't make it so you can upload a picture of your vessel to help in SAR operations too.

The $200 fee for a ships station license is steep considering it's the same for any size vessel. It seems that it should be based on some other factor such as recreational/optional and size. It would certainly promote more people having more equipment and that money would likely be spent on equipment instead of a 10 years license. I guess the FCC needs money to operate too, but they're raking in a killing selling off spectrum already.

Thanks for the tip Toddster8, I'm going to start updating it more often.
Back in the 70's, the FCC was required to base such license fees on administration costs. It doesn't cost any less to administer a dingy with a VHF handheld than it does a container ship carrying hundreds of thousands of tons and an entire suite of radios. The fees are different for those who own exclusive use of certain frequencies, but for those licenses which deal with shared use of frequency bands, such as marine mobile, land mobile, and amateur radio, fees are based on administrative costs.
Richv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, license