Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 13:03   #1

Boat: sailing yacht , 39 feet
external alarm to garmin AIS 600 tranciever

I am buying an Garmin AIS 600 and connect via NMEA183 to a Raymarin C95 chart plotter. No problems with that. But since I have hearing problems I would like to connect an external alarm to the AIS or plotter...
The plotter will be connected in the cockpit but I want to have this external alarm inside the boat. For example when sleeping ...I am sailing alone..
This could be a fantastic safety feature when an AIS alarm is giving a loud alarm...unfortunately too low to hear for me!
I can't see any connections on the plotter or AIS for the external loudspeaker..
I hope you understand any help is warmly appreciated!
seglarpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 16:05   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: external alarm to garmin AIS 600 tranciever

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglarpeter View Post
I am buying an Garmin AIS 600 and connect via NMEA183 to a Raymarin C95 chart plotter. No problems with that. But since I have hearing problems I would like to connect an external alarm to the AIS or plotter...
The plotter will be connected in the cockpit but I want to have this external alarm inside the boat. For example when sleeping ...I am sailing alone..
This could be a fantastic safety feature when an AIS alarm is giving a loud alarm...unfortunately too low to hear for me!
I can't see any connections on the plotter or AIS for the external loudspeaker..
I hope you understand any help is warmly appreciated!
Here is my reply from the other thread:

I can't speak for the Raymarin plotter but the Garmin 5208 and I suspect most other Garmin units have an output for an external alarm. Not a "speaker" output, but a wire that can be connected to an alarm buzzer or a relay and then any alarm you desire.

What's a bit hard for some folks to understand is, this wire does not supply 12 volts to a device, it completes a negative connection. I other words, you run a (fused) wire from a 12 volt source to the buzzer or relay and the other wire from the buzzer or relay to the Garmin wire. When the Garmin internal buzzer sounds, the wire goes negative ("sinks") and the circuit is completed.
Old 17-02-2015, 23:44   #3

Boat: sailing yacht , 39 feet
Re: external alarm to garmin AIS 600 tranciever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Here is my reply from the other thread:

I can't speak for the Raymarin plotter but the Garmin 5208 and I suspect most other Garmin units have an output for an external alarm. Not a "speaker" output, but a wire that can be connected to an alarm buzzer or a relay and then any alarm you desire.

What's a bit hard for some folks to understand is, this wire does not supply 12 volts to a device, it completes a negative connection. I other words, you run a (fused) wire from a 12 volt source to the buzzer or relay and the other wire from the buzzer or relay to the Garmin wire. When the Garmin internal buzzer sounds, the wire goes negative ("sinks") and the circuit is completed.
thank you. it sound interesting...it could be a solution for my problem. shall investigate further../
seglarpeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, alarm, garmin