Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 22:53   #1

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Epirb GME MT600G

Hello fellow cruisers,

I would like to buy a new Epirb from GME (good price). Unfortunately some retailers say, this model is suitable only in AU and NZ. Does anybody know what thet practically means? Can it only be registered in AU/NZ or will it only work in AU/NZ waters?
The Epirb is for an AU registered boat which will be sailed mainly worldwide.

Regards,

-Richard

P.S.: I have contacted GME but no good answer so far.
Old 21-09-2021, 01:07   #2

Boat: Hunter 40
Re: Epirb GME MT600G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Hello fellow cruisers,

I would like to buy a new Epirb from GME (good price). Unfortunately some retailers say, this model is suitable only in AU and NZ. Does anybody know what thet practically means? Can it only be registered in AU/NZ or will it only work in AU/NZ waters?

Regards,

-Richard

The retailers are idiots! They need to do their homework!

Any EPIRB you buy in Australia must be registered in Australia. It WILL operate and be recognised ANYWHERE in the world! Do not buy an overseas EPIRB and expect to register in Australia. The EPIRB's are country specific as regards to registration but work globally.

The EPIRB sends a signal to special global orbiting satellites that then transmit the signal & information to specific LES locations worldwide (Land Earth Stations) that then send it on to the closest MRCC (Marine Rescue Co-ordination Center). The rescue starts from there.

I have a GME MT600G for the boat, an Ocean Signal rescueMe in my life raft & 2 x Rescuelink PLB's. All registered with AMSA.
Old 21-09-2021, 02:25   #3

Boat: Expedition 36 Aluminium

Here is the AMSA information on applicable EPIRB for Australian registration. 40 South is correct, these can be registered in Aust but activation world wide will raise the required response.

https://beacons.amsa.gov.au/about/beacon-types.asp
Diamond Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 02:32   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Hello fellow cruisers,

Regards,

-Richard

As others have posted, the MT600G will work worldwide however it can only be registered in AU/NZ.

This is due to various technical requirements required in some other countries and the country coding in the hex ID code.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 04:08   #5

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Thanks a lot to all posters,

so the GME MT600G it is for less than 300$ in AU.

Regards,

-Richard (VK4WRS)
Old 13-11-2021, 21:02   #6

Hello

I thought I might just jump on the back of this thread with a question about these units.

I am replacing an old GME epirb (no gps) with the newer version MT600G.

The EPIRB will be stored above the chartable which is close to the companionway stairs but inside vessel.

Is there anything to be gained by buying the version that can be water activated? Is there any point to this if EPIRB is kept below? About a 35% price differential.

Would welcome your thoughts.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 21:40   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hello

I thought I might just jump on the back of this thread with a question about these units.

I am replacing an old GME epirb (no gps) with the newer version MT600G.

The EPIRB will be stored above the chartable which is close to the companionway stairs but inside vessel.

Is there anything to be gained by buying the version that can be water activated? Is there any point to this if EPIRB is kept below? About a 35% price differential.

Would welcome your thoughts.
In my view there is nothing to be gained by water activation if you are stowing the EPIRB below.

Surely if you know you have to deploy it from below, then you will be smart enough to know and be able to turn it on manually.

AFAIK, some other countries (USA?) mandate water activation but not Australia; there might be reason for but I dunno what it could be.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb