Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 08:43   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: End of Radio Australia HF broadcasts!

The decisions for these issues are being made by those who have limited exposure to the history or technology. They "assume" everyone has internet access, and those who don't should.

Shortwave radio has been a wonderful way to stay in touch with what's happening in other areas of the world for almost 100 years. It's easy, low tech and energy efficient.

It's sad to see such short-sighted decision making.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 08:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Did they announce the "demise" only on the internet? How would the many folks who still depend on that way-back technology learn about the fact they were gonna be shut off? Saving $2.4 million? That's $6,500 a day! Seems strange when the equipment is already there. Strange bookkeeping?
The old adage "Liars Figure and Figures Lie" may be appropriate in this instance?
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 10:20   #18

Boat: Valiant 42
End of Radio Australia HF broadcasts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I wonder how many lsteners these stations would have nowadays?

Not thousands... maybe not even hundreds. Maybe the $2.4 was just for 20 or 30 listeners.

No stats in audience because it would show what a waste of money its been for the last 10 years lmao.

Also, if HF was being listened to in Asia Africa and the ME there would be a huge bunch of HF receivers for sale on the internet.

But look. There's just the few expensive (for 3rd world buyers) sets that's been round for years.

There are millions of receivers sold in China, Africa and some Asian countries. There are hundreds of millions HF listeners in China alone. These receivers sell for about $10US in street markets. They aren't found on Amazon.

It's true the more wealth grows the less need there is for HF. The typical HF listener is too poor to be even on the radar of anyone here at CF. They don't have internet either.

Stats are hard to get. In some countries it's a capital offense to listen to foreign HF broadcasts. These listeners don't fill out surveys obviously.

There are still lots of HF broadcasts around the world. But the really good ones for cruisers are slowly going away. BBC, DW, RTE, VOA and others are cutting HF similar to ABC. Several religious HF broadcasters are going strong. A new station came online this year out of Madagascar for example. It targets East and North Africa. India has several stations operating as well.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 10:51   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

Not thousands... maybe not even hundreds. Maybe the $2.4 was just for 20 or 30 listeners.

No stats in audience because it would show what a waste of money its been for the last 10 years lmao.

Also, if HF was being listened to in Asia Africa and the ME there would be a huge bunch of HF receivers for sale on the internet.

But look. There's just the few expensive (for 3rd world buyers) sets that's been round for years.
Mark, like the head of the ABC, you really should get out more...

Plenty of new very high quality HF portables out there from companies like Tecsun, Kaito, and Eton/Grundig and not expensive either. You can pick up a Tecsun 310ET, introduced this year, for $55 delivered ex Ebay, .. and that is at the quality end of the market.

Contacts?
ABC Radio Australia

Or you could write to your local member. Or write to mine, she is an independent rural MP and is more than happy to put to boot into the incumbents at any opportunity. Contact Cathy McGowan
Old 20-12-2016, 12:05   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RE:
Quote:
Mark, we do, of'course, we're not Australian citizens, so our voice would be meaningless to AR.

We listen to BBC, Radio Australia, and Radio NZ when we are in New Caledonia, because our French isn't good enough to copy French spoken radio, which is readily available. We can't buy internet there, because we do not have a French address. We also listen to them underway, sometimes.

I have no idea how many Aussies still listen to ssb, but bush stations and other loci without reliable internet access, and Australian citizens abroad in remote places will lose a service that means something to them.

The fact that the Chinese are gobbling up all the bits of the radio spectrum that becomes available is also a bit worrying. Do you not want Australian propaganda to combat theirs?

Ann
Old 20-12-2016, 12:36   #21

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

It is a sad thing--but elect idiots, you might just get idiotic outcomes.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
RE:

Mark, we do, of'course, we're not Australian citizens, so our voice would be meaningless to AR RA.

Ann
Not so... most of RA's broadcasts are aimed at non-strayans.

And also anybody can write to an Australian Member of Parliament.... regardless of their nationality.
Old 20-12-2016, 13:22   #23

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

it just means ABC australia has lost out to successful short wave radio broadcasters by wasting their money chasing ratings (the squeaky wheel gets the grease)/ politics should be left to pollititions / it's a strange environment the coppers try to be polititions / the polititions try to be business men / the business men behave like smiling crooks and the whores are ruling the earth
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 13:32   #24

More stuff.... ABC defends decision to axe NT's shortwave radio service amid emergency update concerns - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

and also the original notice
ABC Exits Shortwave Radio Transmission | About the ABC
Old 20-12-2016, 13:54   #25

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Wow. Australia finally moving forward.

HF is defunct.

Wasting $2.4m per year on it is ridiculous.
Yes Mark, Moving forwards.......slowly.
Last week they announced that we Sydneysiders will actually get broadband connections that work, by late 2020! I have issues most days, school holidays and evenings it fades to zero for hours. Now we learn that in 4 years time we will get 10 year old technology available. Who needs simple radio!
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 14:15   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
It is a sad thing--but elect idiots, you might just get idiotic outcomes.
Hey, stop talking about American politics

I did my part and contacted Cathy, the "independent rural MP". Basically said, "Sic'em, girl"
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 14:50   #27

Boat: Catalina 470

Its all about cost cutting , governments around the world are on a money grab. I remember reading the Australian government was paying approximately 1.4m per hour in interest on our sovereign debt, this was back in 2011!
The reality is that most governments are backrupt if they were held to the same accounting standards of business.
Australians have been getting alot of stuff for nothing for a long time.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 19:54   #28

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Transmitter Dan has probably hit on one of the real reasons--trying not to "Offend" foreign governments by transmitting news over which said foreign government has no control.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 20:36   #29

Boat: Farr 1020

Not one to buy into conspiracy theories.
It really is a simple one of cost management.
Pollies have their noses so solidly in the trough that they do not use the service and they look to increase their salaries and pensions at our expense.

They could limit their first class air travel, or they could cut the funding to ABC.

The interfering busybodies have already destroyed the HF channels for coastal voyages on the basis that everyone has an EPIRB. VHF watch is spasmodic now.

Never said I was not a cynic though.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 22:48   #30

Quote:

Mark, you simply don't understand.

Its not just the HF to the pacific thats going, its all HF services apparently.

A large portion of the NT and Kimberley rely on the HF transmitters located at Alice, Katherine and Tennant creek for news, emergency updates, etc. I for one love the fact that you can listen to the AFL when cruising the Kimberley.

Most of the NT coast has no AM coverage, so reception is limited to small areas around Aboriginal communities on FM with out the HF.

This will affect many people.

A very sad day.

Tags
Australia, radio