Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 04:17   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Electronics compatibility

I think I'm not the only one frustrated by the huge cost of keeping up with technology in offshore electronics. I guess it's great that there is such rapid progress -- HD radar, solid state radar, time zero displays, etc., etc. -- but you can sure go broke updating all the time!

I'm about to buy a boat, I hope, which which is 1.5 generations behind the times -- Raymarine RL80 CRC MFD at the nav table and non-HD 4kW radar dome, and a gyro heading sensor. I think I would like to wait a year or two before upgrading the radar since I think (and there's been a thread about it) we'll soon have solid state radar perfected.

But I need to put an MFD at the helm and would like to have AIS now instead of later - anybody know whether the Raymarine "C" series MFD's will work with the older radar; will work in one system with the older MFD's?

Cheers, Dockhead
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:40   #2

This is indeed very frustrating because there is not enough "interoperability" and compatibility even within one brand going back or forward.

NK2 is supposed to address this and this may be around for a few years. I would look for an NK2 system, but be prepared for "more of the same".

Aside from all this, the GUI leaves a lot to be desired at this date. When my radar went south I went for a MFD and for a C80 with a 2KW radar. OUCH It was a lot better than the old Vigil and then I started with the charts, the GPS antenna, AIS, Seatalk interface...

I haven't kicked the tires on the new gear, only read about it and am hangin back until my gear goes south because at this date I have found that it's more than I had for many years and more than I need in a sense.

I am very happy with a small hand held PDA plotter (iQue3600) in the cockpit and rarely use the other fixed mount expensive stuff at the nav station. But it's there and standing by.

Marine electronics is a very fragmented industry.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote