Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2022, 23:19   #1

Boat: WD Schock Santana 30 (1975)
early 90's B&G Network...Error 17

Hi all,

We're having some instrument oddities on our sailboat and it's rendered our depth finder unreliable. Yikes.

We have a suite of B&G Network instruments from 1994 (VHF, wind, depth, speed all at helm plus a Network display at chart table. She used to have B&G Loran and Pilot too, I think, but those are long since replaced). Lots of B&G wiring. I removed another Network display at the helm last season, leaving the cable exposed at the helm.

Starting last season we intermittently see Error 17 on (and lose function of) on all instruments. At different times the error might begin instrument by instrument after working normally for a few hours, or the error might start immediately at power up. Watching our depth finder closely a couple sails ago, I saw a blank screen alternate with a '---' and the actual depth...all while wind and speed worked normally... before we lost all again with the Error 17.

Googling Error 17 suggests it's a water-intrusion issue. I've checked and snugged all B&C junction box connections I can find. Could this be as simple as water getting into the newly-abandoned network cable even though most of our sailing is dry? The intermittent depth reading could be related, or maybe not(?)..and if it's not does this sound to you like the transducer going out?

Any suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Sur la Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 16:35   #2

Re: early 90's B&G Network...Error 17

I tried plugging in the old Network display and no dice...still Error 17. At plug-in or power-up the other instruments read
correctly while the depth says Error...then they all go to Error 17.
Old 01-07-2022, 17:01   #3

Boat: Scampi 30-4

Other than conveying that it's ancient, you've not mentioned which B&G system you have (can we assume that it's an H1000?). Might help to tweak somebody's memory and ability to help if this is made clear.
HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 17:14   #4

Does not look like H1000.

The depth display model number is 610 00 021. All of the manuals say 'B&G Network". No model number is given in an obvious way. At Chicago Marine Electronics these are listed as 'B&G Network'. Here's a recent ad for a set of what I have...:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ta-265181.html

If it helps I will pull the other units to read the part numbers off the back. Lemme know...and thanks
Old 01-07-2022, 17:23   #5

Boat: Scampi 30-4

Yip, doesn't appear to be H1000. That's what I have. I wish that I had something as modern and cutting-edge as yours .

My depth sounder is non-functional. However, it doesn't throw an "Error 17". Being that we don't have the same systems, this information might not be of much use to you in trying to rule-out gremlins. Or, it may...
HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:27   #6

Boat: A MoBo, a yacht and 2 dinghies

"ERR 17 = No regular message being received by the pilot display or instrument system network, i.e. either the display is not transmitting or receiving network messages"

Yes, it could be due to water in the cable that carries network data.
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 18:29   #7

Thanks. Could it also be the depth display itself that's failing? Any thoughts about the erratic depth reading when it does actually read (transducer)? This past weekend we left the system off most of the time....then turned it on at the very end just for yucks and it worked perfectly the rest of the way to our destination. The Error 17 doesn't seem to correlate to wet weather or spray. I did find a UK company Tinley that says they repair these old systems and will reach out to them soon for any advice.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:55   #8

To my very happy surprise, B&G has a tech support line in Florida specializing in old B&G gear...staffed by Kevon and Jake. I got some simple suggestions to try to isolate my problem(s). Will try then report back to them for next steps. I will update this forum on what I find and my experience with this B&G service.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:07   #9

Quick update:. Unplugging the Depth display from balance of Network system let the rest of the instruments function normally for several hours. Got a used working Depth from eBay, depth reading restored and seems reliable (!). Will recalibrate new one then send old to B&G for repair. Depth now shows floating bars at random ( ___ or --- or _-_ ) so will inquire with B&G for possible causes.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:48   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur la Mer View Post
Depth now shows floating bars at random ( ___ or --- or _-_ ) so will inquire with B&G for possible causes.

Glad you got sorted. I have the B&G Network System, but rather than the dedicated Depth display, I have the Network Quad which displays Speed, Distance logged and Depth.
The manual for the Quad has this to say with regards to the "floating bars"

"If the Network Quad unit loses valid depth data due to either the actual depth being outside the working range, or to extreme turbulance in the water, the LCD display will show three "floating" bars. This shows the unit is attempting to calculate the depth and is still functioning"

Might be worth while pulling the depth transducer and giving it a good clean.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:45   #11

Thanks a lot Nigil...that's an easy and thrifty place to start.

Tags
B&G, network