Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 00:07   #1

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
DVD on Hard Drive

Because of the amount of stuff cruisers carry I have been looking at ways of reducing the amount of CD's and DVD we will carry. The CD's have been easy as we now have an 8gb Ipod Nano. Nearly 2000 tunes or 6 days of music on something the size a credit card that will plug in to the boat sound system, sorted.
My trouble is with the DVD's. I have bought a 500gb external hard drive that will be used to not only back up the laptop but to also store our DVD collection. Is there any of you IT guys out there that can help me with this. I have probably downloaded now 6 different types of DVD ripping software all with varying degree's of success. Some have trouble with audio sync, some just crash on a regular basis but none the full answer, admititly they have all been freeware. I don't mind paying for it but it must do what it says on the tin. Can anyone reccomend a good piece of software that I can rip our DVD's to the Hard drive and then play it back with a similar quality?
Thanks
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 00:39   #2

I use DVD FabDecrypter to do what the name implies and to also get the DVD onto hard drive and DVD Shrink to shrink the movie down to fit on a standard blank DVD or to take up less hard drive space. Have never had a problem with either.

The versions that will do what you want are free (you may have to search on the web sites to find the actual cut down free versions though eg under "Free Stuff" or some such). A google will take you straight to them (I think they are probably the most popular such applications) and the tutorials and help files are good to get you underway.

Also very handy if you spend time away from home travelling on aircraft and staying in hotels.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03   #3

Boat: privilege 37
we use dvd decrypter followed by autoGK to compress they are both free downloads.
our final file size is 2gig and gives exalant qualty. you can go smaller its your choice. you can elect to remove other language auido tracks also the titles and menu are auto removed to help create a smaller file.
as to the problems you have had ripping ie crashing etc.

the film compresion prosess is the most demarding thing a pc can do and depending on processor speed can take sevral hours
so a low speck pc may take 6-7 hours
i built a new dule core and have got it down to 2 hours.
make the ripping the first job you do when you switch on and dont run any other programs, best to walk away and let it do its stuff.
if you can put another fan in the case to help keep temp down or move the pc to a cooler place overheat is the main problem.

also get a high speck drive with a high read write rate as this will speed the process. i have sevral drives and find one works better than others so thats my film drive.
some films will decript but wont compress, the smallest error on the file will stop the process but when played on a normal player seem ok thats because players are designd to oversample and skip the errors.
compresion softwear looks at every bite of data and if it cant compress it it wont move on but sit there continualy trying.
its worth the efort
keep it coooooll good luck
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:05   #4

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Shrink and DVD43( DVD4free).
The hard drives are the way to go IMHO. I have 700 that will go onto hard drive. 700 disks even in plasic envelopes occupies a lot of space.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:14   #5

adaero
of topic but were are you planning to sail this season as we may meet up ?
and comepair notes.
philip
Old 02-03-2008, 09:06   #6
GreatKetch

For ripping to a hard drive, I have had 100% success with Slysoft's AnyDVD. It's very easy to use, and has never left me with an unplayable copy. It's updated regularly for free to keep up with new protection schemes.

It's not free, but sometime you get what you pay for!

SlySoft Products | Copy Movie DVDs with AnyDVD and CloneDVD

And the usual caveat: I'm just a satisfied customer.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
With iTunes you can designate your external hard drive as the place to physically store your ripped music. iTunes is also very stable and pretty much bug free in my experience. Are you worried about DRM? You can rip any CD into iTunes. The only problem with iTunes DRM is when you purchase music from the Apple store you cannot put that music on someone else's iPod....but that does not sound like the case with you.

I tried a number of different types of ripping/library software and went back to iTunes. Ultimately iTunes was the best for managing, ripping and storing the music from my CD collection. My 228Gig (241 days) library is physically located on an internal 500G drive and backed up on a 750G external hard drive. It would take over 50 DVD's to back up my collection, so forget that. You can rip music from your optical drive onto directly to whichever hard drive you choose using iTunes. You can also change whatever hard drive you want iTunes to read from or write to. iTunes of course is free.

Is there a reason why iTunes was not a consideration?...because I am doing exactly what you want to do with iTunes and pretty much hassle free.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:58   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Handbrake, Apple version seems better than the one for Microsoft. I rip to iPod format and around 500MB to 600MB. For me quality is still more than adequate played back on my 24" flatscreen monitor when sitting across the saloon. When alone I usually watch DVDs on my iPod.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:34   #9

most of you have recomended lots of diferent rip softwear
thats the easy bit
if you have a film colection of 40 films after a straight rip it will take up 200gig minimum and if you travel and take lots of picks and back them up it wont take long to fill a 500gig drive.
so i find its the ability to compress them to 2gig or less that makes the diferance and we can carry a film to another boat on a keyring flash drive.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:06   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
One more thing, you can choose whatever bit rate you want with iTunes. I copy at a bit rate of 192 kbps. I don't think any human is capable of telling any difference above that.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 16:23   #11

That's odd, you should be able to rip the DVD's either DVD5 or DVD9 into a single movie in Divx about the size of 700Megs.. And the quality is nearly just as good. Meaning, you really can't tell the difference, still excellent. I use the same methods as already posted.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 18:08   #12

There is already a lot of good information here, but my $.02...

if you have any questions or problems you should check out Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource

also, i prefer to use the xvid codec for compression...it's the best around right now. you can easily compress an entire DVD to 5-700Mb on just one pass and you seriously can't tell. I can't tell the difference on my 22" HD monitor anyways, let alone on my laptop.
VV0]2M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd