Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 12:14   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

DSC poling question

I am aware that with many DSC VHF you can pole them for their position if you know the MMSI. My questions are:

(a) do they (most or all dsc radios) return the position information automatically or does the operator/owner have to push a button to say "yes, respond with my position"

(b) if they do it automatically, do they tell the owner/operator that someone has pulled their position or can it be done without the owner/operator knowing?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 13:38   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: DSC poling question

Near as I can tell, I have to manually agree to reply.

-Chris
Old 17-01-2014, 14:11   #3

Boat: Catalina C-42

On my Standard Horizon DSC VHF (CPV-350), the position reply can be set to auto reply or manual reply. In either case, an alarm sounds when the radio is queried. The interrogating vessel's MMSI is also displayed. The interrogating vessel name is displayed if its MMSI has been entered in to the VHF's memory.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 15:01   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Near as I can tell, I have to manually agree to reply.

-Chris

Yep, just found the instruction and ours will automatically respond if I set it that way too. Sorry I answered too soon earlier...

-Chris
Old 17-01-2014, 16:38   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I am aware that with many DSC VHF you can pole them for their position if you know the MMSI. My questions are:

(a) do they (most or all dsc radios) return the position information automatically or does the operator/owner have to push a button to say "yes, respond with my position"

(b) if they do it automatically, do they tell the owner/operator that someone has pulled their position or can it be done without the owner/operator knowing?
On both our Standard Horizon fixed mount 2150 and handheld 851:

(a) the owner has the choice whether to set it to automatically respond with position or require a manual response (or turn the polling off completely).

(b) in automatic mode, the radio keeps a log of time of position polling and who polled (either MMSI# or name, if number is associated with a name in address book).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 17:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ok, that's all . . . that's what I thought. . . . but I had been told by an "Expert" that the USCG and law enforcement could position poll and get an automatic response without any indication on the targeted vessel.
Old 17-01-2014, 17:17   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
DSC poling question

Quote:
ok, that's all . . . that's what I thought. . . . but I had been told by an "Expert" that the USCG and law enforcement could position poll and get an automatic response without any indication on the targeted vessel.
The USCG understanding of the operation of dsc leaves a lot to be desired
Dave
Old 17-01-2014, 17:17   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
They can with AIS, not DSC if I understand it correctly.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 17:19   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
They can with AIS, not DSC if I understand it correctly.
Huh , AIS transmits your position , they don't poll it. If you select silent mode , no position is reported

Dave
Old 17-01-2014, 17:20   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Was your "expert" wearing a tin-foil hat?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 17:31   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Was your "expert" wearing a tin-foil hat?

Mark
^^ actually no, he was not a nut case. He operated a fleet of commercial work boats, and is a pretty sensible guy. It may be that he is confusing DSC and AIS, or he may have all his radios set to automatic response so he can poll them . . . I am not sure.
Old 17-01-2014, 17:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Huh , AIS transmits your position , they don't poll it. If you select silent mode , no position is reported

Dave
That's what I used to think until I researched it a little more. I thought it was a transmitter and a reciever, but kept wondering why they were refered to as TRANSPONDERS. Transponders reply to quieries, like the 4096 transponder I used to have in my airplane. If it got hit by a radar beam it transmitted your ID number so I was wondering why a simple transmitter-reciever was being referred to by the manufacturers as a transponder. On researching that I found that AIS "transponders" can in fact be interrogated and will respond if you send them the right signal. Guess who has access to the equipment to transmit that signal?
Old 17-01-2014, 17:45   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
That's what I used to think until I researched it a little more. I thought it was a transmitter and a reciever, but kept wondering why they were refered to as TRANSPONDERS. Transponders reply to quieries, like the 4096 transponder I used to have in my airplane. If it got hit by a radar beam it transmitted your ID number so I was wondering why a simple transmitter-reciever was being referred to by the manufacturers as a transponder. On researching that I found that AIS "transponders" can in fact be interrogated and will respond if you send them the right signal. Guess who has access to the equipment to transmit that signal?
AIS is mistakenly described as a transponder, it's is actually a transceiver. Lets leave aside the discussion of class A AIS , which has extensive telecommand control including optionally using DSC ch 70.

For class B , if you disable the transmitter( ie silent mode) , no one can " request" or get your position. Despite what the tin foil hat brigade think , AIS specification is in the public domain and s was never really designed as a security system. ( because its exceptionally easy to spoof )

Dave
Old 17-01-2014, 18:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
AIS is mistakenly described as a transponder, it's is actually a transceiver. Lets leave aside the discussion of class A AIS , which has extensive telecommand control including optionally using DSC ch 70.

For class B , if you disable the transmitter( ie silent mode) , no one can " request" or get your position. Despite what the tin foil hat brigade think , AIS specification is in the public domain and s was never really designed as a security system. ( because its exceptionally easy to spoof )

Dave
You may in fact be protected in silent mode, but message 19 (Extended Class B position Report) is only transmitted when polled by a coast station. Since it only transmitts that message when polled, that makes it a transponder. Now if I only knew what "Coast Station" was I would know who was checking up on me.
Old 17-01-2014, 18:14   #15
Nearly an old salt

DSC poling question

Quote:
You may in fact be protected in silent mode, but message 19 (Extended Class B position Report) is only transmitted when polled by a coast station. Since it only transmitts that message when polled, that makes it a transponder. Now if I only knew what "Coast Station" was I would know who was checking up on me.
Yes message 19 is a holdover from the unimplemted. aIS class B SOTDMA specification. ( as it uses two slots. ) AIS class B can respond to message request 18, 19, 24 all of which provide position reports. 18, 24 are single slot protocols and can be requested from any equipped class A system , because message 19, is a two slot system , only the base station as defined in the ITU/IMO spec can guarantee reception of message 19. ( CSTDMA is a single slot system only )

Again if you turn off the transmitter you cannot respond to the few class B telecommands. In fact to my knowledge some leisure AIS units don't even implement these features.

It's certainly not what you feel it is.

Dave

Tags
dsc