Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2019, 17:13   #16

Boat: O'Day 34
Re: Drone Use While Underway

http://https://youtu.be/OvIM939pXfs
We do it on the powerboat both at anchor and under way but...
The rigging on my sloop gets in the way.
Here’s a link to one of our trips from a DJI phantom 3
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 18:06   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I looked at the waterproof drones, but I was suspicious of their ability to handle salt water long term. And if you want to use the drone for filming, the Dji range is hard to beat.

The return to home issue is a worry. Even if the boat doesn't move or swing at anchor, the gps positioning isn't perfect and the drone can misplace it's position enough to cause issues in a confined space. I think I would dinghy to land, launch the drone from land and film the boat as it sailed by. When you buy a dji drone, you can take out an optional insurance type policy for the first year that offers up to two replacement drones more or less for free if you destroy them. This cover works out at about 10% of the purchase cost and you need to buy it very soon after purchase.

One cool thing you can do on a boat is use the drone as a kind of gimballed gopro. Just hold it by hand while recording, no need to fly it at all. Considering how expensive gimbals are, it helps justify the purchase price of the drone!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 18:49   #18

Boat: Beneteau 473

If you dedicate the time to learn to fly the drone like a pro using it off a moving boat is no issue at all. You can fly it right into your hand. But it does take some time and dedication to learn. You could get a waterproof drone and and land it in the water near the boat and pick it up. Personally I think it's a great thing if you anchor and would like to send it up for photos or just entertainment. Unless you are flying it near other boats. That could lead to some issues. If you don't get proficient it will be one of those things you might try a few times and never use it again.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 19:32   #19

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
Great discussion gang! So it seems like a couple possibilities:
  • A waterproof drone, after a search it does look like there are some quality, feature and cost compromises vs. DJI drones
  • A DJI drone, perhaps a used Phantom 4. One thought I had is putting floats on the struts, such as this: https://www.amazon.com/STARTRC-Prote...ustomerReviews There are downsides with shorter battery life and substantial increase in windage, not to mention being able to retrieve it before it capsizes, so not sure this is practical.
Seems inevitable with either solution you will end up $1500 poorer.

Ah, but the memories!

Any more thoughts here?
I rigged some foam floats similar to the ones you linked to, but I used closed cell pipe insulation. It works, but only to keep the drone from sinking. In waves that means you can recover your drone and IF you have DJI's all-hazards warranty you get it replaced. However, the floats add too much wind resistance and the drone will not be as fast, and can become unstable in winds as low as 15 knots.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 20:49   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I have a mavic pro and used it on the boat for the last couple of years. I do use it underway but it can be challenging to retrieve. I turn off all the sensors and the landing assist. Having a cat helps with more room on the foredeck. Most times it not too bad but the person catching needs to be prepared to really hang on because the drone will go to max power the instant it is caught (it is trying to hover stationary and the boat is moving). A solution to that is to instantly flip the drone upside down which kills the motors (crash protection). You also need to factor in the apparent wind speed which in most cases will require sport mode to keep up with the boat.

While I have had some close calls, the photos you can take are truly awesome.
Click image for larger version

Name:	org_a121f633bf9a9d5c_1543581886000~2.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	189146
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 13:19   #21

What about a small blimp or helium filled ballon with tether and a dictional camera.
Maybe more old school but less costly and if the objective is to see further over the horizon??
Cheers
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 13:20   #22

Directional not dictional camera, soory.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 14:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
Wondering about the realistic feasibility of carrying and using a drone while underway. I have no experience with them but the footage I've seen is amazing. Anyone have experience?

Seems like the hard parts would be 1) keeping it out of the water, and 2) retrieving it as I think you would have to physically grab it, not try to land it on the moving boat?

Maybe this is just a drone suicide mission...

It doesn't seem so difficult

The drone appears to be a DJI Phantom
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 15:50   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Wow! hairy stuff and great footage

I have a feeling those drones were considered expendable...wonder how many they lost?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:07   #25

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I’m sure the sponsors would have happily paid for a drone just for that minute’s footage, if they had had to pay (which they probably didn’t). It’s a bit different when it’s your boat buck you’re throwing overboard...

I have a Spark which I’m practising with, but still don’t have the guts to try when sailing. My problem is that I’ll be the one catching as well as driving.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:55   #26

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eagle View Post
It doesn't seem so difficult

The drone appears to be a DJI Phantom

EPIC!!!

Looks like a used Phantom 4 or two with the grab handles is the way to go, with a LOT of practice!

This one also blows me away:
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 17:50   #27
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
What about a small blimp or helium filled ballon with tether and a dictional camera.
Maybe more old school but less costly and if the objective is to see further over the horizon??
Cheers
I have often thought of this as a low tech solution to having a perimeter sentry.
all battery power used to camera control and transmission.
Old 02-04-2019, 18:02   #28

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I have a Phantom 4 that I bought used. I'm not brave enough to fly it underway yet. Just anchorages so far. Waiting for calmer conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0249.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	189263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0238.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	189264  

Old 02-04-2019, 18:29   #29

If you have superhuman skill....

https://youtu.be/c09f2HIULiI

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 19:00   #30

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I used to launch my Mavic Pro while the boat was moving, get my shots and then stop the boat and land it on the deck (catamaran). (I can't talk my wife into catching the thing as it looks way too much like a flying weed-whacker). Then, one day, the thing fell like a brick immediately after takeoff, landing in the dinghy. After 4 more trials with the same results, I had to give up taking off while underway. Something about taking off from a moving playform was too much for it, even though I had done it dozens of times previously, and the motors would just shut off. I always fly with the sensors turned off. Now I only fly from anchor, or with the boat stopped in calm conditions. I would love to pick up a Phantom 3 so I can do sailing shots again.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote