Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 11:40   #1

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Does the B&G Forwardscan provide DEPTH data?

I know sounds like a stupid question.. but figured I would ask anyway.

But thinking of getting forwardscan for my boat. I HAVE a DST800 triducer now. works great.

Aside from the forward scan information, does the FS transducer provide the same depth information/N2k sentence to the NMEA2000 network as the DST800? It will be hooked up to my Vulcan 5 (accepts the FS transducer). Will I basically have 2 depth sounders?? If I remove the DST800, will the depth on my triton displays and plotters on my network show the depth?

My thought was this:

I have my DST800 in a fairing block, so the bottom is parallel to the earth so the depth works properly. I also have an unused hole in my boat from a previous speed transducer, but is not parallel to the earth, so not ideal for depth.

I was going to move the DST800 to the unused hole, and use the speed and temp only the DST800 transducer, and get the depth from the FS (if it outputs depth to the N2k network in the proper sentence)

Thoughts if this would work? Or do I need to make a new fairing block for the other hole for the FS transducer (which is what I am trying to avoid)!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 13:04   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)
Re: Does the B&G Forwardscan provide DEPTH data?

I have a new (this year) B&G setup with forward scan. It’s really cool at slow speeds when gunking to see rocks and shallowing. But it isn’t nearly as reliable at depth measurement as a true depth transducer and flakes out at speed. I would not trust it as my primary depth. It also doesn’t show depth from forward scan on the Triton displays (only on the map. Zeus display as a graphic so split screen with chart; it also can draw a small graphic in front of your boat on the chart from forward but it lacks any detail other than as a warning of low water coming but I’ve not found it useful). My advice is make sure you have a true, quality depth sounder. And then if your depth flakes out, you at least have some level of redundancy.

Also make sure to remove it before being hauled as it projects below the hull (you should consider doing that anyway for all transducers to avoid them getting destroyed by the lift harness)

Glad to answer any questions about it.
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 17:25   #3

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Thanks..

I wasnt sure if it was a true depth sounder as well as forwardscan..

Looks like I will keep the depth the way it is and make a fairing block for the FS transducer.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 08:58   #4

Can you please describe the location of your ForwardScan and speed/depth transducers, relative to your bow, keel and centerline? I’m putting mine in and am interested in what worked well for others. Thanks!
dougcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, dsc