Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 17:42   #91

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Does anyone actually use DSC?

If, in an emergency, all that has to be done is activate the DSC alert function, to send an automated MayDay, sent with your vessel lat/Lon and vessel description, to the USCG, or other vessels within range of your VHF transmission that are equipped with a VHF radio. If you’re sailing shorthanded or have someone on- board unfamiliar with radio protocol or gets stressed in an emergency situation, makes it far easier to get the distress call transmitted. Just another option to have at your disposal when the EHTBD!
Chuters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 12:41   #92

Boat: Catalina 470

1) Yes, I do use DSC....although mostly HF-DSC, I have occasionally used VHF-DSC...

My use of VHF-DSC (other than testing) has been to raise vessels that weren't responding to Ch. 16 and Ch 13 calls...
A few of these VHF-DSC calls I made were individual calls to vessels which I had their MMSI# from their AIS transponder...but...
But, most of the VHF-DSC calls I've made were, "All-Ships Calls", where I was hoping to get a response....(and all, except one, responded instantly via DSC and/or Ch. 16)

And, of course I'd use DSC in a Distress situation...and/or in a safety or urgency situation, as well....

{you do realize that the GMDSS, and hence DSC, has been with us now for ~ 25 years....developed in 1992....rolled out in the mid-90's.....and fully operational / mandatory for all ~ 180 signatory nations and all SOLAS-grade vessels, in Feb 1999....so, DSC is nothing new....and, while some US-based sailors have never accepted, in many parts of the world it was adopted early and is used daily by 1000's of vessels....}

2) I'd like to add some helpful (?) info here...

But, first I need to state up front that I was confused by the disconnect between this discussion's "title" and the actual words posted by the original poster "BillKny"....as the title asks "Does anyone actually use DSC?", but the words posted were more statements that BillKny doesn't use DSC and doesn't see a need for it....
So, there didn't appear to be any reason to respond...

But then, I read a good deal of replies that have erroneous info or are looking for some help...

So, if you'd like to see / learn a bit more about VHF-DSC, have a look here:

VHF-DSC
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...J6QugtO2epizxF

And, if you are really looking for more DSC info....have a look here:
HF-DSC
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX

And, if looking for info on:
Maritime HF Comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Icom M-802 Instruction
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr

Offshore Sailing
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KgTCj15iyl6qoY

I hope some of what I wrote here, and some of these links, are helpful?

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 15:11   #93

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
True, but the beauty is the combination, when you can initiate easily a DSC call from your AIS. I don't see myself entering MMSI on the VHF via the fly-wheel except in dire need, but from the AIS target list, it's just a button-press away.

I guess this is the most common way to make DSC-Calls and it has the biggest chance to make DSC used more.
This is so true. I have never used DSC. Just considered it that "emergency thing". Was out of my friends boat last weekend and he has an ICOM M506. Shows all AIS targets, select one, initiate call. Can do it both from the radio or the command mic. Mind was blown. Suddenly it became obvious of course this is how it should work. So easy.

If every VHF radio down to the $100 model could do that DSC would be a lot more common. Trying to enter a MMSI manually on a radio with no keypad is just too much of a pain compared to calling on the hailing channel.

I am now convinced it is simply a poor usability interface in most radios.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 15:42   #94

Boat: Rafiki 37

I use it a fair bit, mainly when buddy boating (as I have to explain how to use it to the other boat). It's a great tool for private communication and I wish more people used it as it frees up the hailing channels.

Conversely, It's also great fun set off your friends DSC alarm for the first time as it's normally an ear-piercing alarm that they haven't heard before causing panic
Old 30-03-2021, 16:17   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.seguin View Post
BillKny,

The DSC to the USCG is totally good and glad to have it.

Armand
Armand,

So when does the USCG actually USE DSC? The times I have been hailed by the USCG or Navy they call me on 16, just like everybody else. I broadcast on AIS, so my MMSI number is available on everybody's chart plotter, so if there was anybody out there using it, I assume I'd get a DSC alert once in a while...

In my part of the world (from the central Caribbean to Maritime Canada) nobody ever uses it, as far as I can tell, and I am out there a LOT.

The first time I actually get a DSC station call from a LE, Naval, or commercial vessel I'll bump it up on my priority list. If that method of communication ever becomes common, I'll happily join the party.

I guess I am lucky... when I need to talk to people on the radio, they have always just answered me on CH16. When they call me, I answer them. I just don't see the great benefit of throwing DSC in the mix. As far as I can tell commercial traffic doesn't use it among themselves at all

I really think it is better to contact people by the way they are most used to being contacted. I also feel very strongly that safety is enhanced when EVERYBODY can hear the passing arrangements being made. There is no benefit--and a lot of functionality lost--by pushing those conversations to a "private" line.

Right now I am in South Florida, a REALLY busy place on the water. Even here, on a busy weekend, there is plenty of bandwidth on CH16 to get a hail in.

I am not at all opposed to cool new things, my boat is loaded with them... I just don't see this one being used.

I (now) know there are a few people who do use it, but not in ways I see adding any value to my routine communications mix. but I'm still listening...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 18:39   #96

Quote:
BillKny,

The DSC to the USCG is totally good and glad to have it. And, while the basic functionality is built in to contact a group, etc., the interface to do so totally sucks. That is why very very few use the "capabilities." While a tad unfair, think of what a cellphone can do....without even a manual supplied!! I say unfair as VHF radios likely sell a comparative handful as compared to cellphones in the billions.
The Cortex unit by Vesper Marine takes the VHF (and other features) takes VHF calling to another level. Like, you touch a boat/ship on the screen and call them!

Armand
Quote:
BillKny,

The DSC to the USCG is totally good and glad to have it.

Armand
Armand,

So when does the USCG actually USE DSC? The times I have been hailed by the USCG or the Navy they call me on 16, just like everybody else. I broadcast on AIS, so my MMSI number is available on everybody's chart plotter, so if there was anybody out there using it, I assume I'd get a DSC alert once in a while...

In my part of the world (from the central Caribbean to Maritime Canada) nobody ever uses it, as far as I can tell, and I am out there a LOT.

The first time I actually get a DSC station call from a LE, Naval, or commercial vessel I'll bump it up on my priority list. If that method of communication ever becomes common, I'll happily join the party.

I guess I am lucky... when I need to talk to people on the radio, they have always just answered me on CH16. When they call me, I answer them. I just don't see the great benefit of throwing DSC in the mix. As far as I can tell commercial traffic doesn't use it among themselves at all

I really think it is better to contact people by the way they are most used to being contacted. I also feel very strongly that safety is enhanced when EVERYBODY can hear the passing arrangements being made. I see no benefit--and a lot of functionality lost--by pushing those conversations to a "private" line.

Right now I am in South Florida, a REALLY busy place on the water. Even here, on a busy weekend, there is plenty of bandwidth on CH16 to get a hail in.

I am not at all opposed to cool new things, my boat is loaded with them... I just don't see this one being used. I (now) know there are a few people who do use it, but not in ways I see adding any value to my communications mix. but I'm still listening...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 12:02   #97

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

[QUOTE=BillKny;3377175]

How do you know that no one is using DSC?
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 13:46   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
True, but the beauty is the combination, when you can initiate easily a DSC call from your AIS. I don't see myself entering MMSI on the VHF via the fly-wheel except in dire need, but from the AIS target list, it's just a button-press away.

I guess this is the most common way to make DSC-Calls and it has the biggest chance to make DSC used more.
Thank you for clearing that up. Knowing the precise name of a ship is extremely helpful. Most commercial vessels wont answer unless you call the specifically.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 20:34   #99

Boat: Nauticat 32

I’ve used it a bit. I mainly use it to position request my neighbors who don’t have an ais transponder. I’m still able to see where they are on the chart because of of DSC. It is nice to be able to “call” them and not have to hail the whole world just to find out how much swell there is in the anchorage they are in. DSC is definitely for personal communication. I’ve never DSC called a freighter, as I’ve not had the need. But I have had a few not respond to my hail. I’ll try DSC next time. On the CA coast, we have a lot of freighter traffic here and that might be a nifty trick to try.

I’ve experienced a couple DSC distress calls also. They usually end with the CG making contact and then asking them to stop
pushing the red button and just stand by on channel 16.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc