Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 09:22   #31

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: Does anyone actually use DSC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Used it with a couple of friends; it was great in those cases.

But unbelievably most I know don't even seem to understand what a MMSI # is (and haven't programmed their radios -- which IS allowed to be carried out by individuals here in Canada). Getting them to DSC calls... nope.

Too bad, 'cause it IS nice.
I am not sure about this, but I seem to remember that the last Standard Horizon VHF Radio that I bought here in the US would not let me even use the radio until I programmed in the MMS I number.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 09-03-2021, 09:24   #32

Boat: Islander 36

When I was in Mexico, I remember hearing Aussies making fun of the yanks for not using DSC.

This thread has motivated me to learn to use it.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:31   #33

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Never used DSC Calling and probably never will. Fingers crossed I'll never need to use the DSC Distress but it is nice to know in a real SHTF moment I can hit the red button and an automatic distress call is sent out with my position.

But frankly until someone makes a VHF with a convenient keypad to enter the numbers I'm never going to do the scroll up, down, left, right click to enter a stream of numbers just to call someone. It's too bloody difficult to see the number on the small screen of my radio and it's probably quicker to call any sailing friends by mobile phone anyway. WhatsApp anyone?

Oh and don't ask me to recall my MMSI number
+1 for sure.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 09-03-2021, 09:38   #34

Boat: Tartan 37C

Very interesting reply's. I have had a DSC equipped VHF radio for many years and yet to receive an actual distress call.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:51   #35

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
But frankly until someone makes a VHF with a convenient keypad to enter the numbers I'm never going to do the scroll up, down, left, right click to enter a stream of numbers just to call someone

Standard Horizon GX5500s
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:57   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . But frankly until someone makes a VHF with a convenient keypad to enter the numbers I'm never going to do the scroll up, down, left, right click to enter a stream of numbers just to call someone. It's too bloody difficult to see the number on the small screen of my radio and it's probably quicker to call any sailing friends by mobile phone anyway. WhatsApp anyone?
Been made for years: Click image for larger version

Name:	ICM60422.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	234180

If you have your VHF hooked up to your network, you can most likely call by clicking on a vessel on your chart plotter, too -- that's even more convenient.

For the Coast Guard, your sailing buddies, etc. -- enter the MMSI numbers into your radio's directory, and you won't need to enter the MMSI every time.

But if you're in range of mobile phone towers, I don't disagree about mobile phone usage.

Quote:
Oh and don't ask me to recall my MMSI number
I keep mine on a laminated card affixed to my instrument panel. In all interactions with the Coast Guard in our parts you are asked for your MMSI. And if you get into a distress situation, God forbid, you will likely be asked for it. I would suggest doing the same.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:05   #37

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Have used it to contact ships when at sea. They get a specific ring on the bridge so they know someone is trying to contact them specifically. Much better than saying "Hailing southbound ship approximate postion XX N , XX W. This is ______ off your starboard bow."
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:06   #38

I had DSC on my VHF radio and used it. It works very well for calling specific friends. When you are travelling as a buddy boat or as a group it is very convenient to call using DSC because it is almost like a telephone call. It is also handy when you want to talk to a commercial vessel. They are more likely to answer you than a "freighter freighter off my starboard bow".
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:06   #39

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

And also good if you want to try and talk to someone without the whole cruising net following you to another channel.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:13   #40

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I keep mine on a laminated card affixed to my instrument panel. In all interactions with the Coast Guard in our parts you are asked for your MMSI. And if you get into a distress situation, God forbid, you will likely be asked for it. I would suggest doing the same.

I had a small 1x3 plaque made up with the boat name, MMSI and call sign on it. It's adhered to the top of the VHF at the nav station next to my helm. Cost me $8 from Amazon. Looks like the picture below (no, I'm not worried about having the numbers visible, they're publicly searchable anyway).

This does remind me, when I first got the MMSI I had them put down the CT reg numbers as the official number. I should either get that changed to the current NY numbers or to the HIN (boat isn't documented).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191110_142521_01.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	234182  
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:23   #41

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
Very interesting reply's. I have had a DSC equipped VHF radio for many years and yet to receive an actual distress call.
Odd. Are you sure you never had your radio alarm go off? (If not, perhaps MMSI is not programmed or it is not DSC.)

We have received MANY "all ships" distress calls!
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:19   #42

Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan

I'm planning on getting a Vesper Cortex so I can click on a AIS target on the VHF handset display and initiate a DSC call. Would have been very useful when sailing through the Straights of Gibraltar last November. Manually transposing the MSII from my Raymarine MFD to my old VHF DSC radio is too much of a bother and in bad weather when in stress possibly not even possible.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 14:48   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Position polling can be fantastically useful. Sometimes I use position polling just to verify location of the mothership from the dinghy or vice versa, or with friends when sailing in company.
DH, I've never used any of these DSC features, and do not see how locating the home base from the dink works. Don't you get a lat/lon as the response? Do you carry a chart to then plot the coordinates, or do you transfer them into some nav app on a phone... how do you do this?

And re the person relating Aussies teasing Yanks about not using DSC: must be some other brand of Aussies there in Mexico... the ones around here don't even know what DSC is for the most part!

Jim
Old 09-03-2021, 15:24   #44

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I have never used the DSC function on my Standard Horizon GX2000.

I wish I didn't have it because the GPS requirement means that I need to keep my GPS on 24 hours a day or the radio sets off an alarm every 4 hours.

Bad enough when I am home, I can just quickly kill the alarm. but if I forget and leave the radio on when I am gone after 4 hours it sounds the alarm and agrevates my neighbors.

And finally, I view it as a safety issue:

Since I don't want to be awakened at midnight I now turn off my VHF when I go to bed, thereby potentially missing any emergencies which might happen during the night.

I am pretty irritated that the ITU guys sitting in their offices in Switzerland have imposed this on us.
Old 09-03-2021, 16:06   #45

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I have never used the DSC function on my Standard Horizon GX2000.

I wish I didn't have it because the GPS requirement means that I need to keep my GPS on 24 hours a day or the radio sets off an alarm every 4 hours.

Bad enough when I am home, I can just quickly kill the alarm. but if I forget and leave the radio on when I am gone after 4 hours it sounds the alarm and agrevates my neighbors.

And finally, I view it as a safety issue:

Since I don't want to be awakened at midnight I now turn off my VHF when I go to bed, thereby potentially missing any emergencies which might happen during the night.

I am pretty irritated that the ITU guys sitting in their offices in Switzerland have imposed this on us.

I just hooked a dedicated GPS puck to the radio using a dc-dc buck power supply to feed it 5v. All in it was less than $100 and the power consumption is imperceptible.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc