Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 21:54   #16

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Does anyone actually use DSC?

We have Standard Horizon fixed and portable DSC radios on board. They have separate MMSI numbers that gives access to lots of features. We can anchor watch from shore by position polling the fixed set from the portable. The portable is waterproof and can be set to go off wake up when it contacts with water. Position polling the portable from the fixed set gives a very effective MOB system. Position polling the portable carried in the dinghy from the fixed set enables the plotting of a route through coral. Portable DCS radios have a different licensing system.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 22:10   #17

If you're travelling in convoy, a buddy list is useful, and I think you can DSC group call a buddy list.
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 22:53   #18

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
Usually DSC is used with AIS system when you get the mmsi number from the AIS system. If you do not have AIS then dsc is almost useless.
I do not think this is correct. MMSI number does not come from AIS. You register your vessel with your local relevant authority and they provide you with a MMSI. This is used to program your EPIRB, VHF (DSC Distress) etc. Your VHF would have to have a GPS input for DSC distress alarms. You do not need to have AIS for any of this.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:35   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
I do not think this is correct. MMSI number does not come from AIS. You register your vessel with your local relevant authority and they provide you with a MMSI. This is used to program your EPIRB, VHF (DSC Distress) etc. Your VHF would have to have a GPS input for DSC distress alarms. You do not need to have AIS for any of this.

With AIS, it's easy to call another boat by MMSI. AIS will give you their MMSI along with their name and other info, making it possible to call them using DSC without them needing to give you their MMSI ahead of time.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
With AIS, it's easy to call another boat by MMSI. AIS will give you their MMSI along with their name and other info, making it possible to call them using DSC without them needing to give you their MMSI ahead of time.
Yes that is correct but...
You do not “get your mmsi from the ais system”
You do not NEED ais to have dsc, they are not related! They are different pieces of equipment!
Old 09-03-2021, 06:43   #21

Okay my bad!
A misunderstanding! What happens when you read stuff in a hurry on your phone!!!

Apologies.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:40   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

I have wondered this as well.

I have my DSC connected with my MMSI and my AIS system, meaning I can click on a boat on the chartplotter, see all their AIS info, and 1-click call them using DSC.

I have never received a reply, except for the single time I intentionally prearranged with a friend with DSC to be on his boat at an exact time to test the system

Even the few times I've needed to hail a supertanker in a shipping lane, they did not answer a DSC call, and I had to hail them on 16 by name old-school to get a response.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:41   #23

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post
DSC may be a convenience anyone can do without, but the Distress Calling function depends on having the MMSI number programed. That feature is worth the effort, when the button is hit your info and location is broadcast and another vessel or the Coast Guard can DSC back to you. If your hands are full with some emergency you may save time not repeating boat info and location (might not stop some from asking for it though).
Here in the US the MMSI number is free, programming it into the radio is easy and a one time operation. Without the MMSI number nobody can DSC call you, they wouldn't know your ID or position when you are calling.
Maybe you won't use DSC, hopefully you won't need the Distress function, but if it available on the radio why not enable it? That function might become invaluable some dark and story night.
+1. Absolutely.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:47   #24

Boat: Antares 44i

That is brilliant. Thanks, I'll use the function for that in the future!
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:49   #25

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Yes I have hailed ships when they have not responded on Ch16. Their bridge lights up.
That is brilliant. Thanks, I'll use the function for that in the future!
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:50   #26

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Never used DSC Calling and probably never will. Fingers crossed I'll never need to use the DSC Distress but it is nice to know in a real SHTF moment I can hit the red button and an automatic distress call is sent out with my position.

But frankly until someone makes a VHF with a convenient keypad to enter the numbers I'm never going to do the scroll up, down, left, right click to enter a stream of numbers just to call someone. It's too bloody difficult to see the number on the small screen of my radio and it's probably quicker to call any sailing friends by mobile phone anyway. WhatsApp anyone?

Oh and don't ask me to recall my MMSI number
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:54   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I have often used DSC calling and especially position-request with a friend's boat - we are both set up for auto-response so no user interaction needed, and the reported position displays on the chartplotter. Much quicker and more convenient than calling on 16, switching to a working channel, asking "where are you" etc. In our area especially convenient when returning to our club harbour, as the final approach into our docks can be tricky when there's wind (which usually seems to pick up as we round the breakwater) and a friendly hand is appreciated.

I believe that routine use of DSC helps familiarize you with the radio's working which should be a good thing in the event that you need to use the Distress functions.

Also, I have used a handheld with the same MMSI as the ship to call between them; neither radio had problem calling its "own" MMSI.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:55   #28

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

Does it infuriate anybody else to here the coast guard calling and calling one of there cutters and not using DSC?
Avionics_Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:02   #29

Boat: 2003 Beneteau Oceanis 331

I use DSC for a radio check when no one is coming back on 9 (or others) and I don't want to piss off the Coasties by doing it on 16. Works great.
JoeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:16   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I think the great majority of cruisers, and even commercial mariners, use it as little as they can get away with, or not at all.

I think it's a great shame, as DSC is extremely useful.

Hailing on DSC saves clutter on 16, and is much more efficient. Much more likely to attract the attention of who you are hailing, no fumbling around for a working channel since you are automatically switched. It's great.

I use it often with friends or other yachts, and I use it exclusively when calling coast guard. I use DSC hailing with commercial ships located by AIS, although sometimes they don't answer and you have to go to 16.

I use it between mother ship and handheld for the sake of being more discreet.

Position polling can be fantastically useful. Sometimes I use position polling just to verify location of the mothership from the dinghy or vice versa, or with friends when sailing in company.

DSC is fantastic and I wish more people used it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc