Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2022, 12:47   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Does a 220 AC fridge draw less than 12v DC?

This is worth watching to decide which fridge to go for:

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 12:56   #17

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Also take into account cost

An off the shelf big store 240v bar fridge is 1/4 of the price of a 12v fridge of similar size.

And in all our years of cruising, getting a fridge guy down to the boat to do something to the 12v fridge seems fairly common place for others to do.

Never had to do it with our 240v stuff yet , they have been in 15 years now and if we did, it'd probably work out cheaper to just buy a new one.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 18:33   #18

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Also take into account cost

[...]
Good points about the cost. I assumed the insulation of (non-portable) 12V fridges would be better than a household one.

Also domestic fridges are usually front-opening which is good if you can and want to mount them high enough so you don't have to bend to access them, but opening the door/lid lets more warm air in than a top loader.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 20:02   #19

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Good points about the cost. I assumed the insulation of (non-portable) 12V fridges would be better than a household one.

Also domestic fridges are usually front-opening which is good if you can and want to mount them high enough so you don't have to bend to access them, but opening the door/lid lets more warm air in than a top loader.

It does let more air out but it takes no time to get back to temp when door is shut so says inbuilt thermometer on our big two door fridge freezer
Buy an extra battery with all those saved dollars, perceived problem sorted.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 22:36   #20

Boat: Oyster 66

Looking at spec sheets on ao.com for bigger fridges I note that power use hardly goes up with size, such that a 4x larger fridge uses 10% more than a small one. I don’t understand this.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 00:13   #21

Boat: Crowther 85 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
This is worth watching to decide which fridge to go for:

This is a good comparison. The guy waffles a bit, but his concluding remarks are very useful.
Basically, if you have an inverter already, go for the 230 or 240v AC.
The cost of purchase compared to 12v can be a factor of 10. Maintenance costs can be even worse.
Plus domestic units are usually designed for the consumer (eg ergonomics, shelf spaces etc).
Whereas 12v units often come with a dollop of arrogance... "whadya mean you want a light in there? - it's for a boat so just be happy with what you get!" or "shelves? - you want shelves? - just be grateful that it gets cold in there!"
Tim
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 04:47   #22

Boat: voyage Mayotte 50 ft cat

The you tube clip was extremely interesting and informative. It certainly provided all the answers to the initial conundrum. I totally agree, taking all aspects into consideration, 220 is the way to go. Thanks so much for the excellent replies.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:22   #23

Boat: Steel Lavranos 50

I have 12 vdc fridge and freezer on my 50 steel mono with water cooled condenser and lots of foam insulation and used to run from solar only.

Where are you in Richards Bay as I am also in Richards Bay and will be at ZYC next week
Distant_Shaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:10   #24

Boat: 42ft ketch rust bucket

Hello from richardsbay. I used to be an electrician but now retired. A bar fridge draws around 10w when starting settles down to 70w. A top freezer small kic draws 120w starting and settles to 100 in a few mins. add about 30w per size you go up. Compressor sizes go by fractional hp upwards .For the useable size vs power consumption a domestic unit cant be beat. Almost a century of refinement and cost cutting. What is your battery bank voltage ? A simple buck converter from the east is around 10usd and around 300w capable. They are also 98 percent efficient making dc a real contender if done right. Fyi you can buy a complete dc compressor setup from tecsa reco here in town from 2400 Zar upwards last i enquired for generic brand. Obviously danfoss more pricey and can fabricobble up your own box of chill. Personally I'd do the ac if you're doing most all things ac. On a 53 cat you got the real estate and solar space. Downside inverter on all day and night. But meh. These newer axpert clones are piss cheap and draw only about 20w idle. Just tape over that pesky blue lcd at night.
HansDans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:19   #25

Thumbs up Re: Does a 220 AC fridge draw less than 12v DC?

Thanks again for the most informative replies. The advice and experience that goes with the comments is most helpful & informative. I will go for the domestic AC units and will install one DC unit as backup in the event of power / invertor problems.

Greetings to my Richards bay colleagues that also replied. Welcome to the neighborhood. This is Mike French.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:04   #26

Boat: Steel Lavranos 50

Hello Mike French

This is Roger Shaw who you know

I did sail with you some time ago and my boat is on 'A' walkon
Distant_Shaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:11   #27

Hello Roger,

I gathered it was you when I saw your post. Ypsilanti is my old vessel that I sold. I need to update my profile. I recognized your vessel name. I find this forum absolutely amazing. The knowledge and willingness to share is testimony to the amazing folk in the sailing fraternity. keep well.

Rgds Mike
Old 03-06-2022, 10:11   #28

Hello Roger,

I gathered it was you when I saw your post. Ypsilanti is my old vessel that I sold. I need to update my profile. I recognized your vessel name. I find this forum absolutely amazing. The knowledge and willingness to share is testimony to the amazing folk in the sailing fraternity. keep well.

Rgds Mike
Old 03-06-2022, 17:14   #29

To get the by far best efficiency and variable speed, the compressor motor must be 3 phase permanent magnet motor type, most of the time DC, so 12V or 24V.

All AC induction motor type (often mono phase + split capacitor, 120Vac or 240Vac) have to be avoided.

Then the winning solution is the 12V/24V PM DC compressor motors! Often if supplied from solar panels...
John BO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 18:18   #30

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

What's that old saying, something about "Ever increasing money for diminishing results"?
Or, "Spending more and more for less and less".
A better comparison might be "Dollars per Watt Hour".
How much more will the equipment cost so that over a 24hr period one might save perhaps the amount of energy stored in a "D" cell battery, or maybe only an "AA" battery.