Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 16:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
DMK-11a Data Translator and WiFi host?

Has anyone used the DMK box? FAQ: DMK Yacht Instruments

The device sounds like a Rosetta Stone for marine nav tools. It takes in SeaTalk, NMEA0183, and NMEA2000 then acts as a mini-server and router, outputting the datw on a WIFI network. There is even a GPS option that for $449, younget all that and an internal GPS. Almost sounds too good!

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 17:01   #2

Boat: Novara 16.4m catamaran
Re: DMK-11a Data Translator and WiFi host?

See Freeboard - Freeboard [MeshCMS]
Same idea, but done via any web browser. Open source too
motu42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 04:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Motu

Thanks while I am somewhat technically competent, I was looking for something plug and play

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 15-02-2014, 16:38   #4

I just bought a dmk with gps and so far so good hooked to the standard horizon 2150 ais/VHF and inavx on the ipad. As long as it works with the nav program you use I think it's a fine choice. There are a bunch of devices in this space now but at the time I'm writing this the dmk is the only one I know of with built in GPS.
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 14:16   #5

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The device sounds like a Rosetta Stone for marine nav tools. It takes in SeaTalk, NMEA0183, and NMEA2000 then acts as a mini-server and router, outputting the datw on a WIFI network. There is even a GPS option that for $449, younget all that and an internal GPS. Almost sounds too good!

Any comments would be appreciated.
Now I don't own this device and have only looked at the web site and the manual so double check any points I raise but...

It doesn't say anywhere that it translates between n2k, nmea-0183 and sea talk. What it says it does it to encapsulate input packets of any type and send them over the network. Given that almost no 3rd party apps will understand udp-encapsulated seatalk or n2k (almost everything which takes network-provided data uses nmea-0183) the n2k and seatalk parts are not much use.

It doesn't mention that the GPS sends out anything other than nmea-0183.

It doesn't seem to mention that it takes data from the network and feeds it back to n2k/seatalk/nmea-0183. Which isn't much good if you want to interact with your autopilot from opencpn or a tablet/phone app.

And what's with having to explicitly configure the address for your "up to 3" clients for UDP unicast data? That's a...well, an "interesting" and "unique" choice of how to distribute wireless data.

With a budget of $450 I think there's a number of alternatives which you could add to your comparison list.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 12:05   #6

Boat: Buchan 37, Distance

The DMK 11A does translate Seatalk to NMEA 0183 but not NMEA 2000 to 0183 or vise-verse. There are more apps that use native NMEA 2000 feeds over WiFi like iRegatta and NMEAremote. They can take simultaneous streams from 0183 and 2000 and display data from each source side by side. Allowing multiple inputs allows an owner to update instruments without throwing out older working electronics.

Our newest item is an analog engine monitor that with output on NMEA 2000. For anyone with Raymarine instruments who would like to also add an engine display, this is a great system to get both on the iPad.
Distance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 12:08   #7

Boat: Grand Soleil 52 Victoria

Does anybody have fresh experience with the DMK? I am considering to install one to help in my gradual replacement of my B&G instruments down below.
The latest thread on the DMK is one year old. I have looked at PANBO but he does not have an update either.
As I see that I will gradually turn to NMEA 2000 instruments when my old B&G wear out. In my opinion the DMK would be a perfect fit here since it is the only box as far as I know that handles 2k and 2 speed NMEA0183 at the same time.
Am I right in that?
Or are there endless difficulties setting it up?
nielswn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 15:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Niels

I ended up NOT getting this. Seemed pricey for networking on a 33' Tartan. There are several AIS transponders out there that take NMEA 0183 in, combine with the devices NMEA 2000 location and AIS target data and output it via WiFi or NMEA 0183.

The other option for boat your size is send the NEMA 0183 and NMEA 2000 to a i5 laptop or small NUK and then send it back out as NMEA 0183. The odd bit of data is always the Raymarine info. Since my only Ray data is depth and knot log, I would replace the depth transducer with a NEMA 2000 depth/speed/temp unit and bring the data into the NMEA 2000 data stream.

Whew! Remember when the biggest data issue was when the piece of wool on the shroud got wet and wouldn't fly????