Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 08:26   #16

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: DIY Boat instruments

Yes the wireless to the tablet is the way to go. Gotta love no wires to the cockpit.
W/the technology changing so rapidly and tablets being so cheap, it's very difficult for me to purchase/imagine a wired computer. Once you have an AP running, no need to sit at the helm (most of the time) and you really do not need the major cluster of instruments at the helm.

Waiting for the Pi4 to come out this year w/the better graphics to be able to then run openGL for a digital radar.

Bill O.

Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworail View Post
Great write ups, particularly the autopilot project. This is really paving the way!

I have a commercial Com-Nav system on my boat as well and it's good to know there is a viable upgrade path that won't cost as much as the boat. Plus I have a background in Unix administration and infrastructure so I really don't have any excuses

We looked at Com-nav awhile back to initially replace the AP, but will say our new approach is more cutting edge.
We had zero experience w/Linux and Sean was very impressed that we could compile OCPN from source in our initial Rpi setup.

Bill O.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We looked at Com-nav awhile back to initially replace the AP, but will say our new approach is more cutting edge.
We had zero experience w/Linux and Sean was very impressed that we could compile OCPN from source in our initial Rpi setup.

Bill O.
Yes, compiling from source is just about the furthest end of the computing spectrum for most people... assuming the opposite end is pressing the power button. Kudos to you guys for getting it done.

Can you ballpark the cost of the Accu-Steer unit? That will really put it in perspective.

Thanks.
tworail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworail View Post
Yes, compiling from source is just about the furthest end of the computing spectrum for most people... assuming the opposite end is pressing the power button. Kudos to you guys for getting it done.

Can you ballpark the cost of the Accu-Steer unit? That will really put it in perspective.

Thanks.
The hydraulic pump (Accu-steer) we purchased was the largest pump they make and may not be a fair comparison for pricing. Our pump was ~$1k. They make smaller pumps and one should match up the ram/pump for a good fit. Many of the other AP systems like Garmin, Raymarine and Furuno, you still had to purchase a pump separately.

Alternatively you could do an electric below deck drive (Jefa or other) which could be more efficient. (although we are finding our AP to be very efficient energy wise)

Sean has his AP working with wheel and tiller systems as well.

Bill O.
Old 12-03-2019, 00:31   #20

Lightbulb Re: DIY Boat instruments

Consider using 2 color e-ink touch displays as sunlight readable screens. They use a fraction of the power of OLED screens and should be setup with instrument displays (probably not nav unless you are ok with 3 second refresh rates). Most e-ink screens are designed for ARM platforms, so all the code to run them is available. Waterproof them as you wish.

Or you can always hack open an old kindle or cell phone but connections become tricky with those.
Schisty Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 18:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schisty Viking View Post
Consider using 2 color e-ink touch displays as sunlight readable screens. They use a fraction of the power of OLED screens and should be setup with instrument displays (probably not nav unless you are ok with 3 second refresh rates). Most e-ink screens are designed for ARM platforms, so all the code to run them is available. Waterproof them as you wish.

Or you can always hack open an old kindle or cell phone but connections become tricky with those.

Thanks for that; I spent some time looking at some E-Ink displays. The boggest drawback seems to be refresh rate: A Pi-ready 7.5" monochrome display has a full refresh time of 6 seconds; and I believe I saw somewhere that the two colour E-Ink displays had a refresh time of ~30 sec! Not quite what i'd like in a chart-plotter, except maybe on an aircraft carrier...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 20:07   #22

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Cool link! The big (9.7") e-ink B/W is <1 sec and 0.3 for partial. I just wish they were back-lit.
Old 14-03-2019, 10:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Cool link! The big (9.7") e-ink B/W is <1 sec and 0.3 for partial. I just wish they were back-lit.

Points to you! I missed that there are a few displays there with response times under 2 sec.

And this 6" one is 800x600, still pretty fast, and has 16 gray levels. Coooool....
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:19   #24

... and should you ever find a back lit version... please post. That makes is really interesting for those night time runs.
Old 30-04-2019, 14:24   #25

Great idea! keep your excellent job.
Djerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 15:58   #26

Boat: Boatless at the moment

@mxtommy (op),
Old 01-05-2019, 00:55   #27

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Great post.

I'm starting to a similar way.

I use a raspberry pi 3b+ with open plotter and Isolated CAN-USB Stick. This is connected to a SeatalkNG network. I was planning on using the Pi for OpenCPN but I've found that it's too slow for anything other other casual viewing. Scrolling with tracks and AIS targets etc.. draws it down to single digit FPS.

Instead I use a Samsung Galaxy tab Pro S (win 10) to run OpenCPN and as a head for the Pi.

I have an iPad Pro that I use with either Navionics, or running MXtommy gauges.

All are connected to my boat network, along with the Simrad 3G radar. It can be controlled via OpenCPN. Wind and Depth are TackTick Micronet devices, so I had to buy a Micotalk puck that picks up their wireless signal and translates it to N2K.

Autopilot is a Raymarine Evolution.

It is a shame that the pilot cannot be controlled either by OpenCPN or a SignalK app. Scott Bender did write a signalk plugin that does allow full control of the Raymarine but it is only implemented in his WilhelmSK iOS app. Perhaps in the future someone will make a webUI for it.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 08:50   #28

I found this thread while searching for digital dash solutions for a pontoon boat and saw the comment below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
... and should you ever find a back lit version... please post. That makes is really interesting for those night time runs.
These interest me for this project:

https://www.faytech.com/catalogue/ca...ouch-monitors/
Noobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 18:04   #29

Yes, nice bright monitors, but I'm interested in the e-ink screens which seems like a great use on boat. this one is IP68 rated https://www.sailracer.net/inkdisplay/
Old 18-11-2019, 03:37   #30

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

The problem with many of the (Chinese branded) high brightness monitors is 1) their resolution isn't great. 2) The brightness cannot go low enough.

Some of the ones I looked at had a minimum brightness of 300-400nits, that's almost like an iPad at close to full brightness so no good as the daylight starts to fade. Even an iPad itself cannot go dim enough really for night time sailing.

e-ink displays are good for anything static. A wind angle/speed instrument as shown in that link is probably not a good use of one due to the poor refresh rates. That whole product is a bit poor for cruisers. It is battery powered which is of no benefit at all, or requires micro usb connection (not waterproof). On top that the pricing is obscene. It's worth about €99 at most.

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, DIY, men, rum