Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 14:51   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Display monitor for boat computer - 12 volt DC or 100/240 volt AC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post

... (one 24” 12 volt TV drew 25 amps)

That had to have been a misprint. A 12 volt tv drawing 25 amps would have had to dissipate 300 watts of heat. It would melt.

More likely they dropped the decimal point. 2.5 amps would be about right.
Old 28-09-2019, 22:10   #17

Boat: Outremer 55L

I just got a 27” Samsung monitor on sale pretty cheap as I guess they’re obsoleting HD (1920x1080) for UHD (3840x2160) aka 4K monitors and TVs.

The brick shows 14V 1.79A, so that won’t be much higher directly off the boat’s 12v system. I’m assuming since there’s no motors in a monitor the lower voltage won’t be a factor, other than reduced brightness?
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 05:13   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
The brick shows 14V 1.79A, so that won’t be much higher directly off the boat’s 12v system. I’m assuming since there’s no motors in a monitor the lower voltage won’t be a factor, other than reduced brightness?

I wouldn't make that assumption. It depends on what is used internally. Many sets have voltage regulated power that runs 12VDC (which may be 12.6VDC), 5VDC, and sometimes 3VDC. There are losses in conversion and regulation so your TV could up really unhappy, especially as your battery bank voltage drops as state of charge declines. Most well built equipment considers the possibility of mains brown-out so it should shut itself down to protect itself (but may not). On the other hand if everything inside runs on lower regulated voltages and only the backlights run off unregulated input voltage you would be correct. Given you have the TV already you might shop around for a DC to DC converter that takes whatever voltage comes in (within the bounds of the specs) and makes 14VDC from it.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:35   #19

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

does not have to be an issue , I run a 24 inch LCD for open cpn on a small inverter , the power needed for such a monitor is minimal and the drain on the battery is minimal. as you say it will not be on all the time , find the power of the LCD match with small invertor , one would assume if you need a large screen you have a decent sized boat and therefore a decent battery bank , the power gurus that need to satate their minds with every amp used per millesecond will be having a mare right now , I find a draw of around 1 to 2 amps with my invertor on , aslo one would assume that you have some form of renewable energy on your boat , wind , sun , so really no issues on power drain .
My invertor is wired into the main switch panel so a simple switch and it turns on . I also run a main desktop computer i5 proccesoor for other work that I do on the boat , the full amps draw is around 3 to 5 amps
hope this helps
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, monitor