Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 21:50   #1

Boat: Novurania MX530DL
Digital Yacht AIT2000

Hello,

I am getting ready wire up my RIB after spending a year slowly picking parts for it (an older Novurania MX530DL) and have a few questions. I was going to purchase an actisense NDC-4 multiplexer when someone suggested that I did not need one if I purchased the Digital Yach AIT2000 due to its ability to multiplex. I tried to map this out on paper but I am a tad confused..laugh.

Equipment:

Raymarine C80 Chart Plotter (one NMEA input)
Raymarine DSM300 (not an issue as it is not NMEA)
Raymarine Pathfinder 4D (4KW Radar) (only an issue because I want to do MARPA)
Maretron SSC200 Fluxgate Compass/Gyro (this is the one I am trying to figure out)
Uniden UM415 DSC Radio

If I purchase a Digital Yach AIT2000 will it allow me to interface everything together properly or do I need to buy a multiplexer? (which I had originally planned to do first before purchasing an AIS transceiver)

So if I understand correctly
NMEA 38.4K output
Orange+Brown wires would feed the the Raymarine NMEA Input at 38.4K

NMEA 4.8 Ouput
Pink and Violet to Uniden DSC Radio

NMEA 4.8 Input
Yellow and Green to DSC Radio

NMEA 38.4 Input from Maretron SSC200 Fast Heading Sensor/Fluxgate Compass - Turquoise and Grey wires to Maretron NMEA output .

Additional Questions:

Where do you hookup the Maretron SSC200 (Fluxgate compass) NMEA input to for receiving variation info?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Matt
canadian_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 02:02   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Digital Yacht AIT2000

Why not buy the Raymarine smarty gyro based heading sensor and keep it all on Seatalk. Use the 0183 port on the MFD to talk to the radio

Dave
Old 25-02-2014, 07:20   #3

I think you need a bigger boat...
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
I think you need a bigger boat...

Why not buy a bigger tender and get RID of the boat !!!

Stay under gyro stabilizer size though.... Those get spendy....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:49   #5

Laugh...a bigger boat would be nice and would make all of these required distances between equipment and wiring a heck of a lot easier. Unfortunately I have to trailer to water where I live so that somewhat limits the size and this one actually fits in the heated garage (barely) to keep the snow off of it. My thought process at the time was to try and find a boat that can play in the rough but still fit on a trailer hence the RIB.

Anyway I think I may have figured out how to do this. I am going to connect the Maretron SCC200 via a Seatalk2 to NMEA2000 cable.
Old 05-03-2014, 14:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

Hi Matt,

Not sure if you have made your decision on this yet but just to confirm our AIT2000 can provide GPS position data to your DSC VHF radio and can also multiplex the DSC messages from the Radio so that your C80 receives GPS, AIS and DSC data on its one input.

I have never been asked about using the other NMEA input to multiplex 38400 data and I must admit that I would have to quickly check one of our AIT2000s before giving you a definite answer on this.

Does the Maretron output NMEA0183 heading data at 38400 baud ?

It sounds like you have decided to put the heading data in to the system via NMEA2000, which probably makes sense but if you want me to test putting heading data in at 38400 baud just let me know.

Regards

PAUL
Paul_DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 21:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_DY View Post
Hi Matt,

Not sure if you have made your decision on this yet but just to confirm our AIT2000 can provide GPS position data to your DSC VHF radio and can also multiplex the DSC messages from the Radio so that your C80 receives GPS, AIS and DSC data on its one input.

I have never been asked about using the other NMEA input to multiplex 38400 data and I must admit that I would have to quickly check one of our AIT2000s before giving you a definite answer on this.

Does the Maretron output NMEA0183 heading data at 38400 baud ?

It sounds like you have decided to put the heading data in to the system via NMEA2000, which probably makes sense but if you want me to test putting heading data in at 38400 baud just let me know.

Regards

PAUL
Hi Paul,
I just wanted to say thank you for offering to try to put fast heading data through the Digital Yacht AIT2000. I appreciate it. The Maretron can send data via at 38,400 baud.

http://www.maretron.com/support/manu...200UM_1.8.html

"The SSC200 compass supports NMEA0183 communication at both 4800 baud and 38400 baud." (Section 2.4.2.2)

I am just trying to not have to buy a separate multiplexer to make everything go. If I have to..I have to.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 14-03-2014, 01:49   #8
Marine Service Provider

Ok Matt, I am out of the office today but I will try this next week and report back.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:19   #9
Marine Service Provider

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay but when I tested the heading data coming in on the 38400 baud port it did not work.

I since checked this with our engineers and it is because Port 1 is the main output port for the AIS data (which takes priority over everything else) and it was decided to disable passing through any data on the Input of this port to avoid any chances of high amounts of received data affecting the timing of the AIS data.

So I think the only option is for you connect the Maretron compass to the NMEA2000 network.

Sorry I could not help on this occassion.

Tags
yacht