Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2019, 07:34   #16

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Re: Depth Sounder Questions/Troubleshooting

JimsCAL:
Thank you for the information. That is as I suspected.

The transducer I am trying to identify is most likely original to the boat circa 1980. It is bronze and has a long 1" (or so) threaded post that comes into the boat with the "shoe" outside. It has a standard RCA type connector on the end of its wire.

I have nothing to go on but that stated above. I would like to find out the frequency and whether or not it is operating. Any help appreciated.

Right now it sounds as though my only chance would be to borrow multiple head units of different frequency and start trying it.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:09   #17

Update:

I left the classic RCA transducer plugged into the failing ST60 for a period of time and it started to show readings. They were not accurate. But readings just the same.

I am guessing this would mean that the transducer is not 200khz, but something near by perhaps?? Because in order to get a response there had to have been some resonance from the transducers correct? So perhaps its a 210khz?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:40   #18

Boat: Valiant 42

Ben,

You cannot measure the frequency with a Fluke multimeter. The frequency is generated by the sounder unit not by the transducer. Some transducers are multi-frequency rated.

Did you find any model number on the bronze unit with RCA plug? Maybe that will help find what it is.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:53   #19

That was my assumption as well as
Confirmed by JimsCAL and yourself.

I have tried in vane to identify this transducer. I haul out in a month and perhaps that will assist me.
I can find no identifying numbers visible.

What I pondering at this point is wether or not it would have to be close to the Raymarine 200khz to even put out bad readings. My thoughts being that if it’s getting some kind of response with the 200khz impulse it would need to send/receive it at the transducer in some way. I have read that 210khz and 160khz transducers exist and this would be a smaller range than “no idea”.

My goal is to find a head unit I can purchase second hand that will interface with the RCA transducer.

Tags
depth, depth sounder