Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 11:41   #1

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Dead CPT Autopilot- use drive with Raymarine x10?

My back-up CPT autopilot seems to have a bad circuit in the compass and now continuously tries to turn to port. It looks like the circuits can be replaced if you have the skill (which I don't), but I will most likely just trash the unit unless I can find an electronics person in Guatemala that works for cheap.

Question I have is about the drive unit. If I was at sea and my linear drive failed, could this wheel drive be feed the output from the Raymarine X10 and function? The linear drive is just getting 12v reversed one way or the other to push the arm out, and it seems the same power would also rotate the wheel of the CPT. Any flaws with this logic?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 22-10-2013, 12:03   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Dead CPT Autopilot- use drive with Raymarine x10?

Contact CPT Autopilot Inc.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 19:39   #3

Boat: Olson 34
Re: Dead CPT Autopilot- use drive with Raymarine x10?

yes it will most likely work. You might have to adjust the response setting on the X10 to account for what might be a difference in gain between the x10 and the cpt, this is very dependent on motor gearing as well as the electronics design, but it is worth a try. I believe the X10 has circuits that detect motor load, so if the motor for the CPT was a little to big the X10 will just indicated a MOTOR STALL on occasion. I routinely have gone in the other direction and drive various tiller motor and hydraulic AP steering systems with my own electronics with great success. My guess is the motor on the CPT, which is a window winder motor from the auto industry, is similar in electrical load to the X10's motor. You may have to reverse the motor wiring to get the feedback going in the correct direction.

Brian
brianb00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine