Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2023, 17:26   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Current state of the art Cell Modem

I currently cruise East coast USA, and Bahamas, Caribbean.

Getting a local SIM card isn't a problem, but I have a big problem with sending My Expensive Smartphone up the mast in a baggie to get a signal.

A Cell phone hotspot with external antenna, or POE so it can be permanently mounted on a high spot, and run an ethernet to the boats WIFI router would be ideal.

I currently have an older Verizon MIFI I used in USA, but internal antenna only, same connectivity problem as phone.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 20:36   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: Current state of the art Cell Modem

Aren’t you just saying you would like to buy a cell phone booster? Maybe I’m missing something here….

There are so many cell boosters out there too. I like weboost.

https://www.weboost.com/boosters/overland
Sam Woodbridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 00:44   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I currently cruise East coast USA, and Bahamas, Caribbean.

Getting a local SIM card isn't a problem, but I have a big problem with sending My Expensive Smartphone up the mast in a baggie to get a signal.

A Cell phone hotspot with external antenna, or POE so it can be permanently mounted on a high spot, and run an ethernet to the boats WIFI router would be ideal.

I currently have an older Verizon MIFI I used in USA, but internal antenna only, same connectivity problem as phone.
I am pretty sure that your Verizon jetpack has external antenna connectors. Mine has

Hoisting the actual modem is better than using an amplifier with antenna higher up. Even without an external antenna. I actually found very little difference using an external antenna.

So for power, simplest is to attach a big USB battery and hoist that up as well. It can last days. We had two and charged one inside and swapped every other day.

If you have a router that supports smartphone and mifi/jetpack tethering, you can use that with a long USB cable. This works great, I use the GL.iNet Slate router for that. This router also supports USB modems, which makes it even simpler when you are allowed to buy the modem (politicians interfere nowadays).

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 06:42   #4

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I am pretty sure that your Verizon jetpack has external antenna connectors. Mine has

Hoisting the actual modem is better than using an amplifier with antenna higher up. Even without an external antenna. I actually found very little difference using an external antenna.

So for power, simplest is to attach a big USB battery and hoist that up as well. It can last days. We had two and charged one inside and swapped every other day.

If you have a router that supports smartphone and mifi/jetpack tethering, you can use that with a long USB cable. This works great, I use the GL.iNet Slate router for that. This router also supports USB modems, which makes it even simpler when you are allowed to buy the modem (politicians interfere nowadays).
I also use a GL.iNet router, small, inexpensive, low power draw, works great.

But I am not clear what you mean by "USB modem" - what are they? Why are they hard to buy (in some countries?)? I googled USB modem and basically found 2 things - a) USB Cell stick, 3g/4g/lte, basically a hotspot like a MiFi or a JetPack in a USB stick, and b) a USB to Ethernet adapter (certainly not what you mean).

So if that's what it is (a USB Cellular hotspot) where is it that you cannot buy these (and if you don't mind, what are the politicians stated rationale for limiting purchase of these devices, wherever that is that they are limited - clearly in the US they are easily available).

Thanks!
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 07:27   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I also use a GL.iNet router, small, inexpensive, low power draw, works great.

But I am not clear what you mean by "USB modem" - what are they? Why are they hard to buy (in some countries?)? I googled USB modem and basically found 2 things - a) USB Cell stick, 3g/4g/lte, basically a hotspot like a MiFi or a JetPack in a USB stick, and b) a USB to Ethernet adapter (certainly not what you mean).

So if that's what it is (a USB Cellular hotspot) where is it that you cannot buy these (and if you don't mind, what are the politicians stated rationale for limiting purchase of these devices, wherever that is that they are limited - clearly in the US they are easily available).

Thanks!
A USB cellular modem is only part of a mifi/jetpack, because it is only a modem without any networking logic. I’m not sure if you remember the age of modems connected to copper telephone lines these are similar but link to cellular networks like 4G.

The reason it is targeted by politicians is because they are engaged in their sick world domination games and have sanctions going against the producers of these products, like Huawei.

Old 14-01-2023, 08:12   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

My personal pick from what's currently available would be the Pepwave Max BR1 Pro 5G. It'll cover pulling in cell signal, broadcasting onboard wifi, etc. And it's got a WAN port so you can connect other sources of internet if desired. There are also external antenna hookups, plus a modern 5G cell modem with good band support.

I'm currently running a slightly older Pepwave Max Transit CAT18 on my boat and have been very happy with it.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 08:19   #7

Boat: B423

We use a Cudy LT18. It works well. They have a newer version with 5G too.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 18:49   #8

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
My personal pick from what's currently available would be the Pepwave Max BR1 Pro 5G. It'll cover pulling in cell signal, broadcasting onboard wifi, etc. And it's got a WAN port so you can connect other sources of internet if desired. There are also external antenna hookups, plus a modern 5G cell modem with good band support.

I'm currently running a slightly older Pepwave Max Transit CAT18 on my boat and have been very happy with it.

this was a quote to another thread ()deleted?)

but is relevant here..

the MAX BR1 is a top of the line duo sim 5G modem with wifi6..but is it critically limited compared to peplink's more expensive MAX BR2 Pro, imo.

the lack of dual wan and usb inputs are simply deal breakers for many

however, if you never wish to run a dual satellite internet(for example).. you'd be very pleased with the BR1.

check out the RUTX50 and MOFI5500 modems for pretty darn good alternatives..
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 13:25   #9

the pepwaves are great. stick them in a small dome and mount up the mast. with external antennas inside the dome. they take a sim card for cell. can take wifi in (IE marina) and have a wan port for starlink.

then below you can prioritize or manually choose cell, wifi, or starlink from the same on board wifi connection. while having the cell and wifi antennas up the mast for coverage
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 00:40   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the pepwaves are great. stick them in a small dome and mount up the mast. with external antennas inside the dome. they take a sim card for cell. can take wifi in (IE marina) and have a wan port for starlink.

then below you can prioritize or manually choose cell, wifi, or starlink from the same on board wifi connection. while having the cell and wifi antennas up the mast for coverage
Of course you can do that with many routers

Old 26-01-2023, 06:08   #11

Boat: Sabre 30 MKIII 1986

If anyone is thinking about purchasing the newer Cudy 5G model be careful what you receive.

I have one here that I ordered in Dec 2022 and it has a older and less capable 5G modem inside.

To be clear, they advertise this as having an X62 modem but it shipped with an X55 modem.

I checked my P5 and it has an X55 modem.
Quectel RM505Q-AE Q1-A6980
Quectel RM505Q-AEAA-M20-SGASA

I'm sending my unit back and looking for something else, maybe the Peplink, but they are expensive.
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:34   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I know the 4G version of this is very good, maybe this5G model delivers as well

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Night.../dp/B0BGV79FHT

Old 26-01-2023, 08:09   #13

Yes I have the 4G version. It's a nice unit and can be placed in an external antenna enclosure for better reception using the 2 x MIMO.

Also the unit can be powered using POE. They do not recommend leaving it plugged into power fullytime with the battery inside, other than long enough to charge the battery.

Thanks

Edited to be clearer about leaving battery inside while connected to power.
Old 26-01-2023, 16:09   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
Yes I have the 4G version. It's a nice unit and can be placed in an external antenna enclosure for better reception using the 2 x MIMO.

Also the unit can be powered using POE. They do not recommend leaving it plugged into power fullytime with the battery inside, other than long enough to charge the battery.

Thanks

Edited to be clearer about leaving battery inside while connected to power.
Can you remove the battery and run it on poe ?

Old 26-01-2023, 16:50   #15

Yes absolutely, remove the battery and run POE. You might need a POE injector and a power splitter.

Tags
current, modem