Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 09:12   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
Current and discontinued below deck autopilots

Hi all,

I am in the process of converting a wheel steered (chain and cable) beneteau first 305 to tiller steering. I have been using raymarine st4000 for many years and have worked out most of the bugs and find the reliability satisfactory (I have three backups of the same system).

For the tiller steering, I need to get the autopilot below decks as I want to be able to clear the cockpit area when I engage autopilot and allow for two adults to lounge around. I see that there are some very simple tillerpilots out there but I cannot dedicate a side of the cockpit to mount the tiller pilot. I know this requirement raises the cost tremendously and narrows down my options.

Out of the currently available models, I have identified two options: Raymarine EVO-200 with the linear drive and B&G triton 2 with the hydraulic ram. I would love to hear from you about your experience with these (or similar) units, any other new or discontinued models to consider, and using a below deck autopilot with a tiller.

Thank you!
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 11:39   #2

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: Current and discontinued below deck autopilots

I’m very happy with myEVO200 with linear drive on my Catalina 36
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 11:47   #3

The old Alpha 3000 are bulletproof if you can find one. Aircraft linear drive. But they dont interface with all the GPS, plotters etc if you want that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:36   #4

Boat: Kaufman 47

I'm doing a Pelagic autopilot and a below deck hydraulic ram/motor from Lecomble and Schmitt.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:47   #5

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I'm doing a Pelagic autopilot and a below deck hydraulic ram/motor from Lecomble and Schmitt.
+1 great setup
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 08:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The old Alpha 3000 are bulletproof if you can find one. Aircraft linear drive. But they dont interface with all the GPS, plotters etc if you want that.

The Alpha 3000 looks like a very solid autopilot. The prices on their website are pretty serious! I wish I could find it on ebay. I will keep looking. No need for fancy interfaces.

How is it using the “dial to set heading”? I am used to the “push to lock heading” of the raymarine and find it very intuitive.
Old 15-01-2019, 08:49   #7

Quote:

Is that a sailboat setup or a motorboat? Can’t seem to find any information on it.
Old 15-01-2019, 08:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
The Alpha 3000 looks like a very solid autopilot. The prices on their website are pretty serious! I wish I could find it on ebay. I will keep looking. No need for fancy interfaces.

How is it using the “dial to set heading”? I am used to the “push to lock heading” of the raymarine and find it very intuitive.
I liked mine so well it traveled onto 3 boats I had. It was a used unit to start with ....on the first boat! They still sell them huh?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:03   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

For your boat, no matter what computer you choose, I'd go with the Raymarine linear drive due to its low power use, quiet operation and reliability. All brands of autopilot computers can run the Type 1 drive.

I currently have a B&G autopilot with a Lecomble and Schmitt hydraulic drive, and wish I could go back to my Raymarine Linear.

SailRedemption- Make sure you get the LS eco solenoid... it saves a ton of power.

Matt
Old 15-01-2019, 10:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
For your boat, no matter what computer you choose, I'd go with the Raymarine linear drive due to its low power use, quiet operation and reliability. All brands of autopilot computers can run the Type 1 drive.

I currently have a B&G autopilot with a Lecomble and Schmitt hydraulic drive, and wish I could go back to my Raymarine Linear.

SailRedemption- Make sure you get the LS eco solenoid... it saves a ton of power.

Matt

I didn’t realize that motors can be driven by computers of other vendors. Is that the case for seatalk and NMEA or can it also be done via simple power reversing interface?

This gives me the idea to get a new linear drive but control it via the Autohelm 4000 head that I already have and trust.
Old 15-01-2019, 18:48   #11

Quote:
Is that a sailboat setup or a motorboat? Can’t seem to find any information on it.
Its for a sailboat, specifically, it's going on our Kaufman 47 sailboat.

pelagicautopilot.com
Old 15-01-2019, 18:50   #12

Quote:

Matt
Thanks, yea we did. It wasn't that much for for it and it seems a no brainer to add it. Glad to know it does its job well. Is the L&S very loud? Obviously that is subject to change depending on mounting location and whatnot.
Old 16-01-2019, 06:09   #13

Quote:
Thanks, yea we did. It wasn't that much for for it and it seems a no brainer to add it. Glad to know it does its job well. Is the L&S very loud? Obviously that is subject to change depending on mounting location and whatnot.
We have ours mounted on the inside (hull bulkhead) of the transom and can hear it through one bulkhead (lazarette to aft berth) with 2" of spray foam insulation... this is when sailing and over the typical water and wind noise. My wife doesn't typically notice any mechanical noises and even she ask what was making that sound. But, it's not overpowering or distracting once you place where the heck that sound is coming from. You just hear the hydraulic fluid moving through the ram and some pump hum.

The Raymarine linear drive is almost silent in comparison.

Matt
Old 16-01-2019, 06:17   #14

Quote:
We have ours mounted on the inside (hull bulkhead) of the transom and can hear it through one bulkhead (lazarette to aft berth) with 2" of spray foam insulation... this is when sailing and over the typical water and wind noise. My wife doesn't typically notice any mechanical noises and even she ask what was making that sound. But, it's not overpowering or distracting once you place where the heck that sound is coming from. You just hear the hydraulic fluid moving through the ram and some pump hum.

The Raymarine linear drive is almost silent in comparison.

Matt

Interesting to know that raymarine linear is silent. Are you referryto the older 5000/6000 units or the current EVO200 type 1?
Old 16-01-2019, 06:17   #15

Quote:
I didn’t realize that motors can be driven by computers of other vendors. Is that the case for seatalk and NMEA or can it also be done via simple power reversing interface?

This gives me the idea to get a new linear drive but control it via the Autohelm 4000 head that I already have and trust.
As much as I love using what you already have, the difference in new autopilots with gyro compasses vs your old Autohelm is night and day.... especially with the fin/spade rudder of your First 305. You'll thank yourself for this expenditure.

NMEA/Seatalk are just the language and wiring where the autopilot speaks to other devices on the bus. The linear drive itself is only looking for a switched pos/neg for the in/out stroke. It also needs a signal to engage or disengage the clutch or solenoid in the drive itself. Any of the autopilot brands designed for hydraulic or linear drives can provide this.

Matt

Tags
autopilot, current, deck