Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2006, 10:08   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Cruise Email

Anyone familiar with these people and their service?
http://www.cruiseemail.com/
bottleinamessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 18:04   #2

Exclamation re: Cruiseemail

HUH???? 300+ frequencies??? one questions this information......... tried several connection attempts from several places, and only a very few of those listed frequencies actually worked at all and poor to very poor signals as well.......one can find actual information by searching FCC website for each listed callsign of listed stations, .....after looking at this site carefully, I found discrepancies.... IMHO, one must be very careful and do a lot of research before relying upon operations that may or maynot be there for you 24/7. There are many companies out there providing services like this and have reliable services..... a quick search on the net will provide loads of reading materials on this topic.
Good luck to us all.
oceanmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 22:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495
Re: CruiseEmail

I cannot find any other SSB service that offers email without having to buy a modem - as Cruiseemail does. Is it unique? Does it work?

"CruiseEmail provides a High Frequency Single Sideband service via a Public Coast Stations. The cost for Pactor, modem service is $250.00 which includes continually yearly upgrades and service support, unlimited time for sending emails for one year 12 month service.
The CruiseEmail new non-modem service is $300.00 per year for unlimited transmission service. For users using Pactor or any other modems, service is $250.00 unlimited data service."
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 00:47   #4

Boat: Various

Their website is a disaster. FAQ page filled with "Answer Goes Here.". Sketchy details throughout. SSB Installation gets you comment, "I am thinking this should be a PDF." If they can't even get their website half way in order are you really going to trust that they have the service in order? I'm sure not. Who knows where their signals reach but are you going to wait to find out suddenly when you need email, you can't reach them? I really don't see them as an alternative at this point.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:50   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

So this is a competitor to Sailmail? It will be pretty hard to dislodge Sailmail, as they are pretty entrenched. I don't understand how these guys are offering VOIP over an SSB connection. Doesn't make sense.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:19   #6

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I don't understand how these guys are offering VOIP over an SSB connection. Doesn't make sense.
As I read it what they are offering (besides email) is a VOIP-based phone patch service. In other words, you have a normal SSB voice "connection" to their coastal station connected to a VOIP connection. This might enable them to offer cheap/free phone voice calls to customers that can reach one of their coastal stations. As such the use of VOIP based phone patches are a good idea, but their website does not exactly build confidence in their ability to deliver.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

OK, that makes a little more sense. SSB analog over the air and then we pump it into Skype for a free call. I'd say the business has an uphill climb in front of it.
Old 04-05-2014, 16:39   #8
Marine Service Provider

Hey, if it saves me $2000 worth of modem, I'd try it. I don't need twice daily email....
Old 04-05-2014, 16:47   #9

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Hey, if it saves me $2000 worth of modem, I'd try it. I don't need twice daily email....
If it did, but looking at their web site and their own description of how it works, it seems to me they don't have it very well worked out yet. The concept is potentially workable but I think they'd have to make considerable investment to get it there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 16:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Cruise Email

Make friends with a HAM with a nice beam antenna in his back yard and then you can call him on HF and he can do a phone patch for you...we did this all the time with my father-in-law and it worked great. But from looking at this site, I think my father-in-law had it better figured out!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 18:04   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Make friends with a HAM "
That's of no use for someone with a marine SSB radio and license. You'd need a ham radio and general class ham license to chat with the ham. And if you had that...isn't sailmail free for ham operators? Aside from the cost of the Pactor modem? (And hams have other choices.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 18:10   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Make friends with a HAM "
That's of no use for someone with a marine SSB radio and license. You'd need a ham radio and general class ham license to chat with the ham. And if you had that...isn't sailmail free for ham operators? Aside from the cost of the Pactor modem? (And hams have other choices.)
But who, concerned about cost savings, wouldn't get their Ham license and gain access to FREE email via Winlink.org and then make that Ham Friend...

The Icom M-802 is a great SSB/HF Rig for all bands and is the most popular selling radio for boats today and it's VHF push to talk easy to use. Why have the radio and not be able to use 1/2 the frequencies for lack of a license that is easy to get?

Sailmail costs $250/yr and doesn't require a Ham ticket.
Winlink.org operates on the Ham bands and gives you access to email for FREE...another reason to get your General HAM License and now that CW (morse code) isn't required...heck a monkey could pass the Technician and General tests these days.

73's
Rich
W6GKY
Old 04-05-2014, 18:42   #13
Marine Service Provider

Winlink - 'free' after the $2000 pactor modem, right?

Issue is we're getting low on discretionary funds after picking up the Icom 802/tuner - after the RO watermaker.....

Just looking to avoid a drastically over priced modem.
Old 04-05-2014, 18:49   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Sailmail - 'free' after the $2000 pactor modem, right?

Issue is we're getting low on discretionary funds after picking up the Icom 802/tuner - after the RO watermaker.....

Just looking to avoid a drastically over priced modem.
You have to make your choices. I would prefer a modem over a water maker.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 18:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

$2000....na...
A 1071 - PTC-IIIusb Modem with PACTOR III
is $1148

Farallon Electronics 415-331-1924 - ...

We are talking about text email with no attachments....paying more for the "faster modem" would be crazy....

Find a used one. We sold our PTD IIIUSB for $500 when we came back from cruising.
Why sell it when we are going back to Mexico? Because for $46/mo I can buy a local Mexico wifi card and get coverage about anywhere. I would only buy a Modem for HF email if I had plans to cross oceans or was going to an area with know poor Wifi or local internet. I ran my business form Mexico with good cell phone and interenet coverage and rarely used my modem for the last 2yrs of our 4yrs stay. The value of the modem I see depends on where you plan to cruise, but it's not by any means a necisity...heck....not like a water maker...ha ha ah

Tags
cruise, email