Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2022, 12:00   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Connecting Sensors to Axiom MFD

I was happy with stand alone charts, instruments, etc. until my radar gave out. The new Quantum radar needs a MFD. so I bought an Axiom. (My first MFD)The radar connects via wifi but I think, as long as I have the capability, I should learn how to run all my data through my Axiom. I don't know how. The first one I want to connect is the AIS (GME).
Currently, I connect it to my laptop via USB to read AIS, but I believe I need NMEA to connect it to the MFD. The AIS has a outlet for NMEA 2000 so, I guess I can buy a cable to connect to the same 5 pin outlet on the MFD and AIS. But the MFD only has one NMEA 2000 outlet, so, I assume to get several sensors I'd have to get a hub of some sort.
There are also 4 wires for NMEA 0183 on the AIS. Do I convert that to wifi using something like a YAKKER? Do I need a multiplexer to get more than one input to harmoniously display?
I think this will be quite a time consuming learning experience. I'm in Africa so I can't just take it to the local Raymarine dealer.
Thanks!
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 15:19   #2

Boat: Ericson 27
Re: Connecting Sensors to Axiom MFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
I was happy with stand alone charts, instruments, etc. until my radar gave out. The new Quantum radar needs a MFD. so I bought an Axiom. (My first MFD)The radar connects via wifi but I think, as long as I have the capability, I should learn how to run all my data through my Axiom. I don't know how. The first one I want to connect is the AIS (GME).
Currently, I connect it to my laptop via USB to read AIS, but I believe I need NMEA to connect it to the MFD. The AIS has a outlet for NMEA 2000 so, I guess I can buy a cable to connect to the same 5 pin outlet on the MFD and AIS. But the MFD only has one NMEA 2000 outlet, so, I assume to get several sensors I'd have to get a hub of some sort.
NMEA 2000 is probably your best bet, as it gives you pretty good expandability as you update and grow your system. N2K is a bus topology rather than hub and spoke. In practical terms, this means that you have a backbone (basically longer/heavier cables) that connect to either side of a Tee, then off that tee comes what’s called a “drop cable” to your devices. At either end you have a terminator which is there to prevent echos on the wire.

On my boat, up in the head I have my depth sounder, wind sensor, speed log, and AIS, all connected to a 4 drop Tee, then the backbone cable heads to the cockpit to connect to my VHF, instrument displays, and autopilot. I’ve since expanded to also connect to my battery system and alternator regulator, but that’s because I’m crazy like that.

For you, what you should probably look at acquiring is an “NMEA Starter Kit” this will have a couple of tees, a backbone cable, a couple of drop cables, and a power injector and is a good way to get started.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 22:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
NMEA 2000 is probably your best bet, as it gives you pretty good expandability as you update and grow your system. N2K is a bus topology rather than hub and spoke. In practical terms, this means that you have a backbone (basically longer/heavier cables) that connect to either side of a Tee, then off that tee comes what’s called a “drop cable” to your devices. At either end you have a terminator which is there to prevent echos on the wire.

On my boat, up in the head I have my depth sounder, wind sensor, speed log, and AIS, all connected to a 4 drop Tee, then the backbone cable heads to the cockpit to connect to my VHF, instrument displays, and autopilot. I’ve since expanded to also connect to my battery system and alternator regulator, but that’s because I’m crazy like that.

For you, what you should probably look at acquiring is an “NMEA Starter Kit” this will have a couple of tees, a backbone cable, a couple of drop cables, and a power injector and is a good way to get started.
Thank you very much! That sounds like the way to go.
Is it possible to just connect a cable between the AIS 2K output and the Axiom in (It looks like both are the same plug so I assume it's NMEA 2K in.) before I get everything else hooked up? The AIS transmitter and Axiom MFD are very close, so that would be a snap.
Since the Axiom takes wifi input, is it possible to put all the other sensors, except radar and AIS, and connect them via wifi? Routing a heavy cable from front to back may be a bit tricky.
Old 21-06-2022, 05:02   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Thank you very much! That sounds like the way to go.

Is it possible to just connect a cable between the AIS 2K output and the Axiom in (It looks like both are the same plug so I assume it's NMEA 2K in.) before I get everything else hooked up? The AIS transmitter and Axiom MFD are very close, so that would be a snap.

Since the Axiom takes wifi input, is it possible to put all the other sensors, except radar and AIS, and connect them via wifi? Routing a heavy cable from front to back may be a bit tricky.

You cannot just connect the two with a cable, you’ll need to build a powered backbone. Once this is in place you can connect a huge amount of devices just by adding another t

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655812951.854539.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	259766

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...ECAEQFg&adurl=
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 08:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You cannot just connect the two with a cable, you’ll need to build a powered backbone. Once this is in place you can connect a huge amount of devices just by adding another t

Attachment 259766

OK Thanks. I better plan it out.
Old 23-06-2022, 07:08   #6

Quote:

Attachment 259766

Here's another question: What about connecting older sensors that I used with ST60+ instruments? I have Speed, Wind, and Depth with Airmar transducers. I haven't torn anything apart yet because it all works through the ST60+ displays. But I assume that, especially since they're a decade old, they will not have terminals to match the "T's" for the NMEA 2000 backbone. Can they be adapted?
Old 23-06-2022, 09:05   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Here's another question: What about connecting older sensors that I used with ST60+ instruments? I have Speed, Wind, and Depth with Airmar transducers. I haven't torn anything apart yet because it all works through the ST60+ displays. But I assume that, especially since they're a decade old, they will not have terminals to match the "T's" for the NMEA 2000 backbone. Can they be adapted?

Yes they can, through a ST1 to STng to N2K adapter.

I’ve done this most recently with old raymarine instruments to a new Garmin plotter.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 09:11   #8

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
You can also use an ITC-5 to connect older sensors. The ITC-5 eliminates the seatalk network. Whereas, the adapter bridges a seatalk and a seatalkng network.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 09:18   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Connecting Sensors to Axiom MFD

Whoops

If you want to use your existing transducers , ie without the old st60 displays then you need the ITC-5 transducer to Seatalkng converter
not the Seatalk to Seatslkng mentioned above

The itc-5 converts the transducer signals to nmea2000 ( Seatalkng)

Alternatively you can use an i50 and I60 display instruments that take the old St60 transducers and they convert to nmea2000/Seatalkng )

The Wi-Fi on ray marine is essentially proprietary so you can’t use it to extract information or send information from non ray marine gear nor can you use Raymarine Wi-Fi to connect to sensors

I would strongly advise running a Raynet cable up there mast to the radar rather then relying on Wi-Fi.
Old 23-06-2022, 09:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
You can also use an ITC-5 to connect older sensors. The ITC-5 eliminates the seatalk network. Whereas, the adapter bridges a seatalk and a seatalkng network.
I looked at the ITC-5 but it says it works for ST70 but not ST60.
Old 23-06-2022, 09:56   #11

Yes - if you want to keep your old sensors and ST60 displays, you need the Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter. That allows you to bridge the Seatalk and Seatalkng networks together. Not all PGNs are supported though.

If you only wanted a SeatalkNG/N2K network, then you'd use the ITC-5 and i70 or another vendor's N2K displays.
Old 23-06-2022, 10:57   #12

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Can an i70 be used when using that SeatalkNG/N2k converter? I already have that on my boat but want to upgrade the MFD to Axiom and put in some i70s
Old 23-06-2022, 11:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Can an i70 be used when using that SeatalkNG/N2k converter? I already have that on my boat but want to upgrade the MFD to Axiom and put in some i70s
Yes - the converter essentially allows you to have separate but connected networks: Seatalk (ST) and SeatalkNG (STNG). Your i70 would be on the STNG network. The converter takes NMEA 0183 sentences and converts them to the appropriate NMEA 2000 PGN and vice versa. It's a network bridge. It will only support the sentences and PGNs that are programmed into it. I tried to find a list quickly, but could not.

It's pretty straight foward. Marine Howto and Panbo have articles.

If you have ST sensors and STNG/N2K displays/MFD's, the ITC-5 is appropriate. If you have a mix of ST sensors and devices/displays (ST60 etc), then the converter is appropriate.
Old 23-06-2022, 12:07   #14

Quote:
Yes they can, through a ST1 to STng to N2K adapter.

I’ve done this most recently with old raymarine instruments to a new Garmin plotter.
Thanks. This looks to me like the option most likely to work. Raymarine says the ITC-5 doesn't work for ST60. Maybe it does but they say it doesn't. I see they refer to NMEA 2K as Seatalk NG (New Generation) if I understand them correctly.
Old 23-06-2022, 12:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Whoops

If you want to use your existing transducers , ie without the old st60 displays then you need the ITC-5 transducer to Seatalkng converter
not the Seatalk to Seatslkng mentioned above

The itc-5 converts the transducer signals to nmea2000 ( Seatalkng)

Alternatively you can use an i50 and I60 display instruments that take the old St60 transducers and they convert to nmea2000/Seatalkng )

The Wi-Fi on ray marine is essentially proprietary so you can’t use it to extract information or send information from non ray marine gear nor can you use Raymarine Wi-Fi to connect to sensors

I would strongly advise running a Raynet cable up there mast to the radar rather then relying on Wi-Fi.
What's wrong with wifi? I'm getting a good signal through an Al cabin top. It's possible rain will interfere. Still, putting another wire up the mast isn't an option without removing the mast, first.

Tags
sensor