Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2022, 11:40   #1

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Connecting iPad with Boating HD app to Raymarine autopilot

Hi all,

I have a new Raymarine EV 200 autopilot. My chartplotter at the helm is a Garmin. At my nav station I use an IPAD with Boating HD. The IPad recieved NMEA information through a Digital Yacht NavLink.

I’d like to be able to manipulate my autopilot from the IPAD.

Anyone know if it’s possible thru the Boating HD app?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200453F4-7436-483D-B440-BA09261044D2.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	257746   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F8A41C1-4DD1-4F21-AC31-AAF25EB9A54D.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	257747  

theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 01:03   #2

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: Connecting iPad with Boating HD app to Raymarine autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglo View Post
Hi all,

I have a new Raymarine EV 200 autopilot. My chartplotter at the helm is a Garmin. At my nav station I use an IPAD with Boating HD. The IPad recieved NMEA information through a Digital Yacht NavLink.

I’d like to be able to manipulate my autopilot from the IPAD.

Anyone know if it’s possible thru the Boating HD app?

Thanks!
Navionics cartography is good, their software is not.
Boating is a very limited app and it can't do what you want, don't waste your time with it.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 05:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
Navionics cartography is good, their software is not.
Boating is a very limited app and it can't do what you want, don't waste your time with it.
Any suggestions on other apps?

I'm looking for anything that offers minimal autopilot control, i.e. minor course corrections from inside the cabin where my iPAD is without crawling back to the main chart plotter and autopilot control at the outside helm.

Thinking I may just need to suck it up or just purchase another head unit.

Thanks!
Old 15-05-2022, 07:37   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Or "suck it up" and use OpenCPN on another platform, including: Android, PC laptop, Linux....
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 18:50   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

By the way, for alleged safety reasons, B&G stops a remote device controlling the autopilot. One must use the chart plotter or dedicated autopilto control instrument, both of which are connected to the autopilot via NMEA 2000.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 19:17   #6

Boat: Southerly 480

The WilhelmSK app with the yacht devices' YDWG-02 will allow you to control the raymarine autopilot from your iPad. The claim is you don't need a signalk server to do so with the YDWG-02. If you don't have the YDWG-02, then you can use a signal-k server and your Navlink to control the autopilot.

I haven't tested either approach myself yet. I hope to test the YDWG-02 approach next week.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 19:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
The WilhelmSK app with the yacht devices' YDWG-02 will allow you to control the raymarine autopilot from your iPad. The claim is you don't need a signalk server to do so with the YDWG-02. If you don't have the YDWG-02, then you can use a signal-k server and your Navlink to control the autopilot.

I haven't tested either approach myself yet. I hope to test the YDWG-02 approach next week.
interesting. let me know how it works out!
Old 15-05-2022, 22:25   #8

No idea if you can do it with the current setup, but you could if you had a Raymarine Axiom chartplotter. It has a built-in mirroring app that you can use with the iPad to control the chartplotter and autopilot
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 03:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
No idea if you can do it with the current setup, but you could if you had a Raymarine Axiom chartplotter. It has a built-in mirroring app that you can use with the iPad to control the chartplotter and autopilot
Yep, I've looked into that. I'm going to try the same type of program that mirrors the Garmin. From what I can tell though I have to connect to the Garmin's WIFI network, which then kicks me off my NMEA WIFI broadcasting network, etc etc. I'll let the forum know if I figure something out.
Old 16-05-2022, 07:46   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Connecting iPad with Boating HD app to Raymarine autopilot

The app is for android tablets and is very unstable ( it crashes a lot ) , I use it. To get full autopilot control however from the ray MFD you need a EVO pilot , the older ones can only be switched into and out of standby

None of the older ray pilots can be properly controlled by an app as Raymarine has never released the Seatalk protocol and even then it’s very limited. You need a ray nmea2000 compatible pilot to get third party control.
Old 16-05-2022, 08:00   #11

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The app is for android tablets and is very unstable ( it crashes a lot ) , I use it. To get full autopilot control however from the ray MFD you need a EVO pilot , the older ones can only be switched into and out of standby
There is also an iOS version for the iPad, and I downloaded it last week. I've not done any testing on it yet.

I'm not on my boat again until (hopefully) this week. I should be able to test it (unless the shipping changes - which it may).
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 16:31   #12

Yes, very easy to do. I have done it and the process works perfectly. Download “Aquamaps” from the App Store and pay the $10 / year for the Aquamaps Master account. Best deal for marine cartography ever! Make your route in Aquamaps. It’s crazy simple. Now ‘share’ the route using a GPX format to the Active Captain app. You will then find the route under charts / user data. From there you need to Wi-Fi connect to your Garmin chartplotter and then select the route from the Active Captain app and select “ Sync & Navigate” . The ActiveCap app will display a message “waiting for Chartplotter to acknowledge” You then accept from the Garmin chartplotter the request for the downloaded route. Once reviewed you can advise Chartplotter to navigate route. From the Raymarine AP display you select “track” and then select “route”. The Raymarine AP will drive the AP to each waypoint with exceptional station keeping accuracy. I typically see under 6 feet from course line. Any questions call me at (480) 280-3809 I’m on East coast.
rhirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 16:35   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhirwin View Post
Yes, very easy to do. I have done it and the process works perfectly. Download “Aquamaps” from the App Store and pay the $10 / year for the Aquamaps Master account. Best deal for marine cartography ever! Make your route in Aquamaps. It’s crazy simple. Now ‘share’ the route using a GPX format to the Active Captain app. You will then find the route under charts / user data. From there you need to Wi-Fi connect to your Garmin chartplotter and then select the route from the Active Captain app and select “ Sync & Navigate” . The ActiveCap app will display a message “waiting for Chartplotter to acknowledge” You then accept from the Garmin chartplotter the request for the downloaded route. Once reviewed you can advise Chartplotter to navigate route. From the Raymarine AP display you select “track” and then select “route”. The Raymarine AP will drive the AP to each waypoint with exceptional station keeping accuracy. I typically see under 6 feet from course line. Any questions call me at (480) 280-3809 I’m on East coast.
He wants to control the AP from the app, that’s not what you are doing. .
Old 20-11-2022, 03:37   #14

I would like to use an iPad as an auto pilot , it has all the electronics in the iPad to do that compass and what not , Bluetooth relay or switch to a reversing pump and an iPad app please tell me it can be done
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 04:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
I would like to use an iPad as an auto pilot , it has all the electronics in the iPad to do that compass and what not , Bluetooth relay or switch to a reversing pump and an iPad app please tell me it can be done
I never figured it out.

Tags
autopilot, boat, boating, Ipad, marine, raymarine