Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 10:39   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Connecting DSC VHF into network

I have an ICom M604 VHF which I installed last year to replace an old Simrad which melted down.

I have programmed in my MMSI number but I so far do not have any GSM position data into the VHF for the automatic position reports.

I think it's just two wires to get NMEA data into the VHF but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. There was a proprietary cable from Raymarine which is obsolete and unobtanium. My navigation network consists of RL80CRC+ and RL70CR+ plotters, radome, and other stuff. The main plotter is right next to the VHF and I'm itching to get that data over.

Anybody have this experience? Any tips?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:06   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Connecting DSC VHF into network

I have my radio connected to my RL70CR+. I used the NMEA 183 connections out of the standard connector. I found that because the previous radio did not have this feature the wires had been taped over but were there. All of my Ray Marine instruments were connected via the seatalk buss so the NMEA wired were not used. If you have NMEA 183 instruments then you will need to connect the radio wired into that circuit. It was all quite painless. If your original installation did not include the connector for NMEA out, I'm not sure what your going to do. If you have an NMEA enabled GPS it can drive more than 1 output so you could connect directly to it. If it's a seatalk GPS you're probably out of luck and will need a seatalk to NMEA interface. I'll bet some Raymarine dealer/repair shop somewhere has an nmea out cable sitting on a shelf somewhere, but it may be hard to find.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:17   #3

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA
Re: Connecting DSC VHF into network

Dockhead,

Page 8-30 of the RL80CRC manual has a description of the NMEA ouput. You need a pigtail (NMEA Output Connector). On some older systems you may need to turn the NMEA output on.

http://www.raymarine.com/submittedfi...81188_3www.pdf

Tags
dsc, vhf