Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 14:14   #1

Computer setup

Howdy all!

Just bought a sailing boat (have had a few, so its an exchange for a larger one).

I got Windows PC software and charts in the deal.

One scenario is to use a small PC such as fit-PC, no monitor nor keyboards nor mice. Connect to it over wifi using a remote desktop app on a tablet. Putting a mount at the helm to have a tablet there.

This way we can use chart software in the computer on certain passages, where we don't have other charts (except paper charts, something we wouldn't compromise on).

Why? Economical reasons I suppose...charts are expensive, and there was included some digital charts for PC only over areas of the world that we don't have for the Raymarine plotter, so it's already paid for by the previous owner.

Cons: a bit sensitive, wifi won't always work as expected this way etc, I would need another component, a wireless router, which can malfunction. Pros: I can interact with the computer, it's basically like a RDP session from one computer to another, full control.

Another scenario would be a laptop running inside the boat, but then we have to double the display somehow (to view at the helm), sounds more complicated. Has the advantage that it runs on battery and one can have extra batteries and not being dependent on the boat batteries.

Pros: less gadgets, no wireless router, but the display image must be duplicated so perhaps more stuff needed anyway.

Cons: not the same control capabilities, I can just view at the helm.
For both options, I am pretty sure (can't remember the name of the software right now) that the software is not using touch screen as input, so I guess I have to have a mouse and keyboard connected? Or would Windows 8.1 or 10 fix that for the software, like a layer above the software somehow? It's pretty old software, I'm fairly sure of that.

With a tablet I could buy a logitech bluetooth keyboard though (there are cases that has it integrated when you open the case), perhaps with a touchpad (don't want an external mouse) integrated into it + waterproof?

How to mount that extra equipment at the helm and to use in tough weather remains to be solved...

Thanks for a nice forum,

Cheers

Robert
Sweden
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 05:25   #2

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Computer setup

Why not an iPad with charts? iNanX. Then attach the iPad up by the helm when needed? We have done this set up for a few years. Gad a computer originally, don't miss it. It was big and cumbersome. iPad cache carried ashore for email. Also have my AIS system wifi connected to iNavX. Great combo.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote