Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 15:18   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Computer Screen Glare

I have a computer on my boat and have a problem with glare on the screen when I try to use it with charts. I do not want to spend the $1,500.00 for a sun glare screen. Do any of the glare screen covers for computers work when you have the computer in the cockpit?
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 16:08   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This problem was addressed and solved years ago in the motion picture production business by the guys at Hoodman Corporation, but you don't need to buy one of their overpriced products to solve your problem.

If you go to their web page and have a look at what they have for sale under "Field Monitor," you'll quickly gain an understanding of how the Hoodman products work. Most people make the mistake of putting something above the screen, in the mistaken assumption that it is sunlight falling on the screen that is washing out the image. But if the sun is not falling directly on the screen, then sunlight is not the problem.

The real problem is that the screen is reflecting what is in front of it back into the viewer's eyes. Most of the time, that is the viewer, himself. It's funny to watch people stare at a screen outdoors, trying to "shade" it with their hand, and completely unable to see the image. That's funny to me, because they can't train their eye to look at what they're actually seeing on the screen, and instead stare helplessly at the screen, looking for the output of the device that they just can't see.

Once you learn to see what is there, you will quickly note that it's you and whatever is behind you that you're actually seeing reflected. The solution, therefore, is to place a flat black card under the screen and tilted up so that the screen reflects the flat black surface. Since the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, you want to look slightly downward at the screen rather than straight on, so that the black card is reflected back to your eye.

Voila! The output of the screen is now visible!

The two sides and the top of the "hood" that you can make out of show card (thin card stock that is flat black on one side, white on the other) serve only one purpose - to keep the sun, or any other light source, off of the bottom piece of flat black card.

You can see by looking at the Hoodman products that the principle is always the same: tilt the screen of the output device downward, and the flat black card below the screen upward. Then attach two sides and a top piece to keep any ambient light off the lower card.

The hood can be attached to the device by tape, but if you prefer something that looks a little more professional, you can attach it with velcro. The hook piece goes on the device, and the loop piece goes on the hood.

There ya go - problem solved! Spend that $1500 on something nice for your vessel, or for yourself.

TaoJones
Old 08-11-2009, 16:27   #3

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
Nice TJ! Ilove to see simple solutions to problems..

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:55   #4

Tao Jones – thank you for the response. Very direct, clear, and informative. Thank you Dave
Old 09-11-2009, 06:47   #5

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Nice method
Old 09-11-2009, 08:37   #6

Think Tank has an option:

Pixel Sunscreenâ„¢ V 2.0 Accessory - Think Tank
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:07   #7

Think Tank is a good model for a lap top. Although I think I would extend the front and angle the screen like as in Hoodman design.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:06   #8

Boat: Duncanson 34
With I bought my first laptop the salesman told me a gloos screen was better than matt regarding outside use. However I would have to hide from the glare under a blanket if using it outside,(a bit embarrising if you are trying to share the screen with others) Four months later whilst under the anti glare shelter, a geek showed me the F7 F8 buttons to adjust the screen brightness.Now it is fine.
geko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I wear a dark shirt or jacket...problem pretty much solved.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computers, screen