Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 01:24   #46

Boat: Home made - 30ft
Re: Computer monitor: 12vdc, energy efficient, etc.

Hello,

what type of connector do you have on your computer? The very efficient could be monitor for CCTV cameras, like this: US! 15" TFT LCD HD 1024*768 Monitor HDMI VGA AV BNC Input For CCTV Security DVD | eBay.

David
david1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 13:42   #47

Boat: Bahia 46

I found this today. Doesn't look like a great quality display but it does include a regulated power supply for 12/24v.

24" 12V LED HD Digital TV DVD 12 VOLT 24 V. Caravan, Boat, HGV, Truck | eBay

Always important to remember to add a voltage regulator because there can be massive spikes if you crank an engine on the same rail.
barrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 18:47   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Bumping this Thread again as the new 2017 Monitors and TV's have just arrived here in the Philippines

Anyone found a 26" to 32" Monitor for a Pilothouse installation..

.... For TV's these tend to be basic (not Smart) units, which is OK as I don't need an internet TV in the pilothouse as it is a monitor for the laptop.

But are basic TV's a better value for laptop dual monitor functions?

This 40" model Smart TV is what I am buying for my Cabin/office which is wired for cable when we move back onboard

Interfaces great with my Samsung Smart Phone

https://youtu.be/dsrbEQ5wYWs
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:05   #49

Lots of options out there now. I have a Majestic in my campervan which would work pretty well in a boat as well. Lots of them here, and other options as well https://gimmu.com/12v-tv/
anothertaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 19:47   #50

Boat: Norman Cross 46

I completely agree with Skipgundlach !

Bob has been supplying me with 12vdc mini-PC, monitors, wifi booster antenna and more since over 15 years with complete satisfaction!
Quick, professional, knowledgeable, nice guy and not trying to push expensive or poor quality products ! And not a big impersonal company but on ep[erson business and a cruiser himself!

QUOTE=skipgundlach;2166318]Laughs, as had I not read the thread, I've have suggested you contact Bob (immediately above) as he knows everything there is to know about computing aboard.

Not insignificantly, he is the king of customer service, and despite my being able on my own, has built the original, and more lately, the replacement computer aboard Flying Pig, provided the WiFi system we've used for over 10 years (with upgrades/mods, but essentially identical function), and one of us.

If you can use him, pay the very few bux and have him build/configure it for you; you'll have a lifetime of support to go with the excellent craftsmanship. Read his warranty specs just to get a shock, at Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC - I have NEVER encountered that level of commitment elsewhere.

/commercial [/QUOTE]
Old 17-12-2019, 20:53   #51

Boat: Freedom 38

I was seconds away from pulling the trigger on this portable monitor thatnI plan to hook up with a NUC. I have no idea of the amperage (couldn't find it in the specs) but it has the holes where I can attach a swing down arm to get it out of the way on my nav station and it's powered by a USB 3.0 cable. I plan to use AirMail and OpenCPN on the NUC. In the end, the whole set up might be a complete disaster and power hog, but meh, that's sometimes just part of the learning process. However....if anyone wants to shoot holes in this, that would be great to hear! Soon.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MB168B-1...=fsclp_pl_dp_1
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 21:13   #52

Boat: Outremer 50S

Gamayun,

We use a couple of these for field work with a laptop. Haven’t ever tried with a NUC.

They’re OK. Not going to rave, not extremely bright, but they get the job done and we like having them so that says something. USB-C which we now have around on the boat anyway. Spec sheet says <7.5W (typical) so shouldn’t be too much of a power hog. Might have to try one myself (on the boat).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 22:22   #53

Thanks, Dsanduril! What kind of field work do you do? I am going to press 'buy' now. My kid (the super techie in the family) will be here next week and it'll be fun having him help me install it all.
Old 17-12-2019, 23:15   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I was seconds away from pulling the trigger on this portable monitor thatnI plan to hook up with a NUC. I have no idea of the amperage (couldn't find it in the specs) but it has the holes where I can attach a swing down arm to get it out of the way on my nav station and it's powered by a USB 3.0 cable. I plan to use AirMail and OpenCPN on the NUC. In the end, the whole set up might be a complete disaster and power hog, but meh, that's sometimes just part of the learning process. However....if anyone wants to shoot holes in this, that would be great to hear! Soon.

7.5 watts according to
https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-m...-monitor-15-6/
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 23:52   #55

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wimaxit+1...chscreen+usb-c

Works with raspi, windows,... USB powered.
Old 18-12-2019, 00:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Perfect although that reference to Windows 7 kinda threw me. Must be an old review.
Old 18-12-2019, 00:16   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Perfect although that reference to Windows 7 kinda threw me. Must be an old review.

That will be the minimum supported Windows version. It just means that it won't run on older versions of Windows (XP, Vista). They probably don't have suitable drivers.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 20:26   #58

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avionics_Joe View Post
I have used this before with good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-...F8WNA4RGYWKYF7

That’s what I use
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 18:58   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Don't know the power budget on your boat, but that looks fine to me. A lot of people are using Intel NUC's on boats and monitors like that and are happy. I am using something slightly different -- a Beelink mini comp with the new high performance Gemini Lake Pentium Silver Atom-based processor which uses much less power than the Core processors. Maybe worth a look if you didn't already buy the NUC.

As far as the monitor is concerned -- only thing about the one you show which I wouldn't like is that it has less than HD resolution. Working with charts in O you would be glad to have a bit more resolution, I believe. There is a Full HD version of the monitor you showed; that would be the ticket I think, and the fact that it's powered over USB will simplify the installation
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 19:31   #60

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

How about this one: Samsung LC27F396FHU

Should run on 12V (brick style power supply), has VESA mount capability. Is 27" and curved.......

https://icecat.biz/us/p/samsung/lc27...-30936005.html

OK, I dislike the curve......

-Richard

Tags
monitor