Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 06:59   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Re: Computer monitor: 12vdc, energy efficient, etc.

I had some time to look at monitor availability yesterday and I could not find any new 12 volt consumer monitors available. I did find a number of Samsung 14 volt monitors & I know that Samsungs 14 volt monitors worked well on a boats 12 volt buss.

14 volt
SAMSUNG 300 series S24D300HL
SAMSUNG S24D300HL Black 23.6" 5ms Widescreen LCD/LED Monitor, 200 cd/m2 DCR Mega Infinity (1000:1), D-Sub HDMI-Newegg.com
SAMSUNG 351 Series S32F351
SAMSUNG 351 Series S32F351 Glossy White 32" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250cd/m2 (Typical), 200cd/m2 (Min) DCR Mega Infinity (5,000:1) - Newegg.com
Samsung 350 series
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-22-In...01CX27190?th=1
SAMSUNG 390 series
SAMSUNG C22F390 Glossy Black 22" 4ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor Curved 250cd/m2 (Typical) / 200cd/m2 (Min) DCR Mega Infinity (3,000:1) - Newegg.com
SAMSUNG S24E370DL
SAMSUNG S24E370DL Glossy White PLS 23.6" 4ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor&#59; Free-Sync Compatible w/ Wireless Phone Charging Capability-Newegg.com

The only 12 volt monitors I ran across were a couple of refubished ones.

12 volt
Hanns-G HL161ABB Refurbished
Refurbished: Hanns-G HL161ABB Black 15.6" 16ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 200 cd/m2 400:1 - Newegg.com

AOC I2757FH-B 27" refurbished
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824160223

As you can see from the links I use Newegg.com for my searching. They usually have pictures of the box contents so it is easy to find which monitors have AC/DC power adapter. LG and Acer have both produced some 19 volt monitors that may be found new or refurbished. You just have to look.
Old 04-11-2016, 16:32   #32

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post

The only 12 volt monitors I ran across were a couple of refubished ones.

12 volt
Hanns-G HL161ABB Refurbished
Refurbished: Hanns-G HL161ABB Black 15.6" 16ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 200 cd/m2 400:1 - Newegg.com
Stay away from that Hanns-G. I had one and it would flicker and was pretty dim.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:10   #33

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

My thanks to you all. This is a topic I was just considering.

I came the long round-a-bout method though. My laptop has no GPS functionality, but it has OpenCPN installed along with a bunch of charts. So I grabbed an old Android smart phone out of the drawer. Basically, the phone has no sim card, been stripped of every app I could and has a very dated version of the Android OS. I side loaded an app to share GPS with my laptop. Problem solved!

The cockpits on the sailboats I have been looking at don't seem to be laptop friendly. So I was considering how to have my cake and eat it too. One scenario had me buying a tablet to put in a waterproof pouch. But then I thought about finding a touchscreen monitor, Silicone Conformal Coating and a couple of cables.

Was considering a touchscreen display from Walmart, the ASUS 19.5" LED LCD Widescreen Touchscreen Monitor (VT207N Black - $184.99 + FREE shipping) can be used with no need for mouse of keyboard. There is a long USB cable at Amazon for only $10.99 and a long VGA cable, the Cmple - SVGA Monitor Cable - Gold-Plated - 25 Ft. for only $9.49. Total of about $206.

But having read this thread, I see I have more homework to do. This unit consumes 16.4 watts but it's power supply is internal. That is way out of my capabilities. So again, thanks! I'll keep looking!
Old 15-02-2017, 08:13   #34

This thread deserves a BUMP because the community is constantly upgrading onboard electronics, especially those components that perform 'double-duty' such as displays used for computing, navigation and entertainment. I hope that some of you will share your finds with the reast of us and include some pro and con context.

As electronics evolve, I have found that my search requirements change. The most common solutions for seeing monitor images on a bright, sunny day are sunlight readable monitors and optically bonded monitors. Currently, I am looking at 'optically bonded displays' because of the power consumption numbers and prices have started to come down.

I would love to find a better selection to choose from, but right now I have only found one to fit my budget and it falls short in a number of my criteria for a monitor, though the problems are not necessarily insurmountable for some of you on larger boats.

This is an inexpensive Optically Bonded Display monitor with a 3000:1 static contrast ratio for bright light environments, designed for Kiosks, etc.; the ViewSonic TD2421 24" Touch Screen Monitor found at NewEgg for $283.00 (no tax, no shipping) and offered for $224.00 on ebay.

There are a number of very attractive features but there are major drawbacks for my situation. Perhaps some of you might benefit.

In the plus column;

Display Type LED-backlit LCD monitor / TFT active matrix
Aspect Ratio Widescreen - 16:9
Native Resolution Full HD (1080p) 1920 x 1080
178 x 178 degree wide viewing angle,
supports 2 finger touch and includes Windows drivers.

I/O ports are adequate and include VGA (HD-15), DVI-I, HDMI, Headphones, Audio line-in, 2 x USB 2.0 downstream (Type A), USB 2.0 upstream (Type B), 2 x 2 watt speakers.

Some of the drawbacks are that it is big for my boat @ 24 inches. It does not have a TV tuner, is AC powered, it draws 19 watts (0.5 watt standby), it isn't water resistant and it's operating temperature is 32-104 degrees Fahrenheit so it would require some weather-proofing and climate control not normally found in an open cockpit of 30 something foot sailboat. However, this might would work fine in a pilothouse or enclosed cockpit vessel with a larger energy budget than mine.

Hope this helps.
Old 21-02-2017, 06:38   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The dual monitor function works flawlessly in Windows 8.1 with a great variety of monitors, in my experience. I use it with a 32" Samsung monitor on my salon bulkhead as well as a 23" 4k monitor at my nav table, as well as hotel TV's, conference room projects, etc., etc. Never a problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1487687839242.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	141695

As a followup I've held off buying the new Samsung Pilothouse Smary TV till the new 2017 models are out and the 2016 prices drop.

I like Samsung as we use Samsung Smart phones and the screen mirroring does not need WiFi and is flawless.

The 2016 trend on the Smart TVs were bigger processors for faster browsing. very thin and 32" seems to be the smallest size with their improved platform.

This 32" Monitor/TV is inside so bright light performance is not an requirement for me, however a previous poster made a point about recommending "backlit" LED vs LED.

Is that still an issue for my application?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:34   #36

The difference in cost using an android/Ipad chart is incredibly high particularly if you comparethe cost of CMaps with charts for Navionic apps. The main reason for using proprietary plotters is the ability to link via NMEA 0183 and more importantly the ability to see the chart in the cockpit on a sunny day.
Is there a way of buying a second hand plotter and just using the screen, plugging it into an android/ipad/windows system?
Why can you not buy these daylight screens in the open market? Who makes them?
I am very happy using my Android Samsung S2 with an amoled HD screen, but again in bright daylight the screen has to be shielded.
I have made a black cover which I use on the flying bridge but it is rather like the old radar sets with a telescope type hood.
Is there anyone out there who is techincally savvy to explain how one could use one of these special daylight screens which seem to be only available to Garmin, Ray Marine etc.?
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:02   #37

Boat: Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecambrai View Post
The difference in cost using an android/Ipad chart is incredibly high particularly if you comparethe cost of CMaps with charts for Navionic apps. (...)
But that is not the only choice. I found Transas (isailor app) much more sensible price wise- and that is the option working on both platforms. Especially that a price includes lifetime updates for each chart. There is also no problem in connecting to other instruments when using wifi bridge. I'm using only iPad as an additional source (I normally use paper charts). Never needed it on deck so never had a problem with sun reflection.
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:07   #38

By using a wifi bridge are you connecting to other tablets or are you connecting to the autopilot or another gadget? What is a wifi bridge?
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:13   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . The main reason for using proprietary plotters is the ability to link via NMEA 0183 and more importantly the ability to see the chart in the cockpit on a sunny day.. . .
Not only. Also:

1. Rugged
2. Weatherproof
3. Robust and crash resistant (I won't say "crash proof")
4. Dedicated
5. Virus-proof
6. Control your pilot and interface with it
7. Control radar or sonar (except Vulcan)
8. Share charts over the network (except Vulcan)
9. Native N2K and 0183 without adapters
10. Will bridge between N2K and 0183

And that's just off the top of my head -- there are probably a bunch of other advantages which didn't come directly to mind.

The entry-level real marine plotters are so cheap now, that I doubt you could buy even a daylight viewable screen for a consumer grade computer, for the same price.

To each his own, but for me a dedicated real marine plotter, at least for the cockpit, is a no-brainer.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:15   #40

Boat: Tiki 38

Quote:
By using a wifi bridge are you connecting to other tablets or are you connecting to the autopilot or another gadget? What is a wifi bridge?

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. Things like that:

Name:	Image1487704406.241367.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	141712

Providing NMEA data over wifi. Maybe anything using NMEA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1487704379.085795.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	141711  
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:30   #41
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

To each his own, but for me a dedicated real marine plotter, at least for the cockpit, is a no-brainer.
Same here....this is my new cockpit console layout and the only plotter/MFD I purchased, along with the redundancy of basic instruments.

Name:	1487707902241.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	141713

Inside the pilothouse, I prefer to have a larger entertainment monitor for anchor where I can also prepare passage plans and slave to the MFD if driving from the pilothouse.

This is how it is Wired, but by choosing a Smart TV it will wirelessly network with all my Samsung devices, Vesper AIS and the smartTV/monitor in our cabin, when I am off watch.

Name:	1487708961379.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	141714
Old 21-02-2017, 12:36   #42
CF Adviser

One more interface drawingClick image for larger version

Name:	1487709309326.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	141715
Old 22-02-2017, 01:40   #43

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ight+readable+
Old 22-02-2017, 01:40   #44

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+touch+screen
Old 13-03-2017, 17:05   #45

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

I have been reviewing threads on monitors for openplotter on my fly bridge.
Prices for LCD screens for sunlight readable monitors are crazy expensive.
I stumbled across monitors used by drone hobbiests for first person view (FPV) flying.
https://www.amazon.com/Eleduino-Stat...cd+fpv+monitor

Seems like a good option for not a lot of money. Can anyone poke holes in the specs?
Thanks
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor