Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2022, 08:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
cockpit speakers that won't break

I have two options on a recently acquired Sabre 28. Fill in the gaping orifices in the cockpit combing left by broken speakers, or simply replace the speakers.

I'm tempted to fill them in, as I've rarely been aboard a boat in which cockpit speakers on the combing hadn't been kicked out by crew members over the years.

... however, getting new speakers would save me the trouble and allow me to have music in the cockpit as a bonus.

Anybody know of a decent (don't need to be top-quality audio) speakers that are also durable?
Old 26-05-2022, 08:57   #2

Re: cockpit speakers that won't break

I would just look for some with better grills that are stronger. Take a look at Crutchfield
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-bhbTZN...omer_Rating%7C[rank1]5%20stars[img]/Best-Marine-Speakers.html

My speakers are installed very low in the cockpit, but they have not been smashed or broken. They are well protected by the grills that came with them.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 09:26   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't really know what speakers are "durable". But I have decided that ones that have the "teeth" type attachment in the back for the wires aren't. So get ones that the wire is already connected inside the housing and sealed.
Old 26-05-2022, 09:38   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Replace the speakers.
The only speakers I have that can take the exterior of a boat is BOSE 151. I absolutely love them. Too big for holes. They will play under water. We submerged one and listened to led zeppelin scuba diving 50’ below it. Sony and Panasonic also made a water resistant speaker just for the power boat market 80-90’s. Sea Ray came with exterior Sony speakers
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 14:50   #5

Boat: Cape Barren Goose

Depending on the type of cruising you are doing, maybe consider filling them in with glass, filler etc

I personally never have them as if the boat ever rolls, the paper/film membrane on the back of the speakers will tear under hull pressure and water fill come in fast through the 4” hole

I have a waterproof Bose wireless portable speaker, it is awesome
Old 26-05-2022, 16:07   #6

Boat: Amel 50

The Fusion XS line of speakers has held up well.
Old 26-05-2022, 16:17   #7

Boat: Voyage 430

JL or Wetsounds
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 16:45   #8

I haven't yet seen/heard "marine" hole-mounting cockpit speakers that I liked. They always sound yecch to me, and they never seem to last more than 2 or 3 years before ripping or rusting.

And - the thought of them rupturing and letting in water in a blow or a knockdown... holy sh!t, I had not contemplated that before.

So I too would lean towards stand-alone outdoor speakers like the outdoor Bose ones. And you don't have to mount them permanantly so they can be put out of the way when not desired.

On our small boat, I opted for a small but decent-sounding AM-FM stereo radio, that you can also plug a streaming player into. Easy to move around.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 17:51   #9

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Another vote for free-standing Bluetooth speakers.
(I also happen to have the Bose).

Just check that your electrical system can charge them as some have specific voltage requirements.

I like being able to store them out of the way until needed.
Plus guests can play their own music, podcasts, language lessons etc very easily.

Downsides: remembering to charge them, they are portable so more easily stolen, need to be well secured when underway.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 18:11   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m a Bang and Olufsen nut so my Bose are my exterior beaters. My cabin has a pair of 12V BeoLab 3 with Wisa. I have b&o in the house everything is Wisa. If you wire them you need shielded cad 7. Each speaker coil has an ice amp. The 3’s are my rear speakers at home. The B&O blue tooth box beats up the Bose or the Bowes Wilkins pretty bad but it’s from their Beo Play Chinese made stuff and they all fail.
The Dinghy has a blue tooth Bob Marley Chant. Great tunes. I’m not a fan of blue tooth. Listen to analog or blue tooth beside Wisa and you understand why 2 wire speakers are a thing of the past.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit