Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2012, 14:35   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Clearing up Scratched RayMarine Displays

The "vintage" RayMarine log and depth gauges on my new-to-me boat are both scratched. So much so the knot log is almost unreadable.

I have seen several threads about using MacGuiers products on lexan windows. Does anyone know if the same products that fix issues on lexan will also work on the screens of RayMarine instruments?

Thanks

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore
The "vintage" RayMarine log and depth gauges on my new-to-me boat are both scratched. So much so the knot log is almost unreadable.

I have seen several threads about using MacGuiers products on lexan windows. Does anyone know if the same products that fix issues on lexan will also work on the screens of RayMarine instruments?

Thanks

Bill
It is far more common to see the RM displays turn black (burn in) - cant be fixed.

For scratching I personally would get a plexiglass repair kit from an aviation supply house like Sporty's Pilot Shop. These kits have the coumpounds and sand paper/polishing paper. Depending on depth of scratches one starts with about 400/600 grit and works up to like 1600 grit. I have used successfully on airplane canopies and might be worth a shot. Need tots of patience to do a good job and dont be freaked out as the interim grades look like you really messed it up...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:39   #3

Re: Clearing up Scratched RayMarine Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
This thread on another forum mentions Novus products for polishing plastics. There is the caveat that in some cases you are removing an anti-glare coating, but there are stick-on anti-glare films available to remedy that.

For light scratching, I've used toothpaste. This is a trick we've used to buff out small scratches on CDs.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 14:36   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Clearing up Scratched RayMarine Displays

Snore if it is a hard plastic, Novus for sure. A dremel or other tool with a polishing pad beats all hell out of trying to do it by hand. If it is a "vinyl" type plastic or touch-response of any kind? The problem gets more complicated. Although Flitz claims their polish works on Strataglass and other soft "window" products.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine