Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2021, 09:13   #16

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Cheapest SSB setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
Hi, I would likely do the same but for the cost and anyway i do not need anything except to get weather fax. There are some advantages in being antisocial.
Yeah, I wish I could cut a few more ties for simplicity and cost.

hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 09:22   #17

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

The Garmin Inreach Spot can only send limited text messages but is cheaper to run than Iridium go (which is great if you have the cash for it!).

Most of the times when you are not in passage you will have cell coverage anyway.
So if you can do without the increased com of Iridium go, using Spot & SSB weather chart reception might suffice offshore if you are on a budget.

If your not crossing oceans soon, it might be worth waiting for 1-2years and get a Starlink terminal with full internet for a reasonable price than.
Old 16-01-2021, 10:21   #18

Little correction, both, the Spot X and the Garmin Inreach are Text message alternatives to IridiumGo, which are cheaper to run than IridiumGo while adding some limited two way satellite communications to the weatherfax SSB when far offshore.

They do not allow GRIB download though, which can be done with the IridiumGo.

Mind you check world wide coverage of each system, as that differs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
The Garmin Inreach Spot can only send limited text messages but is cheaper to run than Iridium go (which is great if you have the cash for it!).

Most of the times when you are not in passage you will have cell coverage anyway.
So if you can do without the increased com of Iridium go, using Spot & SSB weather chart reception might suffice offshore if you are on a budget.

If your not crossing oceans soon, it might be worth waiting for 1-2years and get a Starlink terminal with full internet for a reasonable price than.
Old 16-01-2021, 11:45   #19

Yes, I had a look at these as you suggested but I don't need communication as such, just a pressure chart. At this point I do not intend long ocean crossings, just cut a few ocean corners maybe, and I like to stay out as much as possible so need to know the weather. If that changes later then (as suggested above) starlink may be there.
I tried to locate your post about your setup but failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Little correction, both, the Spot X and the Garmin Inreach are Text message alternatives to IridiumGo, which are cheaper to run than IridiumGo while adding some limited two way satellite communications to the weatherfax SSB when far offshore.

They do not allow GRIB download though, which can be done with the IridiumGo.

Mind you check world wide coverage of each system, as that differs.
MrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 14:19   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

MrChris, for your application the Tecsun receiver is quite adequate, and you do not need a dedicated and insulated antenna. Simply attach the antenna terminal on the RX to one of your chainplates and it will work and work well (unless your yacht is alloy or steel construction).

Jim
Old 16-01-2021, 14:44   #21

Hey Chris,

here is the link to my old posting with the setup:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-97533-85.html
Quote:
Yes, I had a look at these as you suggested but I don't need communication as such, just a pressure chart. At this point I do not intend long ocean crossings, just cut a few ocean corners maybe, and I like to stay out as much as possible so need to know the weather. If that changes later then (as suggested above) starlink may be there.
I tried to locate your post about your setup but failed.
Old 16-01-2021, 16:44   #22

Thank you Jim . Will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
MrChris, for your application the Tecsun receiver is quite adequate, and you do not need a dedicated and insulated antenna. Simply attach the antenna terminal on the RX to one of your chainplates and it will work and work well (unless your yacht is alloy or steel construction).

Jim
Old 16-01-2021, 21:25   #23

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I had synthetic rigging, but the tecsun still worked with just the fm antenna, I think the power wires going to it from the battery were sufficient.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 21:41   #24

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I third or fourth the recommendations above for the Tecsun 880.... not the cheapest solution but certainly the best solution for portable SSB/Wefax reception.
It comes with a handy 'longwire' if you want to set it up ashore while getting the hang of it.

The 660/680 and the new 330 don't have 'line out' which the 880 does. 'Line out' lets you listen while you record - and don't have the quality of 'fine tuning' control that you need for fax frequencies which are typically 1.9 below the listed frequency.

A photo of my 880 receiving a 'test pattern' from Charleville/WMC below...

Fax frequencies and schedules can be found here...
https://www.weather.gov/media/marine/rfax.pdf

Last but not Least... Gough Lui from Sydney NSW did an interesting series on wefax a few years back..... work your way down the burrow from here.. https://goughlui.com/2019/03/07/radi...al-centre-cma/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	451.2 KB
ID:	230520  
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:16   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350
Cheapest SSB setup

Quote:
I am aged and electronically ignorant. After some research in this confusing subject I am heading toward SSB for weather faxes, and I also think at this point that I need an antennae which I may achieve by utilising the second backstay I am installing anyway (double duty for single outlay)
I can not afford all the things I might ideally need and anyway I intend to keep blue water stretches to the minimum but still need cheapest solution to weather info. I do not necessarily need to send except in emergency.
I would be most grateful for advice in regard to the simplest cheapest solution and recommended instruments?

An alternative is a cheap SDR and PC or iPad Blackcat SW. I had these tools for weather backup source.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/weather-fax/
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 14:01   #26

Thanks for all the advice. I have an 880 coming and am fighting my laptop to the death to get open cpn working on it while I wait. I have it installed and can get charts etc but am in that dark place, out of depth, wherever it is that the GPS things are.
Old 18-01-2021, 14:34   #27

Boat: Riva 48

The cheapest setup usually ends up costing more in the long run but here it goes:

Stage 1 - $200. Tecsun PL-660 SSB receiver plus laptop/android phone to decode. You will be able te get weather info, messages from friends, monitor radio traffic, listen to hams and even receive targeted info from a ham friend on shore who could broadcast information especially for you. Clearly, you will not be able to transmit. It can be quite enjoyable especially if you ham friends.

Stage 2 - Partial SSB radio setup. Here you get a low power transceiver for $300 (those Chinese 5W/10W units), then have a couple of resonant antennas/wires that you raise on hallyard for the frequencies you need. It will take some experimentation to get the antenna's right but it is just wire than you need to cut to specific lengths. You would probably only be using digital modes (PSK, FT8, CW) at such low power levels but you will still be able to work the world at low speeds.

Phase 3 - Full radio setup which means a solid ground installation, an antenna tuner and a high power radio (150W). $5,000 installed. You can also look at the used market.

I strongly advise to budget your money and time in the hobby category for this project.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 02:20   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
listen to hams and even receive targeted info from a ham friend on shore who could broadcast information especially for you.
Not legally...

Jim
Old 19-01-2021, 08:38   #29

Yes, I am aware of this but I have no requirement for anything except weather fax. At this point I am quite happy with the Tucson 880 and laptop and probably a tablet setup. Any chatting can wait until I am in WiFi zone along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
The cheapest setup usually ends up costing more in the long run but here it goes:

Stage 1 - $200. Tecsun PL-660 SSB receiver plus laptop/android phone to decode. You will be able te get weather info, messages from friends, monitor radio traffic, listen to hams and even receive targeted info from a ham friend on shore who could broadcast information especially for you. Clearly, you will not be able to transmit. It can be quite enjoyable especially if you ham friends.

Stage 2 - Partial SSB radio setup. Here you get a low power transceiver for $300 (those Chinese 5W/10W units), then have a couple of resonant antennas/wires that you raise on hallyard for the frequencies you need. It will take some experimentation to get the antenna's right but it is just wire than you need to cut to specific lengths. You would probably only be using digital modes (PSK, FT8, CW) at such low power levels but you will still be able to work the world at low speeds.

Phase 3 - Full radio setup which means a solid ground installation, an antenna tuner and a high power radio (150W). $5,000 installed. You can also look at the used market.

I strongly advise to budget your money and time in the hobby category for this project.

SV Pizzazz
Old 22-01-2021, 07:29   #30

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Your biggest problem with over the air WEFAX will be achieving a good signal to noise ratio. A number of onboard devices are potential radiators of noise that can markedly diminish the quality of WEFAX reception. The typical Danfoss compressor controller is a common contributor, as are LED driver circuits for cabin and navigation lights, and even your laptop computer itself. Of course, you can always shut most of those items off when trying to get your WEFAX. Atmospheric noise will also be an issue, and this will vary from day to day and from frequency band to band, usually being worse on the lower frequencies. Don't be discouraged when you test ashore or at the marina. Noise interference on land has become a huge problem worldwide, and all the electronic devices on boats in a marina are the worst contributors.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, ssb