Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 14:55   #76

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Chartplotter inside or outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The link I posted includes charts.

Yes. And I'd say for $1000 I think it's the best deal anywhere in Australia. I'd have been seriously interested if I'd not already jumped to a Raymarine.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 20:07   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolfP View Post
I have a 7" chartplotter on a swing arm in the companionway visible from belowdecks when standing in front of it and from the cockpit when sitting in front of it. Neither one of those conditions is condusive to steering. So, I use an iPad at the helm on a DC lighter plug that is visible when there isn't sun on it and too visible at night, and very difficult to work with when it gets sprayed with salt water, which is sometimes when you want to reference it the most - ask me how I know.

So: one day I may move my 7" chartplotter to the helm and if possible get it on a swivel so I can point forward to a seat under the dodger for long offshore passages, with the iPad below, plugged into a DC lighter plug at the nav station, or at times in my cold hands under the dodger. The chartplotter isn't affected by water and spray, it is visible in daylight and night, and can be used in demanding condition of navigating channels, inlets, etc. In the best world I have yet to believably uncover, I can design my route on the iPad below each night, or while traveling, and upload it to the chartplotter, connect it to my AP, and get back to my book. I use Navionics on the iPad right now, compatible with Raymarine, I hear, tho not mine, so I'm looking for a new affordable option for new instrumentation (wind, depth, charts, AP) and iPad/laptop combination. I do really like the ease with which I can create charts on the iPad, though OpenCPN is better on a computer. I'm not sure if I could upload routes from OpenCPN to somebody's plotter, though. Also, power usage of a laptop is higher than an iPad, though OpenCPN is available for Android as well. Hmm. Rambling.

RolfP,
Where did you get your swing arm?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
skilld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 21:28   #78

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Sorry, I don't know it came with the boat. I'll check in the next day or so to so if there is any identifying marks on it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-03-2016, 03:59   #79

I have a pretty small boat, my plotter is also mounted on a swing arm in the companion way.
Used a nice piece of mahogany as the arm with the plotter mount bracket attached.
The pivot is a stainless steel spring loaded kitchen cupboard hinge. The kind that "snaps" into the open and closed positions.
The first attempt just used a plain hinge, didn't work so well, kept swinging back into the cabin in rough seas. Went to Home Depot and found a better hinge.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter