Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 02:59   #1

Chart Plotter

The boat I have just bought originaly had a hummingbird sounder/plotter installed,this was removed before boat was put on the market.

The transducer and wiring are still there.
Does anyone have a view on the hummingbird range,and would it be possible to use another make and be able to connect up to whats there without too much complication?

Not sure if this is a silly question or not ,just not too clued up on elecs.
Cheers
TonyQld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:25   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Sailcraft
Re: Chart Plotter

Hi Tony,
Have had no Hummingbird experience but usually the suppliers make sure you cant retrofit other brands. I do have a friend with a shed full of electronics (in Brisbane), if you happen to know the make and model of the Hummingbird (removed) I can check if he has a second hand unit for you. Cheers MB
Sailcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

It is often the case that when installing new electronics, it is best to replace old stuff with new stuff. While one might be able to match the transducer with a newer display, you will probably end up spending more time and money on fiddling about, plugs, etc. than you get in return. Then, the old transducer may turn out to be a dud. What a drag. Pop for new stuff, you will be happier in the long run. You may also be able to install a new transducer without drilling new holes in the boat, though, that gives you better performance, and can add more data to your display (water temp).
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 22:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcraft View Post
Hi Tony,
Have had no Hummingbird experience but usually the suppliers make sure you cant retrofit other brands. I do have a friend with a shed full of electronics (in Brisbane), if you happen to know the make and model of the Hummingbird (removed) I can check if he has a second hand unit for you. Cheers MB
My problem is the fella I bought the boat off only had it for six months,his situation changed and he had to sell ,the plotter was removed by the owner before him,I have this blokes email and am trying to get a response,just to find out about the sounder ,but more importantly,maybe a little of the boats history.A genealogist at heart I just have to get the full story lol. Fingers crossed I will get a reply..
Cheers Tony
Old 03-06-2012, 22:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
It is often the case that when installing new electronics, it is best to replace old stuff with new stuff. While one might be able to match the transducer with a newer display, you will probably end up spending more time and money on fiddling about, plugs, etc. than you get in return. Then, the old transducer may turn out to be a dud. What a drag. Pop for new stuff, you will be happier in the long run. You may also be able to install a new transducer without drilling new holes in the boat, though, that gives you better performance, and can add more data to your display (water temp).
I am sure you are right Roy.To be honest I had been thinking along those lines.The back of the switch panel looks as though it has an enormous amount of wiring for what is there,,not sure what the go is ,but looks very untidy,, me not being to clever with electrics Ithink your suggestion would be the way to go,there are several areas that need a closer look,I had actualy considered to have the wiring replaced ,just for piece of mind.but that will have to wait untill she is out of the water.
thanks for you interest..Tony
Old 03-06-2012, 23:12   #6

Boat: Peterson 46

Hi Tony,
I would agree with Roy - get new stuff and put it in yourself - you know how it works etc.

Where are you in QLD and what boat have you bought?
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:03   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Tony, On the top of the transducer you should be able to to find some descriptive letters and numbers identifying the model. That will give you a start. If you send these I will try to get an ID of what unit it works with. I didn't realize it was a relatively new depthsounder/chartplotter display.

As for the electrical panel, you can become more familiar with your own boat by grabbing a piece of paper, a pen and a labelmaker. Start by making a generalized schematic. Beginning with the battery(ies), see where the positive and negative cables originate and terminate. That will generally be on a large electrical post, battery switch, engine or whatever. One red cable leaving the battery switch will go to the electrical panel. It should go through a big fuse or a main circuit breaker on the panel. The circuit will then take this power to other circuit breakers or fuses within the panel. These are your boat's electrical circuits. The only time this doesn't work like this is with your engine starter (usually, but not necessarily). Label the wires leaving the individual circuit breakers and see where they go. Label the wire ends at this far connection with the circuit breaker name. You are now well on your way to identifying that tangle of wires. If there are no problems (loose connectors, stretched wires, or unattached dangling wires) you can group them together in neat bundles and secure them with tyraps. No matter what you do now, either continue following up the circuits, or calling an electrician, you will have begun the process of understanding how power runs through your boat. That space behind the panel won't be such a mystery anymore.

As for replacing the actual wire, it can be a costly, and possibly unnecessary task. I replaced my wire, having installed it thirty-some years before, only because electrical materials had vastly improved since I built the boat, and I was going from six original direct current circuits to sixteen, and adding an advanced alternating current system with an inverter. Understand what you have before deciding to tear out and rebuild.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:57   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Tony, You will probably have to replace the wiring since the plug for the Humminbird will not be compatible with any other manufacturer. The transducer may or may not be a problem. Contact Airmar, they make all transducers, and give them the number off the existing transducer if it's there, or the make of the unit it was attached to. Then tell them what new unit you want to connect to. They will tell you if it is compatible. Good luck. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Hi Tony,
I would agree with Roy - get new stuff and put it in yourself - you know how it works etc.

Where are you in QLD and what boat have you bought?
Hi rusky I am in Brisbane,
the boat is a 36ft Sampson lying in Mooloolaba.
It needs a bit of work, fit out a bit shabby and not very well done,and could do with slipping, bottom needs antifoul plus would like to have shaft checked .The boat is a double ender with what I think is an enormous rudder, the term used is barn door I think.,certainly looks like one .need to check fittings on that also.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Tony, On the top of the transducer you should be able to to find some descriptive letters and numbers identifying the model. That will give you a start. If you send these I will try to get an ID of what unit it works with. I didn't realize it was a relatively new depthsounder/chartplotter display.

As for the electrical panel, you can become more familiar with your own boat by grabbing a piece of paper, a pen and a labelmaker. Start by making a generalized schematic. Beginning with the battery(ies), see where the positive and negative cables originate and terminate. That will generally be on a large electrical post, battery switch, engine or whatever. One red cable leaving the battery switch will go to the electrical panel. It should go through a big fuse or a main circuit breaker on the panel. The circuit will then take this power to other circuit breakers or fuses within the panel. These are your boat's electrical circuits. The only time this doesn't work like this is with your engine starter (usually, but not necessarily). Label the wires leaving the individual circuit breakers and see where they go. Label the wire ends at this far connection with the circuit breaker name. You are now well on your way to identifying that tangle of wires. If there are no problems (loose connectors, stretched wires, or unattached dangling wires) you can group them together in neat bundles and secure them with tyraps. No matter what you do now, either continue following up the circuits, or calling an electrician, you will have begun the process of understanding how power runs through your boat. That space behind the panel won't be such a mystery anymore.

As for replacing the actual wire, it can be a costly, and possibly unnecessary task. I replaced my wire, having installed it thirty-some years before, only because electrical materials had vastly improved since I built the boat, and I was going from six original direct current circuits to sixteen, and adding an advanced alternating current system with an inverter. Understand what you have before deciding to tear out and rebuild.

Thankyou for your help Roy,sound advice,labeling the wiring is certainly the way to go for me and I shall be doing that ,sounds obvious now you mention it ,but had not thought to do that.

I will locate the transducer and see what I can find..cheers Roy
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Tony, You will probably have to replace the wiring since the plug for the Humminbird will not be compatible with any other manufacturer. The transducer may or may not be a problem. Contact Airmar, they make all transducers, and give them the number off the existing transducer if it's there, or the make of the unit it was attached to. Then tell them what new unit you want to connect to. They will tell you if it is compatible. Good luck. Chuck

thanks Chuck,will do that
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyQld View Post
Hi rusky I am in Brisbane,
the boat is a 36ft Sampson lying in Mooloolaba.
It needs a bit of work, fit out a bit shabby and not very well done,and could do with slipping, bottom needs antifoul plus would like to have shaft checked .The boat is a double ender with what I think is an enormous rudder, the term used is barn door I think.,certainly looks like one .need to check fittings on that also.
I'm in Brissy as well. Boat in Wynnum Manly Y.C
Old 06-06-2012, 01:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
I'm in Brissy as well. Boat in Wynnum Manly Y.C
Nice rusky.
Done a lot of work around the Manly area,great spot. I have just had contact with the previous owner ,nice bloke,,tells me sounder /plotter was a Hummingbird787C2.so scanned the net ,,price in OZ approx $1500
USA $600-750.massive difference.
I see that the US one is of course loaded with US charts,but what would stop me buying in the states and having it sent over and loading with our stuff,,has anyone done this?
Old 06-06-2012, 14:13   #14

Check with a dealer as the 'pre-loaded' charts might catch you up. If it is a 'chip' then what you say should be OK.

Some one else who has explored this will drop in with an answer.

cheers