Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2016, 11:04   #1

Cetec Benmar Course Setter

After many years of flawless operation last time I turned it on it kept turning to starboard. Turned it off and on again and it repeated the same starboard turn.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting?
Thank you
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 11:37   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Cetec Benmar Course Setter

If it is a 12 V Standard Power Unit discard everything but the power unit. Remove the power unit and connect 12 VDC directly to the motor leads and make sure it will rotate in both directions (reverse polarity to reverse direction). Discard the printed circuit card and add a length of #14 cable directly to the motor leads and out the case. Good time to clean and relube the gear box on the front end.

Pick the modern AP of your choice and have at it. I am driving mine with a Raymarine X-5/ 6002. Working like a charm for several years. Every once and a while under bad sail trim the mechanical clutch in the gear train will slip. Good sign that time to balance the sail plan.

If it is a hydraulic unit probably something similar but no direct experience.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 09:57   #3

Re: Cetec Benmar Course Setter

Thank you Frankly.
I very much like the use of a modern AP with the very robust CB motor drive rather than a wheel pilot that the Raymarine X-5 /6002 was designed for.
Your approach retains the back up for my wheel helm since the Motor drive uses a separate quadrant and cables set.
I am not entirely clear on how to get this done yet but I will look further for a clear step by step plan.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote